Question

What to buy/ Where to start?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

That's an interesting first question.

The second one is a bit easier to deal with. I would expect that Sonos would love to reduce that lag, but are limited by the requirement that the data is buffered to play across a potential 32 speakers on a 2.4GHz wifi signal. At some point, either faster chip processing speed, or a different frequency for wifi might possibly make it so that they're able to reduce that lag. However, I don't see them spending a lot of money/time/effort to chase that goal, due to the fact that, at least in their eyes, the amount of benefit in doing so for a perceived small market of DJ folks isn't worth the expenditure. Or at least, that's the way I would see it. I don't actually work for Sonos, so all of my opinions should be taken as speculation and potential answers, not gospel.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Friends can connect to your system in a number of ways.

As far a DJing is concerned you should be aware that there will be a 70ms delay with audio on the line-in which means that Sonos is not really suitable for that type of use.

How much delay is Imperceptible to the human ears? I wonder if Sonos is thinking of reducing that lag make it appear near real time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Friends can connect to your system in a number of ways.

If they have access to the Wi-Fi network that Sonos occupies then they can control the music as if they were you (Warning - Some people have a**-hole friends, apparently, who revel in messing with music!). They could also connect to the Play 5 via the 3.5mm jack on their phone/tablet. Or your friends could enter their credentials for a music service to which you don't subscribe (You would need to remove those after the event to ensure you weren't breaking the law and also some services limit the number of concurrent streams). As far a DJing is concerned you should be aware that there will be a 70ms delay with audio on the line-in which means that Sonos is not really suitable for that type of use.