Question

What to buy/ Where to start?

Ok, I'm interested in setting up a SONOS sound system throughout my house.

This is what I would like to accomplish.
Living Room: A good speaker connected to the TV. Which also could be used as a speaker for music from the SONOS system.
Game Room: A speaker connected to the SONOS System.
Backyard: A speaker connected to the SONOS System.
One thing is that I would like to have at least one speaker be able to connect to any music device and not use the SONOS app. I want friends to be able to come over and use their phone, or a DJ to use their system to connect to the SONOS system.

This is what I think I will need.
Living Room: SONOS sound bar.
Game Room and Backyard: One Play one, and one Play 5. The play 5 is necessary as it is the only device able to connect to using a 3.5mm jack.

Does this sound correct to you all?

Thanks.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

28 replies

What point are you struggling to make?
Excessive is a subjective thing; buy something else if you see better value elsewhere, as will others. Profiteering has a dictionary definition; look it up. That is the point you may struggle to understand:D.
I don't suppose the OP minds the diversions on this thread since he seems to have obtained the information he wanted...
I haven't seen any increase in prices for Sonos products on Amazon US for many years now. At times there are offers and packs, but these are always transitory, they come and go. Presumably these prices are valid in the US as well.

I'm actually thrilled. I never thought my post about a new speaker system would break out in a discussion about Brexit......

I love it...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Friends can connect to your system in a number of ways.

If they have access to the Wi-Fi network that Sonos occupies then they can control the music as if they were you (Warning - Some people have a**-hole friends, apparently, who revel in messing with music!). They could also connect to the Play 5 via the 3.5mm jack on their phone/tablet. Or your friends could enter their credentials for a music service to which you don't subscribe (You would need to remove those after the event to ensure you weren't breaking the law and also some services limit the number of concurrent streams). As far a DJing is concerned you should be aware that there will be a 70ms delay with audio on the line-in which means that Sonos is not really suitable for that type of use.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Friends can connect to your system in a number of ways.

As far a DJing is concerned you should be aware that there will be a 70ms delay with audio on the line-in which means that Sonos is not really suitable for that type of use.

How much delay is Imperceptible to the human ears? I wonder if Sonos is thinking of reducing that lag make it appear near real time.
That's an interesting first question.

The second one is a bit easier to deal with. I would expect that Sonos would love to reduce that lag, but are limited by the requirement that the data is buffered to play across a potential 32 speakers on a 2.4GHz wifi signal. At some point, either faster chip processing speed, or a different frequency for wifi might possibly make it so that they're able to reduce that lag. However, I don't see them spending a lot of money/time/effort to chase that goal, due to the fact that, at least in their eyes, the amount of benefit in doing so for a perceived small market of DJ folks isn't worth the expenditure. Or at least, that's the way I would see it. I don't actually work for Sonos, so all of my opinions should be taken as speculation and potential answers, not gospel.
Badge
Buy something different - songs price increases this year between 17% and 30% or let me know as I will be selling mine and buying something better:@:@
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Buy something different - songs price increases this year between 17% and 30% or let me know as I will be selling mine and buying something better:@:@

A) There isn't anything better
😎 If you already own Sonos products why does the price of new products affect your listening enjoyment?
Badge
Likely to switch to B&O more expensive but significantly better sound. Samsung are also ahead sound wise.Price affects extending!
I have 2 connect amps, and 2 connects plus bridge and extender - play 3 has gone up £50 since Jan, prices in the US are $ for £
Badge
Object to getting ripped by excessive profiteering price increases - inflation is not that high - also there is clearly price control across all retailers, as there is no price difference between retailers
Dictionary definition of profiteering: making what is considered an unreasonable profit especially on the sale of essential goods during times of emergency
Excessive would be even more of the above.
Feel free to not buy.
It is not possible to profiteer - let alone excessively so - in a market where the customer is free to not buy the offering and other products of the kind are freely and easily available.
Badge
What point are you struggling to make? How is a 17 - 30% price increase not profiteering in a market where inflation is below 3%. How is that not excessive?
Badge
Insult someone and you have lost the debate - I am an expert in retail competition law - I know the definition. It's different in India. Explain the increase @ 5 to 10 times inflation? Play 1 £149 in January - £199 in March - in every outlet!!!
Holy train off the tracks thread......... but that's ok.

I bought a Play 1 and Play 5. The sound is amazing.

So the line in is making me angry. The sound is crap so far. And it looks like if you line in you can only play to the connected speaker and not the Sonos group.

Also. Do you really have to have the full paid version of Spotify to get it to play on Sonos? Buuuuloney..
Explain the increase
Why?
Holy train off the tracks thread......... but that's ok.

So the line in is making me angry. The sound is crap so far. And it looks like if you line in you can only play to the connected speaker and not the Sonos group.

Lol. Apologies!

Sound quality from line in is as good as the source fed into the socket - unless what you facing is music stuttering or stopping which is an interference problem. What is your source?

You CAN play to the group from line in - the connected speaker need not even be playing. Select line in as the input for the main speaker in the group.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Also. Do you really have to have the full paid version of Spotify to get it to play on Sonos? Buuuuloney..

Yes you do, at least, to have it play on Sonos Speakers as part of a services added to the Sonos Controller. (...as opposed to something like being the audio playing on a source device going into your Play 5).

That restriction is placed by Spotify, not Sonos. IMO I find it worth it, but YMMV.

...and as Kumar has said... you can play that line-in source audio to any Sonos product... and do not even have to have it playing on the connected speaker to do so...
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Explain the increase

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/apple/apple-price-rises-uk-apple-brexit-price-hike-iphones-macbooks-apps-go-up-3646277/?amp/

That is a 10-30% increase!!!

Perhaps if you had voted to REMAIN it would have been cheaper? 😛
Badge
It doesn't explain the same increase in the US. You can't use Brexit as an excuse
It doesn't explain the same increase in the US. You can't use Brexit as an excuse

There is no increase in the US. Also US prices do not include VAT or any other taxes, whereas UK prices do. Please take that into account and you will see the pricing is within a few dollars of each other given current exchange rate.
Badge
There was an increase in the US.
The prices were always £ for $. I know there is no VAT in the US
I don't suppose the OP minds the diversions on this thread since he seems to have obtained the information he wanted...
I haven't seen any increase in prices for Sonos products on Amazon US for many years now. At times there are offers and packs, but these are always transitory, they come and go. Presumably these prices are valid in the US as well.
There was an increase in the US.
The prices were always £ for $. I know there is no VAT in the US

No, there wasn't a price increase in the US. Every US price, from $199 for Play:1 to $499 for Play:5, has been the same since launch. Where are you getting your decidedly incorrect information?
Likely to switch to B&O more expensive but significantly better sound. Samsung are also ahead sound wise.Price affects extending!
I have 2 connect amps, and 2 connects plus bridge and extender - play 3 has gone up £50 since Jan, prices in the US are $ for £

So you own 4 Sonos items whose sound quality is 99.99999% dependent on which third party speakers you choose, and you are complaining about Sonos' sound quality?

Something is odoriferous in Amsterdam.