Sonos Roam incoming!!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

One question that I would have would be if you could use these as a computer speaker either through Airplay or Bluetooth.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Wishful thinking on my part that I could have one delivered in the next week 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

What time is the official announcement today -- and is there a link to a press event?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

1 pm PT. If you got an email their is a link to the presentation (although not active yet). I believe you sign up to receive the link on home page. 

Sonos should enable surround functionality for these and the move speakers. Sonos seem to hide behind a row of fanboys, then another row of flimsy excuses.

The move, plus roam, will be speakers more than capable of acting as surrounds. There are no technical limitations here. I started buying Sonos products a couple of years back but am becoming increasingly annoyed by their Apple like tendencies (I also have many apple products). The S2 debacle, lack of support for basic stuff, restrictions set by software have all enraged me in the last 2 years.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

I wonder what material they’ve used to make the casing. That white one looks lovely, but I can see it looking quite shabby after a few months of being thrown into backpacks and used outside. Hope it is ‘washable’ (since waterproof) and hard wearing. 

i had imagined the ‘smaller move’ to resemble the current Move - only shrunk. But I think this form factor will work better for a tryely mobile version. The Move really is more of a luggable replacement for the Play 3 than a properly mobile speaker. 

i wonder if they’ll announce the rumoured headphones on the 9th also or of we’ll have to wait longer for anything official on that front. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

The rumoured new features sound interesting. Not long to wait now to know for sure what the Roam will be capable of. I wonder how soon they’ll be available to order/deliver? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

The rumoured new features sound interesting. Not long to wait now to know for sure what the Roam will be capable of. I wonder how soon they’ll be available to order/deliver? 

Pre orders will probably start later today.  They are supposed to ship in April...which is rather vague.

Website states 

• Delivered by 20 April 2021

for pre-orders. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I pre-ordered a black roam!   Question though about charging - it says this in the FAQ:

“Connect the included USB-C to USB-A cable to a 5V/1A or 2.1A USB power adapter, such as the Sonos Power Adapter.”

Does this mean the Roam has USB-C on its end, but it then plugs into a “regular” USB power adapter, like the one that used to come with every Apple iPhone?  Will that work - the normal iPhone little wall plug (not the newer USB-C ones)?  I don’t know what 2.1A means and if the iPhone wall plugs we used for years are compatible?

I pre-ordered a black roam!   Question though about charging - it says this in the FAQ:

“Connect the included USB-C to USB-A cable to a 5V/1A or 2.1A USB power adapter, such as the Sonos Power Adapter.”

Does this mean the Roam has USB-C on its end, but it then plugs into a “regular” USB power adapter, like the one that used to come with every Apple iPhone?  Will that work - the normal iPhone little wall plug (not the newer USB-C ones)?  I don’t know what 2.1A means and if the iPhone wall plugs we used for years are compatible?

‘V’ is volts and ‘A’ amperage.  Your typical USB charging block (that comes with phones and tablets) is 5V with 1A or 2.1A, so yes you can use they typical phone charger.   Also, there are plenty of portable chargers out there can surely easily double or triple the hours the Roam can go without plugging into an outlet.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

‘V’ is volts and ‘A’ amperage.  Your typical USB charging block (that comes with phones and tablets) is 5V with 1A or 2.1A, so yes you can use they typical phone charger.   Also, there are plenty of portable chargers out there can surely easily double or triple the hours the Roam can go without plugging into an outlet.

I actually plan on using the Roam in the bathroom -- and probably won’t Roam with it anywhere (except maybe between the shower and sink)! :grinning:

Exactly what I will be using mine for. 

I am super excited about this product. I was holding out on purchasing the Megaboom 3 for when I ride my bike. I was hoping for a circular shaped speaker but I am sure there’s something specific about this design. I am curious about the price as well. If it is the rumored $169 USD, it wouldn’t make much sense since the One SL is $10 more.