Sonos Roam incoming!!

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Probably what to Move should have been. I wonder if these can be used as rear speakers for the soundbars.

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/4/22313451/sonos-roam-leak-features-specs-price-release-date

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

I wonder if Sonos has given any thought (if it is even possible?) to include the ability to use the ROAM as a portable trueplay setup device? I understand that the ROAM will come with a mic so that’s a good start.

You could then potentially use the Sonos app running on an Android device to kick off the trueplay function telling it to use the Mic on the Roam to perform trueplay setup for your other Sonos devices on your network.
This would solve the “can’t do trueplay on Android devices because of the variety of mic’s etc” issue.

Ross.

That would be an excellent feature, but I doubt this will be the case.  We are hearing rumors of new features, but that’s not one of them.  Really feels like that would be a rather compelling feature for android users, and I would guess installers as well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

One question that I would have would be if you could use these as a computer speaker either through Airplay or Bluetooth.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

What time is the official announcement today -- and is there a link to a press event?

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

1 pm PT. If you got an email their is a link to the presentation (although not active yet). I believe you sign up to receive the link on home page. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

The rumoured new features sound interesting. Not long to wait now to know for sure what the Roam will be capable of. I wonder how soon they’ll be available to order/deliver? 

The rumoured new features sound interesting. Not long to wait now to know for sure what the Roam will be capable of. I wonder how soon they’ll be available to order/deliver? 

Pre orders will probably start later today.  They are supposed to ship in April...which is rather vague.

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Pre orders will probably start later today.  They are supposed to ship in April...which is rather vague.

Website states 

• Delivered by 20 April 2021

for pre-orders. 

Userlevel 7

Anyone else notice Giles Martin say they are bringing Auto TruePlay for Bluetooth for the Move too?

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

I pre-ordered a black roam!   Question though about charging - it says this in the FAQ:

“Connect the included USB-C to USB-A cable to a 5V/1A or 2.1A USB power adapter, such as the Sonos Power Adapter.”

Does this mean the Roam has USB-C on its end, but it then plugs into a “regular” USB power adapter, like the one that used to come with every Apple iPhone?  Will that work - the normal iPhone little wall plug (not the newer USB-C ones)?  I don’t know what 2.1A means and if the iPhone wall plugs we used for years are compatible?

I pre-ordered a black roam!   Question though about charging - it says this in the FAQ:

“Connect the included USB-C to USB-A cable to a 5V/1A or 2.1A USB power adapter, such as the Sonos Power Adapter.”

Does this mean the Roam has USB-C on its end, but it then plugs into a “regular” USB power adapter, like the one that used to come with every Apple iPhone?  Will that work - the normal iPhone little wall plug (not the newer USB-C ones)?  I don’t know what 2.1A means and if the iPhone wall plugs we used for years are compatible?

‘V’ is volts and ‘A’ amperage.  Your typical USB charging block (that comes with phones and tablets) is 5V with 1A or 2.1A, so yes you can use they typical phone charger.   Also, there are plenty of portable chargers out there can surely easily double or triple the hours the Roam can go without plugging into an outlet.

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

‘V’ is volts and ‘A’ amperage.  Your typical USB charging block (that comes with phones and tablets) is 5V with 1A or 2.1A, so yes you can use they typical phone charger.   Also, there are plenty of portable chargers out there can surely easily double or triple the hours the Roam can go without plugging into an outlet.

I actually plan on using the Roam in the bathroom -- and probably won’t Roam with it anywhere (except maybe between the shower and sink)! :grinning:

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

I actually plan on using the Roam in the bathroom -- and probably won’t Roam with it anywhere (except maybe between the shower and sink)! :grinning:

Exactly what I will be using mine for.