Sonos Roam incoming!!

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +15

I am not sure why someone would have these as rear surround home theater speakers when you can get what will be seemingly better sounding speakers in the One and One SL for just $10 more. This product has a niche of product uses and market that it is going after. This is going after UE and JBL directly with the bonus of incorporating into the Sonos ecosystem. UE has like 6 products. This product will sufficiently target in some way all 6. I think it’s a great fit. My use, replacing my bathrooms’ Amazon Alexa Echo puck speakers with this. I tried a Play 1 and it couldn’t stand up to the humidity. As a bonus, when we go to the park, out walking, or to other events and activities, these will be perfect especially if you can pair them up. I don’t know why the power/battery management issue is considered a bug; isn’t that the case with just about all similar speakers, they bleed out over time even if they don’t get used.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I assume these will use the same power/battery management as the Moves so will go flat in a few days off the Dock too.  If they don't then there's no reason not to apply it to those and fix the long standing, but now ignored, issue.

They need to fix this bug. Speaking for myself only, if the battery drain is present with this speaker I won’t be buying it. 

Although I really like the idea of using these for surrounds speakers, as I think the aesthetic appeal would be very appealing...you’re probably right. 

Assuming the can be used as surrounds, they’ll appeal to many due to their size, no wires, wall mountable maybe (?). The Symfonisk and the One for me are too big for surrounds, we have smaller living rooms in the UK :)

Not exactly no wires since it will need to be charging when not in use.  Perhaps a positive is that USB is low voltage wiring, and...depending on local electrical codes...are probably a lot easier to put behind walls.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Although I really like the idea of using these for surrounds speakers, as I think the aesthetic appeal would be very appealing...you’re probably right. 

Assuming the can be used as surrounds, they’ll appeal to many due to their size, no wires, wall mountable maybe (?). The Symfonisk and the One for me are too big for surrounds, we have smaller living rooms in the UK :)

Pretty safe to assume they WON’T work as surrounds.  Suspect they will be exactly the same as the moves on the Sonos integration front with just smaller internal speakers etc.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

I assume these will use the same power/battery management as the Moves so will go flat in a few days off the Dock too.  If they don't then there's no reason not to apply it to those and fix the long standing, but now ignored, issue.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

If the Sonos Move cannot be used as surround speakers, I doubt these will have that functionality. Also the One SLs are only $10 more and probably sound much better as surround speakers.

Also very curious about the sound quality.  The size makes me think it can’t sound like much.   Then again, it’s Sonos and they have standards.  As well it’s not cheap, so it can’t sound cheap.  Then again, they likely can’t have it sound as good as a Move for example, since you could buy 2 Roams for less than the price of a Move.   You could speculate that it won’t sound as good as a Sonos One either, perhaps something a little less than that.  Don’t know.

So we know it has a built in voice assistant like the Move, and can be stereo paired in WiFi only.  Can it be charged by a normal USB-C charger that you use for a phone?  Does it have auto Trueplay?  Can it be used as a speaker phone (mic on during BT mode).  Any other surprise features?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

If the Sonos Move cannot be used as surround speakers, I doubt these will have that functionality. Also the One SLs are only $10 more and probably sound much better as surround speakers.

Or the Ikea Symfonisk speakers. They are great as surrounds and cheap too. 

I am super excited about this product. I was holding out on purchasing the Megaboom 3 for when I ride my bike. I was hoping for a circular shaped speaker but I am sure there’s something specific about this design. I am curious about the price as well. If it is the rumored $169 USD, it wouldn’t make much sense since the One SL is $10 more. 

When you compare it to the Megaboom 3’s MSRP of $200, the $169 price tag makes sense.

You are right! I was thinking about the holiday prices. 

Userlevel 7

I am super excited about this product. I was holding out on purchasing the Megaboom 3 for when I ride my bike. I was hoping for a circular shaped speaker but I am sure there’s something specific about this design. I am curious about the price as well. If it is the rumored $169 USD, it wouldn’t make much sense since the One SL is $10 more. 

When you compare it to the Megaboom 3’s MSRP of $200, the $169 price tag makes sense.

Userlevel 7