Shambolic & Frustrating experience attempting to purchase from Sonos Shop in Europe

• 20 August 2018
  • 37 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Ordered yesterday from Europe shop (12.00 BST). In seconds I received confirmation from Paypal.

24 hrs later there was still no confirmation from Sonos.

So, I phoned Sales contact number (Netherlands) - on hold for 15 minutes - then connected to UK agent (???). All this at international phone rates.

The agent was able to discover the order and informed me it was in the delivery system. I received a confirnation e-mail from him giving me the actual order number..

I just checked via my account for Orders - There are no orders listed!

This purchase was intended as a birthday present for Thursday - I took the Sonos blurb at face value (delivery within 2 working days).

So far, this has been a VERY negative experience.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +11
You order it. You receive it. Why is that 1 star. That your expectation exceeds their system seems to be your problem. You have been spolit by vendors who pander to you.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
I ordered it and received no information about the purchase. It's 2018 not 1998. This the first purchase I've made for years where there's no purchase information. The whole system is amateurish - why did I not get a confirmation of my order, why did I get seven identical emails saying the item has been dispatched ? Why no tracking information? Sonos Customer Care haven't even got the gumption to reply to my request for tracking info.

1 star is generous in my book.

By the way, I haven't received anything.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Update

I have finally received notification of delivery - all 7 separate emails announcing the same information !!! ???

Good grief
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
... item sent BUT no courier or tracking information given.

'How would you rate your experience buying from the Sonos Shop?' - 1 star or less
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Agreed - but my complaint is the chaotic state of Sonos' communications to me as the customer. I have finally been given a tracking number (and apology for the error). A tracking number for which courier, as the email doesn't mention the courier's name? Just as well I recalled seeing DHL somewhere in the Sonos blurb ....
I wish I would have read this before I placed my order. The money is gone from my account, no order confirmation (60 minutes ago). Phone support tells me to call back next business day. No order under my account is visible. Very disappointed, wish I had ordered from a reseller instead.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
2 days delivery ???

Tomorrow will be 4 days ....
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
... and now the 'Shipment is on hold' .....
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
So, 7 days later from my original order, the package is still on hold. No replies from Sonos explaining what is going on. .... they have my money, and I have nothing.

This. in my book, is disgraceful performance and behaviour from a so-called responsible company. It has all the hallmarks of a scam.
castalla,

Is this the UK/European parcel delivery company (UPS etc.) that has placed your parcel on hold? You didn’t say who you were referring to exactly?
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
DHL ... but I've informed Sonos twice about this situation, and I expect them to do something about it. They choose the carrier.
I've also contacted DHL with no response..
So it’s DHL, only it seemed like you were blaming Sonos for putting your parcel on hold. I guess companies put their faith in a delivery company when they hand their goods to them, after which point, things are usually somewhat beyond their control.

Perhaps, come Monday Sonos may chase up the problem with DHL. Meanwhile it looks to me like your issue is really with DHL.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Nice try to absolve Sonos ! I have no real issue with DHL as I have no ownership of the item until I accept delivery - Sonos choose the carrier (I have no choice in the matter). I've informed them of the situation ... Let's see what happens on Monday.
At least it’s free delivery. I wasn’t trying to absolve Sonos, though it does seem they dispatched it in good time and sent you the tracking reference... I would certainly not have seen that as the hallmarks of a scam.

It’s when the tracking number proves false, that I would have been concerned.

It’s still early days yet and sometimes things can occasionally go wrong with parcel delivery, as I’m sure many of us have experienced ourselves in the past. I’m usually quite thankful it’s free delivery and that it is showing en-route, but I tend to be slightly more patient about these type of things. It’s hardly worth stressing over sometimes.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Of course, I've had delivery issues before. But Sonos takes the biscuit on this one - look back at the comedy of errors since I placed the order. I've had to crowbar info out of them at every step, and all to no avail. I just want somebody at Sonos to take responsibility for this and sort it out without further delay.
Looking back over your posts above, it’s not really that bad, I’ve had far worse problems with many other reputable companies myself in the past. You PayPal payment is protected anyway, so you have a fall-back 'safety net' position anyway.

The initial 'confirmation of order' issue was hardly worth your effort as you had the PayPal receipt anyway. Even if the Sonos systems were down, most companies will have a paper trail anyway. The seven receipts just confirms they probably had a system error... I would have ditched the six mails and just kept the one.. that’s the end of that really.

The parcel tracking at least shows there is something on its way to you... the fact that DHL have put it on hold is a separate matter and something to take up with them perhaps, but as far as you’re concerned it’s a free delivery service anyway.

It’s only been a week (five working days so far) and hardly worth stressing over at this point, most folk I know, just deal with it. It’s not even worth shouting about at this point in time, like I say we all have the occasional 'glitch' when it comes to ordering goods online. Your matter has hardly begun, compared to some of the problems I have encountered in the past from other suppliers.

Even if your goods happened to arrive damaged, for example, (hope they don’t) ..you just simply ask the company to replace them. I don’t see that there is all that much to complain about at this point, none of us live in a perfect world.
Nice try to absolve Sonos ! I have no real issue with DHL as I have no ownership of the item until I accept delivery - Sonos choose the carrier (I have no choice in the matter). I've informed them of the situation ... Let's see what happens on Monday.
Not sure if you’re from the UK, or your parcel is going via the UK, but it’s also the August bank holiday weekend period, which possibly means you may not get much from DHL until Tuesday. I mention that, so at least it allows you to not be too disappointed, come Monday, if your parcel has still not arrived by then.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
The parcel left Brussels on Monday then stopped in Barcelona on Tuesday ....

Appreciate your comments in any event

Cheers
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Another day passes ... and still on hold

sigh
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Castalla, allow me to lend some clarity to the situation. Once we hand over your goods to the carrier, it is their advice that the customer contact them directly. Correct, the choice of carrier was ours and ours alone, though this is not a policy exclusive to DHL. I would assume that they indeed had some form of system error that resulted in their failure to provide the necessary tracking information. Normally they are very prompt in doing so.

Are you in the United Kingdom? Perhaps your delivery is being affected by the bank holiday at the moment; I assume you are aware that not much is in operation during such junctures. Admittedly, this does not account for the delay leading up to the bank holiday. Again, only DHL could clarify as to why this may have occurred. If you send me your order details by direct message, I will attempt to dig up some more information regarding your order. Please include your e-mail address, order number and post code.

In the meantime I would - once more - strongly urge you to contact DHL.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Finally - package arrived this morning! TV setup was easy - integrating the Beam into my existing network is proving to be more of a challenge!
Finally - package arrived this morning! TV setup was easy - integrating the Beam into my existing network is proving to be more of a challenge!
If we can help in anyway, then let us know and we will try to assist.
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
@KG

Thanks! Put your thinking cap on!

The network setup is a nightmare!

I already have Sonos set up on one router - the Beam couldn't connect. So I switched to a second wifi network - success! However, the first issue was that I had to reset the controller app on the PC - so now it can't be used for the original network.

I would like to attempt to switch the Beam onto the original network - the app instructions for this are useless as they only refer to changing a password .... I'm confused.

As an aside (and this is for a different thread) Alexa works up to a point - basic commands, but no access to Tunein, etc. Keeps asking me to discover devices in Alexa (which fails to discover the Beam, even tho' it's listed as an alexa device in the alexa app).

I suspect this is going to need a new thread!
Okay but bear with me, as I do have a Birthday meal this evening for a family member... but let’s start here with the basics.

The good news is looking back through your community posts, you seem to have some knowledge already of the way Sonos works. Although it does sound already like you may have split your Sonos network into two separate Sonos Households by mistake.

Starting first with your network... is your setup just a basic central ISP-provided router, or are you using a mesh system like orbi, velop, google hubs etc.

Do you have any repeaters, extenders or powerline adapters about your home in order to extend the WiFi signal?

Is your PC the only Sonos Controller, or do you also use any other mobile controllers? Android, or iOS etc.

I have other questions to ask, but let’s go with these to start with..
Userlevel 6
Badge +14
Okay - no rush - enjoy the meal!

1. I have two ISPs. So, 2 routers. One is used for usual devices (PCs, smart speakers, etc.). Second is only for FireTV box (and now the Beam)

The Beam failed to connect to One, so I used the closer Second router - just to get it going.

2. No extenders, etc.

3. Sonos app on PC - android app on 1 smartphone using One router, android app on 2 smartphone using Second router.

I can control the original sonos devices using only the android on One. Beam control via 2 smartphone and PC app (using second network).
The PC app *using first network fails to show anything

Complicated or what?

(Anyway to have 2 instances of the PC app? I'm not a fan of android apps and these fiddly phone thingies!)

PS. Should we start a new thread?