Answered

Spotify problems

• 16 March 2021
  • 37 replies

Userlevel 1

So i’m having problems with spotify playing through Sonos. Whenever I change songs manually, wheter it is through the Spotify app or Sonos app I get a pretty big delay on the songs Im playing. If I tap a song it will start to play on 1 or 2 sonos units and then connect the rest 15-20 seconds into the song, which is pretty annoying. 

Funny thing is, when the songs change by them self going through a playlist I will not experience any delay at all.

What can be causing this problems?

For information:
I have 7 play 1 units, 1 play 3 and 1 play 5 gen 2 and a boost.

I have great internet connection and my apartment is only 83 square meters so distance between shouldn’t be a problem.

icon

Best answer by Xander P 18 March 2021, 09:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

It’s been an issue for a long time, so I’m hoping the more feedback that can be sent to Spotify, the more they’ll get on the ball and fix the issue. I’m afraid if it was truly something on the Sonos side of things, it would be impacting other services as well, which seems not to be the case. 

It’s been an issue for a long time, so I’m hoping the more feedback that can be sent to Spotify, the more they’ll get on the ball and fix the issue. I’m afraid if it was truly something on the Sonos side of things, it would be impacting other services as well, which seems not to be the case. 

Problem is….my Sonos simply doesn’t work now because of this, as Spotify is my core service. But you are correct, all we have here is hope. And that shouldn’t be the case. The money this has all cost me (and ongoing Spotify charges) should mean this doesn’t happen in the first place….

But Sonos doesn’t receive any of that revenue you speak of. It shouldn’t happen, certainly, but all Sonos does in the equation is point their ‘player’ to a designated server that Spotify owns. 

Problem is….my Sonos simply doesn’t work now because of this, as Spotify is my core service. But you are correct, all we have here is hope. And that shouldn’t be the case. The money this has all cost me (and ongoing Spotify charges) should mean this doesn’t happen in the first place….

What is your setup @Bumpyfunk, what router are you using, what Wifi channels and channel-width are in use and is it only happening with grouped or standalone Sonos devices?.. if you can provide more info, including switches (managed or unmanaged) and details of wired products, there maybe some other things to try to perhaps resolve your issue.

Hi there, 

I’ve had my Sonos set up wonderfully for more than 2 years now and all of a sudden I can’t play off Spotify on my phone or laptop. The songs keep getting cut off or playback is choppy or new tracks just start - it’s a disaster. All my music is on Spotify. And I cannot understand why this would suddenly happen? 

The error message I keep getting is: “playback has been interrupted as your WiFi network is unstable” which is impossible. I’ve had it checked and serviced when this happened, no issues found, plus all my video calls work well and watching Netflix with my laptop connected to Sonos works perfectly fine too. It’s really just the music streaming platforms (radio is choppy, Soundcloud starts badly then sort of settles down). 

Please help!

‘Your network is unstable’ is not the same thing as your entire network, it’s just the connection between your Sonos devices and your WiFi router that is being evaluated. Most frequently, this is due to simple wifi interference of some type, including outside influences. I once got that message when I had a new neighbor move in, their wifi signal was on the same channel I had been using, and caused enough interference to affect my system. 

There’s also the much smaller chance of it not being WiFi related at all, but a network issue, such as a DNS problem, or duplicate IP addresses, etc. If the above linked FAQ doesn’t help, you may want to do a simple refresh of your Sonos devices’ connections, by unplugging them all from power. While they’re unplugged, reboot your router. Once the router comes back up, plug back in your Sonos devices. 

However, if neither of those solutions resolve the problem, I would recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of seeing that ‘error’, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Same problem here, have tried everything around the router. Other services work fine but when we try and use Spotify it sometimes works, sometimes doesnt and when it goes wrong and loses connection we then have problems with the Sonos. This has been going on and off for over 6 months.

Like others nothing has changed with the Sonos system, positioning or the router. Im guessing it has to be a spotify specific issue.

Solved! Carried on browsing and found the answer elsewhere and its connected up with no issues immediately.

In Spotify set “Device Broadcast Status” to on and set “Show Local Devices Only” to on.

Badge

Spotify and Sonos DO NOT play well together. Why can’t there just be Spotify WITHIN the Sonos app? They have radio stations there! If I use Spotify and Sonos, then technically I have TWO apps on my phone, to send music to my Sonos speakers. I have rebooted router, Sonos, uninstall and reinstall Spotify, etc. All useless.

My workaround is this. I have a beam on my TV with 2 Sonos 1 SL speakers. I added Spotify on my Roku as an app there. When I stream to my TV, which is really Sonos speakers, it works fine.

Anything on my phone app simply DOES NOT WORK. The default is to play music on my phone. WHY would I do that? I want to send music to my Sonos speakers. Since Sonos costs literally HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS you would think it would work better. Spotify should be within Sonos so I just stream with one app.

Again, Spotify and Sonos DO NOT play well together. No matter what the web marketing says from either of them.

Hi,

Pocket Casts is not working on Sonos for the past week already. Any information regarding this?

An odd comment to be made on a Spotify thread.

Have you checked the “view real time service status” page? There’s a link on this very forum to it….

Have you checked with Pocket Casts? They’re the people who control the servers that you’re connecting to. I’d also be trying a simple reboot of both your router  and your speakers, to make sure they’ve all got “fresh” information.

Badge

OK, I found a solution for me, but had to do sonos support chat to get it.

Spotify did not show up in services list. When I clicked on connect, it would never connect to sonos.

On my sonos web account, there was no country selected. I had to select country, which does work with Spotify (USA). Then had to reboot Sonos speakers. Then….spotify DID show up in services list. Now I can play spotify on sonos system no problem.

Had to do support chat to get this. I could not find this on the web anywhere. Glad it works now.