Answered

Spotify problems

• 16 March 2021
  • 37 replies

Userlevel 1

So i’m having problems with spotify playing through Sonos. Whenever I change songs manually, wheter it is through the Spotify app or Sonos app I get a pretty big delay on the songs Im playing. If I tap a song it will start to play on 1 or 2 sonos units and then connect the rest 15-20 seconds into the song, which is pretty annoying. 

Funny thing is, when the songs change by them self going through a playlist I will not experience any delay at all.

What can be causing this problems?

For information:
I have 7 play 1 units, 1 play 3 and 1 play 5 gen 2 and a boost.

I have great internet connection and my apartment is only 83 square meters so distance between shouldn’t be a problem.

icon

Best answer by Xander P 18 March 2021, 09:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

37 replies

Userlevel 7

Try rebooting your router and unplugging your Boost for about a minute. Also try removing Spotify from your music services in the Sonos app and re-adding it.

Userlevel 1

So, now I’ve tried your solutions, but the problem is still there. Keeps losing connection to serveral of my speakers… 

I’ve noticed many having problems with Spotify through Sonos, could Spotify be the problem here?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @JonathanB, welcome to the Sonos Community!

We did experience a brief outage with Spotify yesterday, however that has since cleared up - are you still having issues with Spotify playback?

If you’re typically experiencing issues when speakers are grouped, it could be that the first room in the group is having issues with interference, or poor connection - do you have the same issues if you start the group from a room closer to the Boost?

Userlevel 1

Haha, I really have no idea whats wrong with these speakers, but somehow it works like a charm now.. :D

I’ve had these problems for over a year now and suddenly when I got home from work today it just...worked? Must be something with the hard reset of router that did the trick, i guess.

So for now, thank you guys :D

I am also having recurring problems with playing Spotify through SONOS, but all other music and radio services working just fine. So no trouble with ethernet. 

Either songs don’t play at all, or they play 5-30 seconds and then “connection to spotify is lost” comes up. This is sooooo frustrating. 

And now SONOS says that Spotify is limiting the number of rooms that I can play in. That is just not true. I am playing in only one room currently. Also, I have a Family premium subscription which means I can have multiple accounts if I want. Please fix this really annoying problems you are having with Spotify. 

I have also had this problem for a long time, and see that a lot of others have too over the last year.

I’ve followed all the normal advice - disconnect/reconnect Spotify account, deleted and reinstalled both apps, restarted router, checked the Sonos devices are connected to the same network as my phone (one Sonos device is right next to the router), tried starting playing only on that device, tried controlling with another device...  But still having no luck.

I have a Beam, a Sonos One and a Play5 (gen1) running on S1 app (iPhone/iPad). Please can you help.

Getting really frustrated now. All of my music collection is curated through Spotify but I keep getting error message ‘connection to spotify is lost’.  Worked fine up until a week ago; nothing on my network has changed.  I’ve deleted and re-added the app. I've tried connecting to sonos from spotify app. Nothing seems to work.

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Charlieboy77, having a Sonos device right beside the router may actually be causing the issues here - I’d recommend creating some distance between the speaker and the router, at least a metre if possible, and then rebooting the router & Sonos devices once more.

When the system is back online, is playback from Spotify more consistent? If not, it may be worth getting in touch with our Support Team to take a closer look at the system.

@Coooops I can understand the frustration - have you tried a network reboot, starting with the router and any mesh nodes or extenders, followed by each Sonos device? It may also help to connect a speaker directly via Ethernet as a test - if you’re able to play to the single speaker with a direct connection without issue, then that would indicate that there’s an issue with the wireless communication. Let us know how you get on :)

@Coooops I can understand the frustration - have you tried a network reboot, starting with the router and any mesh nodes or extenders, followed by each Sonos device? It may also help to connect a speaker directly via Ethernet as a test - if you’re able to play to the single speaker with a direct connection without issue, then that would indicate that there’s an issue with the wireless communication. Let us know how you get on :)

I’ve tried the re-boot without success.  Haven’t yet connected via ethernet.  The system and my phone/desktop are connected to the same network; I have no network speed issues. I am using a mix of old and new tech with a Connect Amp, a Play:5 series 1 and 2 One SL speakers.

I’ve tried the re-boot without success.  Haven’t yet connected via ethernet.  The system and my phone/desktop are connected to the same network; I have no network speed issues. I am using a mix of old and new tech with a Connect Amp, a Play:5 series 1 and 2 One SL speakers.

It seems to be confined to Spotify. Tunein radio service is working fine

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Understood, thanks for that - would it be possible to test playing to a single, wired Sonos device? This should help to confirm if the issue is with the wireless connection or not.

You can also reach out to the Support Team via live chat or phone call to take a closer look at the system and perform some live troubleshooting as well :)

So, I think I’ve isolated the problem. Spotify will connect as normal as long as I don't use my series one Play:5 unit.  If I connect this to Spotify, either in isolation or grouped with other speakers, then I get the ‘lost connection to Spotify’ message.  The software on the Play:5 is up to date, I’ve re-set it to factory settings and re added it without success.  This is only a Spotify problem, other music sources seem to work fine.

Any ideas?

Userlevel 6
Badge +15

Hi @Coooops, understood - thanks for getting back to us.

To rule out an issue with the network, would it be possible to try setting the Play:5 up as a new system, using a mobile Hotspot?

You would need two mobile devices for this - one to host the mobile Hotspot, and another with the Sonos & Spotify apps installed, and connected to the Hotspot WiFi.

Once you’re connected, if you Factory Reset the Play:5, and then set it up as a new system using the S1 app, configured for the Hotspot wireless network, are you able to add and play your Spotify content?

(You may need to reset the Sonos app to get the option to set up a new system - you can do this in the app by going to Settings > App Preferences > Reset App)

Same problem here.  Came out of nowhere.  Tried all the above with no solution.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

After adding a song to the queue with ’play next’ about 10 seconds from the end of the current song it comes up ‘unable to play the song is not encoded correctly’ and then skips to next track?

I can manually go back and play no problem. 
This only happens on Spotify and not on soundcloud but it’s been winding me up for a few weeks now. 
If I add the song twice it skips the first one then plays the second one normally.

After over 3 hours with Sonos unplugging things, resetting, sending diagnostics, etc and over an hour with BT looking at router I’m still no further. 😩

I also have a problem of communication between SONOS and SPOTIFY, I have 3 Sonos Play 1. The song never meets the end, keeps stopping without a reason, after a few seconds it changes by itself to the next one..   This problem has been happening for more than a month.

Having the same issue. Have a Sonos One SL. Have it in the babies nursery and so cant hard wire. 

It worked perfectly for 7 months .. even better than we hoped. 

Now more often than not it will start a track, play for two seconds, pause, skip, play 10 seconds .. 
VERY frustrating when trying to help a baby sleep which is why we bought this device specifically. 

Found some joy in deleting and reinstalling the Sonos app - but that cant be a long term solution…?

Wifi strength - via Orbi network - is 100%, my wifi and I both have our Spotify accounts connected into the Sonos app. Both use iPhone 11. And as I say it was no issue for months. So don’t know what changed?

I have met the same problem before. You can try my method. You can remove Spotify and then re-add it. Or you can find some tools to download the Spotify songs to avoid delay.

The problem occurs again. I am using Sonos One SL. The WIFI connection is great. And I am tired of uninstalling and reinstalling the Sonos app. I am considering the safety of using Spotify converter like Audkit to download Spotify playlists then stream to Sonos. Could it be a good solution?

Exactly same here. Sonos works with Soundcloud/radio etc. Spotify is obviously the issue. Removed/readded the service. No change. Reset router, no change.

I have a Play 1 (3 years old)

I have a ONE (18 months old)

I have a Beam (6 months old)

I have resorted to playing music on the tv via YouTube, but it’s a shoddy alternative. EVERYTHING works other than Spotify. I may just bin Spotify off, but most of my playlists are there. I’d have to redo over 10 years of playlists. 🙈 

Exactly same here. Sonos works with Soundcloud/radio etc. Spotify is obviously the issue. Removed/readded the service. No change. Reset router, no change.

I have resorted to playing music on the tv via YouTube, but it’s a shoddy alternative. EVERYTHING works other than Spotify. I may just bin Spotify off, but most of my playlists are there. I’d have to redo over 10 years of playlists. 🙈 

What’s really confusing/frustrating, is that using the Sonos app, the search via Spotify works just fine. It’s only when I try and play the song, does it ‘lose connection’ (but the search function keeps working). It makes no sense at all.

What’s really confusing/frustrating, is that using the Sonos app, the search via Spotify works just fine. It’s only when I try and play the song, does it ‘lose connection’ (but the search function keeps working). It makes no sense at all.

In fact, I just tried Air Play direct from Spotify and it works a treat. Just not via the Sonos app.

There’s obviously a clash between the apps. Can somebody fix it please? That part isn’t my job. 😂

It would need to be Spotify, since the Sonos is merely getting data from their servers. Sonos has already indicated in many threads that they’re working with Spotify engineers to resolve the issue. You may get a timeline if you were to contact Spotify directly. Sonos doesn’t control the Spotify servers, so Sonos wouldn’t have any idea how many resources are being applied. 

It would need to be Spotify, since the Sonos is merely getting data from their servers. Sonos has already indicated in many threads that they’re working with Spotify engineers to resolve the issue. You may get a timeline if you were to contact Spotify directly. Sonos doesn’t control the Spotify servers, so Sonos wouldn’t have any idea how many resources are being applied. 

I hope you’re right Bruce. Spotify is the main reason I use Sonos. My mates who use Bose with Tidal don’t get this stuff……