Answered

Arc issues with no sound in some apps on Apple TV 4K.

• 11 October 2020
  • 4 replies

Badge

Hi

i decided to switch my old playbar to an Arc. While impressed with the sound I have issues with some streaming apps doesn’t output any sound at all. It’s now disconnected and I am currently using the TVs built in speakers.

The Arc is connected to a Samsung UE55KS8005 to its HDMI ARC port. I mainly use an Apple TV 4K to stream content. Now to the strange part. Some apps, like Netflix and Disney+ is working as expected. As well PlayStation 4 and raspberry pi. But some apps is streaming video but no audio. For instance, a Swedish public tv app SVT Play. A friend has the exact same setup and it works at his place, except the TV that is different.

It’s strange because I would believe that the Apple TV outputs audio in the same way for all apps. The only way to get the sound from those apps is through airplay but that’s a workaround I’m not that interested in.

Anyone have a clue on how to fix it? I would deeply appreciate a solution to this so that I can enjoy my new Arc.

thanks in advance!

edit: in the ATV audio output settings I only have one option to use, others are airplay or other Apple TV’s. I have mine in Swedish but direct translation would be TV Speakers (HDMI). It seems something is missing here, right? Using tvOS 14 by the way.

icon

Best answer by Stuffu 11 October 2020, 22:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Badge

Ok so it turned out to be a tv setting after all… changed from bitstream to PCM and it works. Just one additional question, should the sound format be pcm or Dolby digital? Those are the options I have in the tv.

thanks!

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Stuffu.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us and for your update on what fixed your issue so other members of the community that have the same issue as yours may find this topic helpful and try it out as well. I’m glad that everything is working now. I fo hope you continue to love and enjoy your Sonos.

Just one additional question, should the sound format be pcm or Dolby digital? I would suggest set it to Dolby Digital if you have the Sonos Sub and 2 surrounds bonded to your Sonos Arc. Otherwise, PCM will just be fine. Bitstream is not yet a supportted home theater audio format. This guide have all the information about Unsupported audio on your home theater speaker.

I hope this helps.

Please let us know or create a topic if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge

Hi

thanks for replying. I’m using arc with sub, no surrounds (additional speakers is not wife approved).

when I used pcm the sound quality wasn’t very good. Much too loud bass and if I lowered the volume, it was hard to hear dialogue, with Dolby digital it was way better.

I’m looking to buy a new tv soon. Maybe it will be better in general with lpcm support in arc as well as a tv that supports it. From what I understood I need a tv with lpcm support even if the source (Apple TV) outputs lpcm as well. I don’t think my current tv has passthrough.

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @Stuffu.

Thanks for your immediate response.

Currently, LPCM on the Sonos Arc is not yet supported. The priority feature you may want to consider prior to buying a TV is if the TV does support HDMI eArc as this is a key feature that is key to the Sonos Arc to have Dolby Atmos. Not all TV does support HDMI eARC Another option is we can always reach out to other members of the community to check their recommendations and feedback.  Once we have confirmed that the TV does support HDMI eARC then we can proceed with the second validation if the TV would support LPCM for future reference. I would also suggest subscribing to our announcement topic for any feature updates and releases.

Let us try to reach out to other members of the community by creating a topic or leaving a comment on this thread. We are all here to help.

Thanks,