Skip to main content

Sonss Play 3 DEAD!!!

Well our Play 3 speaker is dead!!!!  Troubleshooted with Sonos and they stated yes indeed the speaker

is dead!  Unbelievable!  Thought I was buying a good quality product that would last and last.  Speaker is

7 yrs old and well taken care of.   Instead it is junk.  Only recourse Sonos would do for me is have me send the old speaker back and give me a 30% discount for a new product.  I am not sure if I will do that or wait for our other two speakers to die and go with another brand!!!

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @DJB64 

Welcome to the Sonos Community! And, apologies for the delay.

I’m sorry to hear that your Play:3 stopped functioning. The unit is well past it's warranty date, and for all we know, you kept it directly under a drip from the ceiling (I’m not saying you did, I’m just saying that someone who did wouldn’t say so).

All electronic devices can have a varied life span - two devices that come of the same factory line at the same time can have wildly different lifespans, for random reasons. One might last 2 years, the other might last 20. Generally, when a device fails due to a flaw in it’s construction, it happens within one year - this is why warranties are typically of this length. To ensure that a unit will last much longer takes significant extra cost - cost that can only be passed on to the customer at sale. The extreme end of this would be NASA - you can bet they test a laptop extensively before spending thousands on the fuel to get it into space, and they will spend a lot of money doing those tests. With consumer products, this is not a viable option. 

Perhaps you can take your Play:3 to a local repair shop? Please bear in mind that if they cannot repair it, we will then not accept an opened unit in return for a discount - in essence, you would be gambling the chance of getting it successfully repaired against the chance of us not accepting it anymore for the 30% discount. It’s your choice.

I hope this helps.

Well our Play 3 speaker is dead!!!!  Troubleshooted with Sonos and they stated yes indeed the speaker

is dead!  Unbelievable!  Thought I was buying a good quality product that would last and last.  Speaker is

7 yrs old and well taken care of.   Instead it is junk.  Only recourse Sonos would do for me is have me send the old speaker back and give me a 30% discount for a new product.  I am not sure if I will do that or wait for our other two speakers to die and go with another brand!!!

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

if it lasted you only 2-3 years I would have sympathy.  While all of us would hope that our products last decades, that is not the reality of the world we live in.  While disappointing, at seven years you don’t really have much recourse.   There is not another company out there that would give you a 30% trade-in on a 7yr purchase that cost just $300.  Try asking this from Sony, Denon, Yamaha etc.    I understand the disappointment — we have all been there - but your expectations are just unreasonable, plain and simple.  

Play 3 is dead 

won’t power on at all

how do I get 30% discount on this useless brick?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Play 3 is dead 

won’t power on at all

how do I get 30% discount on this useless brick?

https://www.sonos.com/en-us/upgrade

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

I believe a Play:3 is only eligible for a 15% standard upgrade as it is S2 compatible. It’s only the S1 products that automatically qualify for a 30% discount and you don’t need to return it to Sonos. 

I’d imagine the 30% on a Play:3 is an offer from Sonos Support, and may require you to send back the dead Play:3. 

I’d call Sonos Support and see what they can offer. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Well, I had a 4 year old Sonos Connect 2 quite literally blow up (loud bang and smoke from the base) while doing a factory reset on it on Friday. Definitely not working now! Not called Sonos support yet, just don’t have enough spare time to wait on hold!

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Sometimes if you call Support about a dead unit they can be more helpful than the standard discount.

Might want to get your mind in a good place before calling, being nice to the tech is a really good policy.