PLAY 5 Not connecting over wireless

• 18 February 2017
  • 67 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

I have the same issue; since a few days the wifi connection of the Play5 (gen2) is no longer working, while other Play 1 devices continue to work wireless. when connecting the Play with LAN cable, it's working again.

Opened diag case: 7161494
Badge
Same problem with gen 1 Play 5. I have it connected via ethernet and it constantly drops out. I have 2 play 1s wirelessly linked as as a stereo pair in the same room as the 5, with everything running on WM:0, these also have the same problem. Changed all the channels and all the other stuff you are told to do. But still the same problem. When Sonos works it is excellent, sadly I spend more time trying to re-connect the speakers after they drop out.
Same problem with gen 1 Play 5. I have it connected via ethernet and it constantly drops out. I have 2 play 1s wirelessly linked as as a stereo pair in the same room as the 5, with everything running on WM:0, these also have the same problem. Changed all the channels and all the other stuff you are told to do. But still the same problem. When Sonos works it is excellent, sadly I spend more time trying to re-connect the speakers after they drop out.

Could you please submit a diagnostic so that I can take a look at what's going on with your system?
Same issue with my Play5 (gen 2) - Play 5 works fine when plugged in with a wire but not wirelessly (and still close to the router). Will call Sonos support when I am working from home on Friday.
Badge
Same problem for my Play:5. Worked flawlessly for a month, Then suddenly it stopped working. Calling Sonos support tomorrow ...
Does not look like this problem is solved so won't be purchasing the 4 Play 5's I was planning on.
That seems to be an odd attitude to take, in my opinion.

I've seen a lot of recalls of vehicles due to bad airbags from Takata, but that wouldn't stop me from buying a new car.

In every case that has been reported of this in these boards, Sonos has made good by replacing the speaker. My supposition is that they had a vendor give them a batch of bad cards, but based on the volume of respondents here, it's obviously a very small number.

But if you choose to make your purchasing decisions based on that, it's entirely up to you. I wish you well, and hope that you find something that matches your needs.
I just started having this problem as well. When I try resetting the Sonos wireless settings, keeps saying it can not connect. Was working 1 week ago, now - not working at all. Crazy that it just stopped working.

I guess I will have to WFH one day and just have them tell me what the issue is.
Same issue here. This is my first new Play 5; the 2 subs, 2 play bars and 2 gen 1 play 5's have worked great for years. This new play 5 I got today only connects if I hardwire it to the network which is not going to be viable...
Sounds like it's one of the ones that has a bad wifi card. You should contact Sonos for replacement (www.sonos.com/contact) or take it back to where you purchased it and get a replacement.
This just happened to me with the Play 5 I got a little less than 3 months ago. I tried most of the things suggested before I talked to a tech at Sonos. He had me connect the speaker to my router with an ethernet cable and was able to determine that the WiFi card was faulty. He arranged to ship a new Play 5, which is on its way, and sent me a shipping label to return the defective one. It's inconvenient, but I was pretty impressed with the responsiveness. The queue on the support line was long but I was able to leave a call back number, which was fine with me.
Same problem. One play 5 stopped working. Now only works wired to bridge. Is there a solution?
I'd submit a diagnostic while it is connected to with ethernet, then call in to Sonos. www.sonos.com/contact
I'll do that. Thank you.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Two solutions, call Sonos and get their assistance or open it up and try to fix it yourself realizing at that point Sonos isn't likely to want any part of the problem.

Call Sonos!
I have had exactly the same issue. Brought two Play 5's (2nd Gen) back in Dec last year. Had them as a stereo pair and were working fantastically. First one failed to pick up wireless network in September. Phoned Sonos and undertook diagnostic check. They instantly said wireless card had failed, but it was very rare! Replaced with 3 days and new one been working fine. Looking at the respondents here, maybe not so rare! Tonight the second Play 5 I have has just had exactly the same problem. Have raised the query with Sonos and looks like another replacement. That's just hope this does not become a regular occurrence! Brilliant product with great customer service just very poor reliability.:@
Same issue here, just adding to the evidence pile. Gen 5(2) unit worked great for two months but kept dropping out. Eventually gave up the ghost. Community threads convinced me I should blame my Wifi set up, spent WAY too long fiddling with that, resetting SONOS, reinstalling apps, reconnecting in many ways, multiple times. Even spent a load of money getting WiFi mesh, thought that would solve it, what a sucker. Sonos installation guidance said I needed to buy a Sonos bridge, that is bad advice. The give away symptom (I speculate) was that during WiFi set up the SONOS WiFi network wasn’t broadcasting, or it did once after one minute then disappeared after 5 seconds. If Sonos had weekend and evening support I might have got there earlier, as such I was forced to rely on email and twitter communication channels when trying to sort this at home (Sonos owners in employment be cursed). It took them several days and several nags to respond, finally they asked for diagnostic, sent that and then had several more days and nags sent before they responded again with confirmation that the unit needed to be returned. The returns process was seamless (lucky for you if you kept your packaging) but now I’ll get a refurb unit replacement instead of a new one which has taken the shine off the ownership experience for me. Lessons learned, listening to Sonos advice is great but stay sceptical, same for trying everything suggested in the forums, so much time wasted. Get to the diagnostic conversation with support as fast as you can, just hope you have an understanding boss who is happy for you to that in his time not yours.