PLAY 5 Not connecting over wireless

• 18 February 2017
  • 67 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

67 replies

Connect the errant PLAY:5 with an ethernet cable, and submit a system diagnostic. Then call in to Sonos to discuss it.
Thanks. Will do that
Badge
Same problem too. A VERY expensive mistake I think..
Rick. Correctly mentioned "Very expensive mistake". Reviews were great so I bought 7.1 from my side and it costed me US$ 3700 in Islamabad. Later I discovered system has many limitations like 7.1 system had to be split in 5.1 and two speakers would remain separate. Also the Room integration is not permanent, with every input change you are back in split. The software controller app has basic functionality and had to be reinstalled many times. Another glitch, so far I have bought at least 8 optical cables to fit in the Audio line connecting my Samsung 55F8000 TV optical out. Even the Sonos supplied optical cable was not fitting in the Sonos play bar. It was loose and so were many others that I locally purchased.
Diagnostic submitted with Wire. 1227809964
Diagnostics submitted. 1172869792
My Play 5 Gen 2 has dropped off my wireless system.

I’ve seen some of your trouble shooting replies in community forums. In my mind they’re ardous and go against the very basis of Sonos marketing, that is to make the users life easy.

I don’t want to spend a hour or two trying to get a speaker to reconnect when’s there’s still a high chance it won’t.

Please adive the most simple method I can use to get my Play 5 going again?

Note: my Playbar has never encountered the same problems

Rohan Farmer
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd do two diagnostic reports, one as you have it now and one with an Ethernet cable hooked to the Play 5. Send both numbers to Sonos either here, Twitter or by phone and they should have you fixed up with minimal hassle.
Play 5 WiFi crapped out. Followed all the threads. I hope you send me a new one please.
Badge
I am having the same problem with one of our Play 5 Gen 2s. I have gone through the same steps twice with a few days apart. The ethernet cable did work once but then the Play 5 was lost again. Today the Sonos controller could not find it either close to the router or with the cable. My diagnostic report number is 19353450. Luckily the Play 1 and Other Play 5 Gen 2 are working. Hoping for some assistance.

Can I add that all 3 were working well before the last update - strange.
Badge
Problem identified today - 8-01-2019. Exact Same as others. Calling customersupport as tried everything else as described/suggested above.

Will post whts transpired, SONOS Has crapped out - should have invested in the good old BOSE
Are faulty wifi cards still in the supply chain? My 5 month old Play 5 stopped connecting yesterday. Surely that's long after the fault was identified and resolved? Shouldn't affected units have been removed from shelves and fitted with non faulty wifi cards? Does that mean its still only a matter of time or luck until my replacement suffers the same fate? Seems to me this issue is more extensive than Sonos has admitted. Hope im wrong.
Hi Alf I have the same problem here,

Play 5 gen 2 been working fine for a month. Then last week it disappeared and will only reconnect when wired. It won't connect wirelessly anymore even when sitting right next to the Bridge.
I also have two Play 1s that work fine in rooms further away from the router.
I've tried everything I've read on this forum but think now I'll have to return the Play 5 if it's wireless function is broken.
There seem to be quite a few cases like this with the new Play 5s.

Steve
Exact same problem here! My Play 5 quit working on Friday and we have tried all the same things with the same results.
I'm hoping someone has a solution!

Lisa
Userlevel 1
Forgot to mention. I checked and as I'm with Virgin Media I can't assign static IP addresses either which obviously isn't a Sonos issue but worth noting that isn't possible for everyone sadly.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
While Sonos will work on WiFi it does work best on Sonosnet. Meaning having one of you Sonos products hard wired all the time to your router allowing Sonos to set up it own network and taking the load off your WiFi.

SonosNet

I again suggest you submit a diagnostic and post the number here. A Sonos rep will be a able to pull a report and tell you far more about your system than we can. You could also call them if you do not want to wait.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Diagnostic
I have the exact same problem. It started about 2 hours ago despite having worked perfectly for the last month. Steve F.
So many people reporting the same fault - 4 so far on this thread in the last 24 hrs. Lots of other similar threads too.

Really looking forward to hearing a response from Sonos on this.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I can tell you that from past experience your issues are most likely related to your networks and not a faulty speaker. Please give Sonos support a call as they are very helpful.
Userlevel 1
Seems a bit unlikely it's my network seeing as all my other devices work absolutely fine with it.. including my Playbar.

Would love to be proved wrong as currently I'm just sitting in silence. Even my cat looks a bit depressed.

Will ring Sonos tomorrow and report back what they say.
Hi breadmakingbee,

Any luck calling Sonos?

Cheers
Userlevel 1
Literally about the call them... I've had to work from home this morning and get work to let me do it because of the Sonos hours being 9-5 Mon-Fri!
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Hope you get it sorted, hate to think of your cat still looking depressed .... :8
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
Good to hear that breadmakingbee, I too have invested over £2400 into my system and would hate to think that the money was poorly spent if there are to be too many technical failings. Both my Play 5's have been good to date though, so hopefully I won't fall into the category of "plain unlucky".