24 bit on Play 1

Userlevel 1

Will I get 24 bit ausio on a play 1 if it is connected with the Arc? I would love a technical explanation of the sonos ecosystem to understand better. Does each speaker have a DAC? Can I override this with an external DAC if needed?

34 replies

Userlevel 1

Test incomplete. I have no way of confirming or denying the Qobuz 24 bit compatibility because there is no badge displaying that would indicate the resolution. I think I will be getting the Arc and while I won’t be able to enjoy streaming Apple music in 24 bit yet, what I will be enjoying is Dolby Atmos and Hi Res Lossless straight from Apple TV thanks to the HDMI eARC connection.

Userlevel 1

Very interesting...thanks...my test results will be coming soon...

Perhaps even better, see the comments here …

https://en.community.sonos.com/music-services-and-sources-228994/playbar-24-bit-playback-6863344?postid=16569069#post16569069

Userlevel 7

The Play1 and Playbar are clearly is listed in the following article: https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/info/Qobuz-Vous/Qobuz-Streaming-the-compatible179461 but it does not say Hi Res like some of the others in the list. Tell you what...I will do the Qobuz free trial and do some more testing... I will let you know my findings...

That article is from 2017, but I believe Hi Res was only supported by Qobuz on Sonos sometime in 2021.

See this article where it mentions the Playbar being supported for Qobuz 24-bit.

https://www.techhive.com/article/579291/sonos-drops-the-needle-on-high-resolution-music-streaming-via-qobuz.html

Userlevel 1

The Play1 and Playbar are clearly is listed in the following article: https://www.qobuz.com/us-en/info/Qobuz-Vous/Qobuz-Streaming-the-compatible179461 but it does not say Hi Res like some of the others in the list. Tell you what...I will do the Qobuz free trial and do some more testing... I will let you know my findings...

Ok this is exactly what I suspected and helps makes sense of these different behaviors! For clarity, I currently have a playbar, Play 1 surrounds and a Sub(gen 2) and from what I can gather from all of your guys feedback is that if I were to replace the Playbar(master) with an Arc I will then be able to enjoy 24 bit quality because the Arc will be sending the signal to the other speakers. I guess the issue is the DAC and/or memory or something else in the older Sonos speakers but not the speaker itself and that is great news! No need to replace the older slaves...just upgrade the master😁

Or switch and use Qobuz, as that service under their agreement with Sonos supports 24bit with the older Playbar (confusing, isn’t it🤔?).

Userlevel 1

Ok this is exactly what I suspected and helps makes sense of these different behaviors! For clarity, I currently have a playbar, Play 1 surrounds and a Sub(gen 2) and from what I can gather from all of your guys feedback is that if I were to replace the Playbar(master) with an Arc I will then be able to enjoy 24 bit quality because the Arc will be sending the signal to the other speakers. I guess the issue is the DAC and/or memory or something else in the older Sonos speakers but not the speaker itself and that is great news! No need to replace the older slaves...just upgrade the master😁

Yes, I agree with you both there. I would always refer to a stereo pair as being “paired” rather than “bonded”, but add a Sub into the equation of the stereo pair and that’s probably where I would use the terms interchangeably. Going forward, outside the HT, I will stick to “pairing”!

Edit: just another example.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/home-theater-or-stereo-pair-appears-as-not-configured

• When a Sub or Sub Mini has lost communication with its bonded speaker

It’s not specific that the above bullet point is only referring to a HT setup, so I think you can see my confusion over the terms.

I do actually see the sub as being ‘bonded’ to a stereo pair, but maybe that’s just me 😂

It’s just usually a case that the term ‘bonded’ is mentioned most often with HT setups - only time I use ‘pair’/‘pairing’ is when two speakers the same/similar are setup together for use as the left/right stereo channels. 

Userlevel 7

Apologies to OP for digressing this thread!

Anyway, quick Search for “Bonded” and the first thing that comes up under Support is:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/create-a-stereo-pair

Admittedly, despite that articles wording, I agree with @John B, many experienced users and Staff in the community here tend to use ‘bonded’ when discussing HT’s and describe the Surrounds and Sub as being ‘bonded’ with/to the master Arc/Beam etc… whereas same/similar Sonos speakers are (stereo) ‘paired’ to each other and Sonos rooms (same/different) are ‘grouped’ (often that’s a temporary configuration). I see that linked article wording as ‘just an exception to the usual rule’ 😀 ha ha.

Yes, I agree with you both there. I would always refer to a stereo pair as being “paired” rather than “bonded”, but add a Sub into the equation of the stereo pair and that’s probably where I would use the terms interchangeably. Going forward, outside the HT, I will stick to “pairing”!

Edit: just another example.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/home-theater-or-stereo-pair-appears-as-not-configured

• When a Sub or Sub Mini has lost communication with its bonded speaker

It’s not specific that the above bullet point is only referring to a HT setup, so I think you can see my confusion over the terms.

Anyway, quick Search for “Bonded” and the first thing that comes up under Support is:

Admittedly, despite that articles wording, I agree with @John B, many experienced users and Staff in the community here tend to use ‘bonded’ when discussing HT’s and describe the Surrounds and Sub as being ‘bonded’ with/to the master Arc/Beam etc… whereas same/similar Sonos speakers are (stereo) ‘paired’ to each other and Sonos rooms (same/different) are ‘grouped’ (often that’s a temporary configuration). I see that linked article wording as ‘just an exception to the usual rule’ 😀 ha ha.

I don’t have a precise explanation for this, but I would point out that the nature of the connection is different.  Sonos talk of the Sub being “bonded” in a HT setup, where direct routing over 5GHz is used for the connection.  When the Sub is connected to music speakers it is said that the Sub is “paired”, and it doesn’t use 5GHz direct routing.  I am not sure whether direct routing over 2.4GHz is used, or WiFi, or SonosNet (if applicable).

Tbh, although I am aware of the different connections between HT and a stereo pair, I’d always previously considered the terms “bonded” and “paired” as interchangeable.

I don’t think I have ever seen Sonos use the term ‘bonded’ other than for HT.  But I couldn’t swear to that.

OK I admit defeat!  Although I think that the author of this particular document has unhelpfully used the term “bonded” in a loose general sense!  The article talks only of “pairing” after the introductory sentence.  But I agree that the labels don’t matter as much as the actual difference in the nature of the connection.

Userlevel 7

I don’t have a precise explanation for this, but I would point out that the nature of the connection is different.  Sonos talk of the Sub being “bonded” in a HT setup, where direct routing over 5GHz is used for the connection.  When the Sub is connected to music speakers it is said that the Sub is “paired”, and it doesn’t use 5GHz direct routing.  I am not sure whether direct routing over 2.4GHz is used, or WiFi, or SonosNet (if applicable).

Tbh, although I am aware of the different connections between HT and a stereo pair, I’d always previously considered the terms “bonded” and “paired” as interchangeable.

I don’t think I have ever seen Sonos use the term ‘bonded’ other than for HT.  But I couldn’t swear to that.

Ah, forgive me @Mr. T, I had forgotten about that matter with the Sub (gen2) and wasn’t sure if it was with older, or newer surrounds, but you have just jogged my memory.

I know that master devices decode and play the audio to their surrounds/slaves, whereas grouped speakers all get the same stereo file from the GC, but just play their own audio channel only, even though both channels are sent to all.. In fact I’ve coincidentally discussed that topic recently with ratty. I just wasn’t entirely sure if the bonded older surrounds might drag down the master to request the 16bit track only - although I had it in my mind that 24bit audio would play in this situation. 

So I will go another few months now and try not to forget this fact again.. (thankyou too @John B🙏, for bringing certainty to this discussion). I was hovering on the fence about what ‘might’ happen with this sort of setup.

Userlevel 7

Furthermore, you may recall when Amazon Music first released Hi-res, I raised the issue with the Sub (gen2). When bonded with the Arc, I could play Dolby Atmos/Ultra HD, but with a stereo pair of Ones (not surrounds) the Sub (gen2) restricted the Ones to HD. Remove the Sub and the Ones would play Ultra HD.

Furthermore, you may recall when Amazon Music first released Hi-res, I raised the issue with the Sub (gen2). When bonded with the Arc, I could play Dolby Atmos/Ultra HD, but with a stereo pair of Ones (not surrounds) the Sub (gen2) restricted the Ones to HD. Remove the Sub and the Ones would play Ultra HD.

Userlevel 7

An Arc (master device) is definitely 24/48 capable (as we all know) and I accept in a ‘grouped-room’ situation, it will only play at the lowest common denominator, supported by whatever it is ‘grouped’ with - but I’m still curious to see what happens when Play:1’s are ‘bonded’ to the Arc, as it’s slave …and to see if that may perhaps alter things🤔?

The indications are, it will still fallback to HD, but it’s not something I’ve ever personally seen, or tested.

I would ‘happily’ have tested this one myself as I do have an Arc, but somewhat sadly, I have given away ‘all but one’ of my Play:1 speakers to friends & family.

The last ‘survivor’ is hanging about here now on S1, mostly just for posterity, so I cannot check things to be certain one way, or the other, as there are some ‘anomalies’, just like the old Playbar will play 24bit Qobux audio, but only 16-bit Amazon audio.

I thought @John B had answered that above. (Edit: by above, I meant his comment yesterday, not the one directly above)

I can give my experience previously using Play:3s as surrounds with Arc and Sub (gen2). I could play Amazon Music Ultra HD. The Play:3s on their own however (single unit or stereo pair) are only capable of HD.

Furthermore, you may recall when Amazon Music first released Hi-res, I raised the issue with the Sub (gen2). When bonded with the Arc, I could play Dolby Atmos/Ultra HD, but with a stereo pair of Ones (not surrounds) the Sub (gen2) restricted the Ones to HD. Remove the Sub and the Ones would play Ultra HD. You @Ken_Griffiths, kindly bonded your Sub (gen3) to some Ones and confirmed that you got Ultra HD, so I knew the issue was due to the Sub (gen2).

An Arc (master device) is definitely 24/48 capable (as we all know) and I accept in a ‘grouped-room’ situation, it will only play at the lowest common denominator, supported by whatever it is ‘grouped’ with - but I’m still curious to see what happens when Play:1’s are ‘bonded’ to the Arc, as it’s slave …and to see if that may perhaps alter things🤔?

I have this set up.  The app says Ultra HD.

The indications are, it will still fallback to HD, but it’s not something I’ve ever personally seen, or tested.

I would ‘happily’ have tested this one myself as I do have an Arc, but somewhat sadly, I have given away ‘all but one’ of my Play:1 speakers to friends & family.

The last ‘survivor’ is hanging about here now on S1, mostly just for posterity, so I cannot check things to be certain one way, or the other, as there are some ‘anomalies’, just like the old Playbar will play 24bit Qobux audio, but only 16-bit Amazon audio.

Userlevel 7

I am running S2. The confusing thing is that when I look at what devices are listed as being 24 bit compatible, the Play 1 is not on that list. Does this change when paired with a Playbar because Playbar is on the list of compatible devices?

Using Amazon Music Unlimited the Playbar (and surrounds) is limited to HD (16-bit) playback, not Ultra HD (24-bit)

However, I’ve read elsewhere the Playbar is capable of playing 24-bit from Qobuz, but I’ve never used Qobuz.

Is it a Playbar 🤔? - I think the opening post mentions a Sonos Arc?

The original post mentions Arc, but then he mentions Playbar in the text I’ve quoted. I assumed he had both?!

I am running S2. The confusing thing is that when I look at what devices are listed as being 24 bit compatible, the Play 1 is not on that list. Does this change when paired with a Playbar because Playbar is on the list of compatible devices?

Using Amazon Music Unlimited the Playbar (and surrounds) is limited to HD (16-bit) playback, not Ultra HD (24-bit)

However, I’ve read elsewhere the Playbar is capable of playing 24-bit from Qobuz, but I’ve never used Qobuz.

Is it a Playbar 🤔? - I think the opening post mentions a Sonos Arc?

Userlevel 7

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

If the Play:1s were capable of doing all the necessary processing reliably then why would Sonos not implement it? Other speakers, such as the gen 2 Play:5, received a free upgrade. I suspect the answer lies in the small amounts of memory in the Play:1 compared with the current range of products. 

Its a good theory. Play:1s are some of the lowest performance devices able to run S2. Ones have 8x as much memory for example as a Play:1.

Please see my first post on this thread.

Do you have these devices available to you at the moment? Can you perhaps just try them with Amazon Music and see which ‘now playing’ badge shows?

If not and there’s still some concern whether the Play:1 will work with the Arc and 24bit UltraHD audio, then maybe contact/chat to Sonos Staff via this LINK and see what they say.