24 bit on Play 1

Show first post

34 replies

Are you running S1 or S2? S2 compatible units will play 24bit files.

Userlevel 1

I am running S2. The confusing thing is that when I look at what devices are listed as being 24 bit compatible, the Play 1 is not on that list. Does this change when paired with a Playbar because Playbar is on the list of compatible devices?

I am running S2. The confusing thing is that when I look at what devices are listed as being 24 bit compatible, the Play 1 is not on that list. Does this change when paired with a Playbar because Playbar is on the list of compatible devices?

Do you have these devices available to you at the moment? Can you perhaps just try them with Amazon Music and see which ‘now playing’ badge shows?

If not and there’s still some concern whether the Play:1 will work with the Arc and 24bit UltraHD audio, then maybe contact/chat to Sonos Staff via this LINK and see what they say.

Please see my first post on this thread.

Userlevel 7

Using Amazon Music Unlimited the Playbar (and surrounds) is limited to HD (16-bit) playback, not Ultra HD (24-bit)

However, I’ve read elsewhere the Playbar is capable of playing 24-bit from Qobuz, but I’ve never used Qobuz.

Using Amazon Music Unlimited the Playbar (and surrounds) is limited to HD (16-bit) playback, not Ultra HD (24-bit)

However, I’ve read elsewhere the Playbar is capable of playing 24-bit from Qobuz, but I’ve never used Qobuz.

Is it a Playbar 🤔? - I think the opening post mentions a Sonos Arc?

An Arc (master device) is definitely 24/48 capable (as we all know) and I accept in a ‘grouped-room’ situation, it will only play at the lowest common denominator, supported by whatever it is ‘grouped’ with - but I’m still curious to see what happens when Play:1’s are ‘bonded’ to the Arc, as it’s slave …and to see if that may perhaps alter things🤔?

The indications are, it will still fallback to HD, but it’s not something I’ve ever personally seen, or tested.

I would ‘happily’ have tested this one myself as I do have an Arc, but somewhat sadly, I have given away ‘all but one’ of my Play:1 speakers to friends & family.

The last ‘survivor’ is hanging about here now on S1, mostly just for posterity, so I cannot check things to be certain one way, or the other, as there are some ‘anomalies’, just like the old Playbar will play 24bit Qobux audio, but only 16-bit Amazon audio.

Userlevel 7

An Arc (master device) is definitely 24/48 capable (as we all know) and I accept in a ‘grouped-room’ situation, it will only play at the lowest common denominator, supported by whatever it is ‘grouped’ with - but I’m still curious to see what happens when Play:1’s are ‘bonded’ to the Arc, as it’s slave …and to see if that may perhaps alter things🤔?

The indications are, it will still fallback to HD, but it’s not something I’ve ever personally seen, or tested.

I would ‘happily’ have tested this one myself as I do have an Arc, but somewhat sadly, I have given away ‘all but one’ of my Play:1 speakers to friends & family.

The last ‘survivor’ is hanging about here now on S1, mostly just for posterity, so I cannot check things to be certain one way, or the other, as there are some ‘anomalies’, just like the old Playbar will play 24bit Qobux audio, but only 16-bit Amazon audio.

I thought @John B had answered that above. (Edit: by above, I meant his comment yesterday, not the one directly above)

I can give my experience previously using Play:3s as surrounds with Arc and Sub (gen2). I could play Amazon Music Ultra HD. The Play:3s on their own however (single unit or stereo pair) are only capable of HD.

Furthermore, you may recall when Amazon Music first released Hi-res, I raised the issue with the Sub (gen2). When bonded with the Arc, I could play Dolby Atmos/Ultra HD, but with a stereo pair of Ones (not surrounds) the Sub (gen2) restricted the Ones to HD. Remove the Sub and the Ones would play Ultra HD. You @Ken_Griffiths, kindly bonded your Sub (gen3) to some Ones and confirmed that you got Ultra HD, so I knew the issue was due to the Sub (gen2).

Userlevel 7

Apologies to OP for digressing this thread!

Anyway, quick Search for “Bonded” and the first thing that comes up under Support is:

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/create-a-stereo-pair

Admittedly, despite that articles wording, I agree with @John B, many experienced users and Staff in the community here tend to use ‘bonded’ when discussing HT’s and describe the Surrounds and Sub as being ‘bonded’ with/to the master Arc/Beam etc… whereas same/similar Sonos speakers are (stereo) ‘paired’ to each other and Sonos rooms (same/different) are ‘grouped’ (often that’s a temporary configuration). I see that linked article wording as ‘just an exception to the usual rule’ 😀 ha ha.

Yes, I agree with you both there. I would always refer to a stereo pair as being “paired” rather than “bonded”, but add a Sub into the equation of the stereo pair and that’s probably where I would use the terms interchangeably. Going forward, outside the HT, I will stick to “pairing”!

Edit: just another example.

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/home-theater-or-stereo-pair-appears-as-not-configured

• When a Sub or Sub Mini has lost communication with its bonded speaker

It’s not specific that the above bullet point is only referring to a HT setup, so I think you can see my confusion over the terms.