Why don't Sonos offer a repair service?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

94 replies

And usually for that kind of thing, your discussion with Support would happen by phone. You can find the numbers, and hours, here: www.sonos.com/contact
They do not repair units, but I've never seen Sonos not offer to replace a damaged out of warranty unit with a refurbished unit at a reduced price. Now maybe they have, but I've personally never seen a complaint on here from which a customer was left hanging with the damaged unit. Perhaps you should ask about replacements rather than repairs.
Badge
Interesting. To paraphrase the rep that I talked to, who was very nice and helpful, since I broke it, I was out of luck.
I'm sure there are stipulations, and dropping may be one. I've just never seen a response like that. Then again, I've not seen anyone inquire about a dropped unit.
I would suspect that they also don't offer any assistance once you've opened the device, for those of you who may read this thread in the future. I'd recommend calling in and chatting with them before taking a step that drastic (in their eyes).
Sonos are no longer a young start up, that has not had time to think about repair. Sonos, like all electronic products, occasionally one goes wrong. Your products are expensive to buy, and you could set up a repair workshop and repair them (or even contract it out). I'm sure this could be a revenue centre not a cost centre.

I am a long time user with a reasonable investment in Sonos (seven units) - or six working units and a faulty one!

I used be proud of my Sonos system, and promote the Sonos products amongst my friends, but this looks like you don't care about your users. If users don't feel valued, they stop caring about the company.

How many other users have faulty units at home?Sonos are no longer a young start up, that has not had time to think about repair. Sonos, like all electronic products, occasionally one goes wrong. Your products are expensive to buy, and you could set up a repair workshop and repair them (or even contract it out). I'm sure this could be a revenue centre not a cost centre.

I am a long time user with a reasonable investment in Sonos (seven units) - or six working units and a faulty one!

I used be proud of my Sonos system, and promote the Sonos products amongst my friends, but this looks like you don't care about your users. If users don't feel valued, they stop caring about the company.

How many other users have faulty units at home?
My Play1 officially has become an embarrassment to use. Out of nowhere the sound just became distorted for no good reason. I also have searched effortlessly for a solution/troubleshooting options all to no avail. Extremely disappointing.
Just had sub which went dead. They dont repair at least not fir the customer. They replace it for you at 80% the cost of a new one. The old one they then repair it and sell it refurbished for 80% the price. Wow what a way to make money on hapless customers who got their faulty products
Then you should call in and talk to one of their Customer Support folks, with all due speed. Local area phone numbers and hours can be found at www.sonos.com/contact
My Play1 officially has become an embarrassment to use. Out of nowhere the sound just became distorted for no good reason. I also have searched effortlessly for a solution/troubleshooting options all to no avail. Extremely disappointing.

I suggest you contact Sonos support.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Sonos are replacing a unit that I bought in 2009 - it was a very easy process through Support. DHL postage all paid for by Sonos and DHL came to the house to pick it up. I guess they operate on a case by case basis, no idea, but in my case they win a gold star. 🙂
Badge
As I have posted before (years ago?) I contacted SONOS as after more than 5 years service my 2006 forerunner to the Connect:Amp had died and I was wanting it repaired. I was informed that I could get e replacement at reduced cost which I gratefully accepted and received in an unopened box a brand new then current equivalent model. What other company does that? Since then I have also had a wall-wart for a Bridge replaced at no cost. I have also had terrific (free) remote assistance from SONOS with a choice of English or Dutch support (I live in the Netherlands) with one call over 30 minutes in duration. What other company does that?
I rest my case.
The first concern I'd have with a repaired unit would be: 'Is it going to break again? It's old after all.'
Not to mention the amount of time and cost (hourly rate) for doing these repairs. A brand-new unit at a reduced price clearly is the preferred solution.
"what other company does that ?"

How would you feel if you dented your car and the garage told you they could not offer you a repair or parts to repair, but would gladly offer a replacement for you to purchase? I suppose it depends if the purchase was cheaper than the repair - unlikely though!

The policy on replacement is also inconsistent and undocumented. Support do NOT always offer a route for replacement. It's a landfill policy and manufacturers should be penalised with hefty taxes for promoting landfill.
Good grief, they aren't "promoting landfill". Where do you think they get the refurb units they sell to you at a huge discount as a replacement? They are the returned units that are sent away to be refurbished. So they do repair your unit, they just don't make you wait the weeks or months it takes for it to be refurbished fo you to get a new one. Instead, you get one right away! Oh the horror! :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +26

Regarding the stereo pair, a new Play:5 and an old one can’t be bonded into a single room. They sound very different, the new one far better. However, we’ve had this sort of thing come up before. If you follow up with that support ticket and let them know, they can help out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Buy new sonos stuff from richer sounds now with a 6 year warranty

Same from Sevenoaks Sound & Vision, if you're in the UK. Both stores are good to deal with.
Good grief, they aren't "promoting landfill". Where do you think they get the refurb units they sell to you at a huge discount as a replacement? They are the returned units that are sent away to be refurbished. So they do repair your unit, they just don't make you wait the weeks or months it takes for it to be refurbished fo you to get a new one. Instead, you get one right away! Oh the horror! :8

Sounds great, just send me the link or pointer to the policy. Oh, that's right, there isn't one. This option seems to be provided on a case by case basis, so your statement doesn't stand for all cases!

All I have been offered when I contacted customer support is... Nothing. Nada. Nil. Zilch. So, all that I can assume is that they do NOT always offer this service. They did say that they "understood" my position when I said that I was disappointed that nothing could be done with my Playbar that had suffered some cosmetic damage.
Support have clarified. Sonos will NOT offer any replacement service for any unit that does not have an out of warranty manufacturing defect. I stand by my 'Sonos is promoting landfill" statement. I have no replacement option from the company I purchased the product from.

If someone can give a link/pointer to a replacement mesh material, then I may take a stab at self repair.