Why don't Sonos offer a repair service?

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

94 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Play units are complicated pieces of kit made in china.
They will last nowhere near as long as a conventional speaker. At least they have a 2year warranty.
Sonos's first move could be to offer an additional 5yr warranty, the same as tv manufacturers.
Most warranties are outsourced to insurance companies like domestic & general.
This was not even mentioned in latest survey, so doubt they are even thinking about it........
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm not sure I see the problem here. When out of warranty, Sonos most often offers a refurbished unit at a significantly reduced price in lieu of repairing. It then takes the returned unit and sends it out for refurbishing. Not exactly sure how keeping the customer's unit for repair, during which time the customer is without use of the unit, would be more beneficial than immediately issuing a replacement. I personally would be far more satisfied to receive a like-new unit at a reduced price than paying a significant repair bill and being without the unit for the time it takes to repair.
Userlevel 1
Badge
No they don’t. You are out of luck. You can use the bad unit as a paper weight.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
My sonos 5 broke when it was 2 days out of warranty. The best they can apparently offer is a £129 repair. Very frustrating and I feel I’ve been treated very unfairly, especially as it actually broke earlier, just that I didn’t know the exact dates so didn’t phone customer services on time.
My advice: don’t buy any sonos products. They’re expensive, not built to last, and poor customer service.

Again, see my post about the Sales of Goods / Consumer Rights Act - do not be fobbed off by them, they are legally obliged to comply with the law whether they want to or not. If they refuse to comply, report them to Trading Standards etc.

After 6 months from purchase *you* have to be the one who proves the unit had broken through no fault of your own, but provided you can do that, they have to provide a repair or replacement for free.

It's also worth taking screenshots and making notes of links to any posts where others are saying the same thing about both their product and their resulting customer service as evidence - should you need to take them to court.

Assuming Hgc123 is in the UK (which is fair enough as the price quoted is in pounds) then Sonos are obliged to offer a 2 year warranty. They have offered a replacement unit for £129 which is a significant discount on a new unit.

I sympathise with Hgc123's frustration but Sonos' offer is above and beyond and no court in England is going to accept it isn't a fair and reasonable offer.

SONOS' warranty is further backed up by the SOGA/CRA - which stipulates that legally, provided the user can prove the unit did not die because of something they did (being dropped, damaged etc.) then they have to provide a free repair or replacement for up to 6 years from the point of purchase.

Companies do get taken to court for these issues, and they do indeed lose these cases. It is not a case of whether it is a 'fair' offer: they have legal obligations to keep... the question boils down to whether or not the customer is prepared to go through with taking them to court without the *guarantee* of winning.
Userlevel 2
Badge +4
I did just realise I meant repair or refund* and not replacement! It's been a while since I've looked at Consumer Law legislation!
my Sonos Play 5 is broken within 3 years. There is no possibility for repair. I could exchange the old one for a new Play 5 gen 2, it cost me €409,00 and a new Play 5 cost €499,00. I was always promoting Sonos, but now I have a bad experience with the Sonos service. This a negative radiation from Sonos, I consider to stop with Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'd be interested in seeing the relevant section of the Sale of Goods act that makes it a requirement for suppliers to offer a repair facility and that if the purchaser can prove they didn't cause the damage it must be offered free of charge.

I've looked at the act and note that the word repair is only in it twice https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1979/54

Thanks in advance
Thanks AndH81, I will check it!
So the latest response from Sonos shows nothing has changed and they are not listening to people. I have 4yo play 5 and the sub speakers rattles becuse the magnet is loose. So same story as everyone else.... no repiar service, no spares etc and we can send you a new one for £345 with 2 year warranty.

Well considering they have a pile of broken units in stock somewhere i am not even allowed to purchase another used one from them to replace the speaker myself.

Your £500 Sonos is disposable.

Your wallet will take a bashing much like the enviroment.

Imagine if all appliances were like this.....
Userlevel 1
My Connect Amp has also "just stopped working" and now that I think of it, it was after a firmware upgrade. like its bricked or something. I purchased it in summer 2015 used it to power outdoor patio speakers. unit is inside a cool clean and dry basement away from any heat/sun. used only during warm months so unit is plugged in for maybe 3 months a year after that I unplug it because theirs no reason to have this thing powered up. Now it wont boot up and only flashed the white light. $500 unit is a paperweight. SONOS reply buy a new one for a reduced rate of $350.......YEAH that's what I want to do after spending $500 for a unit used for a total of like 5 months of random use. I will NEVER buy SONOS or recommend them again for their lack of customer service AND all you defenders of sonos......your day like ours IS in your future and lets hear the tune you play then LOL.
Userlevel 1
The 'customer service" rep on the phone who tried to help me had the biggest I don't care attitude ever. he walked me through everything that i basically read online from the tons of other SONOS owners in the same boat and when we exhausted all the attempts he offers the reduced rate. Like I and others need to spend $1000 over the course of 3 years on one Amp. i have old relic electronics that STILL work to this day!!!
Userlevel 1
UPDATE well after some perseverance it paid off. I called back and spoke to a new CS rep and he put me through to a supervisor who asked me a couple of questions and they can tell that the connect amp had not been updated with my other devices and agreed to send me a new one!! Amazing I had to jump through hoops for it. I understand you have to have policies in place to protect youraelf, but for such expensive items they should extend their warranty especially if they believe in the quality of it. So it ended well for me but I wasn't getting off the phone excepting anything else.. I was calm and polite I didnt hand them their tail and im sure that helped. Lol next one I buy (IF there's a next one) will be from someone I can purchase a extended warranty from.
A fuss about nothing. My CONNECT too failed shortly after the warranty expired. These things happen, it's electronic stuff.
Badge +1
I contacted Sonos support regarding a Connect ZP80 unit that won’t update. Their attitude was terrible. All they want to do it sell me a replacement unit for £249 exchange. A brand new one is only £309. This must be a real simple repair but they won’t tell me if it is. Sorry Sonos, but I won’t be paying that or buying anymore products from you. I have 3x Play 1’s, a Play 3, a Play 5 and a Connect Amp. Years of brand loyalty for nothing.
Same bad experience here.
I have a faulty Connect and I have to pay A$ 389 + 10% tax for the replacement unit which is 75% of the new unit.
It seems that Sonos products can't be repaired.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
My other stereo equipments can be repaired at much lower cost.

Really? Can you provide sample numbers?

A tech generally will cost %100-$150 to open any box of electronics in 2019. Then they have to poke around inside, figure out what is up (hard to do for "unusual" items such as these), order the parts (some of which are hard to find) then fix it. In the US the labor rate means this basically isn't practical for cheap electronics such as most Sonos gear. If you could ship it to a low labor country (eg China) then repairs may be more cost effective, but then you need to add shipping costs.

If a longer warranty is desired for electronics, then buy one when you buy the device. Lots of companies offer extended warranties and so do many credit card companies.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
Lets try another example: I tipped coffee into my Lenovo laptop (not my smartest morning). I went to the recommended Lenovo repair location, they wanted $75 to look at it. The parts were $250 and labor was $120. Was this worth it? For a $2500 laptop, hell yeah. These economics are not practical for "cheap" Sonos gear, even assuming there were recommended repair locations (which there are not) and available service manuals (which I don't believe exist). Never mind the rare parts in the older stuff.
My other stereo equipments can be repaired at much lower cost.

Really? Can you provide sample numbers?

A tech generally will cost %100-$150 to open any box of electronics in 2019. Then they have to poke around inside, figure out what is up (hard to do for "unusual" items such as these), order the parts (some of which are hard to find) then fix it. In the US the labor rate means this basically isn't practical for cheap electronics such as most Sonos gear. If you could ship it to a low labor country (eg China) then repairs may be more cost effective, but then you need to add shipping costs.

If a longer warranty is desired for electronics, then buy one when you buy the device. Lots of companies offer extended warranties and so do many credit card companies.

Here in Indonesia,where I live, if you bring out of warranty AV receivers from any major brands; Marantz, Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha to their service centres, they will charge around $30 for inspection. McIntosh service centre will charge around US$ 50 for inspection.
Just replaced the HDMI board on my Onkyo receiver and I paid US$200 including parts and service.
Badge
Sonos offered me a whole $56 discount on the price of a brand new Connect for out of warranty replacement and the only issue with the unit was the wifi wasn't working. Honestly, I considered that an insult. They refuse to make parts available to the repair trade and then reem you royally as well. Don't get me started on their app support.
Userlevel 5
Badge +5
Maybe they could offer discounts depending on a users investment. I have spent thousands on Sonos, and if all I get is 4 years before I have to replace it, out of my own pocket, maybe it is time to look elsewhere. But, hard to do after you spend a fortune, they got you by the short a curlies. BTW, back in the old days, when I bought a nice amp, Sansui, Harmon, Radio Shack, they lasted FOREVER. I still have some of that stuff, but it is obsolete. Great for the cottage.
Cheers
Userlevel 7
Badge +16
It's very odd there is no "parts" support.

It's like writing a motorcycle off because Yamaha/ Suzuki et all won't supply a camshaft.

Just looking at my Playbar/ Sub/ Play-1's. All out of warranty, trying not to add up cost of replacements!!.
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
The pre-owned market for Sonos products it quite healthy. I think in part that’s because any faulty units are most likely to have been fixed by Sonos because of the policy.

If potentially dodgy repairs could be carried out with owners potentially fitting the wrong parts, just to “fix” a fault and then sell the speaker to the unsuspecting public is not a good thing.

If Sonos establish repair centres, what countries and what cities should they be located in? Who pays delivery cost to get items to/from the repair centre? Should they offer fixed-price repairs? What if the speaker is unfixable? Who pays labour cost to examine and diagnose the repair cost? What if the owner doesn’t want to pay for the repair once quoted?

I’m not saying the existing system is ideal, but the alternatives introduce a whole new set of issues that will also draw comments - and complaints.
Badge
Hello, I am a Sonos Owner of 17 units between my restaurant and home. Just called support due to a dropped Play:1. I was hoping to be able to send in the unit for a paid repair. It still works, just sounds like a blown speaker. Was told there were no options available through Sonos and they knew of no 3rd party services that would repair the unit. Seems a shame to throw away, due to a blown speaker, this $200, 4 pound work of art that still plays music. I can play with the unit, like here: https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Sonos+Play+1+Mid-Woofer+speaker+Replacement/50887 - but I don't have a replacement speaker available. It just seems a little short-sighted to not anticipate customers wanting longevity in their products and avoid the landfill. I might just hold onto this one for a few years until they get a repair process in place for out of warranty issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Buy new sonos stuff from richer sounds now with a 6year warranty 🆒
Shame sonos cannot match this when buying direct from their website!!...
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Anybody talked to folks like squaretrade.com about a Sonos policy? They have a couple 3 year plans for misc electronics if no other option is available.