Truly wireless - Battery Powered PLAY unit

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

Ideally, incorporating lithium battery/recharger in the Play with Bluetooth! The charging unit should have the ability to work off the car plug or if available USB port.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I don't think that SONOS will do this. Unless they charge a huge amount for the rechargeable portable, they are asking people to opt out of a SONOS for every room and instead buy the one SONOS that they can easily move about. I think the cord annoyance is why I spent the money on one for every room when I would have opted out of the bathroom and garage if it were easy to grab one from the kitchen or something.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I don't think that SONOS will do this. Unless they charge a huge amount for the rechargeable portable, they are asking people to opt out of a SONOS for every room and instead buy the one SONOS that they can easily move about. I think the cord annoyance is why I spent the money on one for every room when I would have opted out of the bathroom and garage if it were easy to grab one from the kitchen or something.
I think you are missing the point.  The same music everywhere, including the garden, bathroom and outdoor rooms is the aim so I don't need to carry a speaker with me, otherwise it's just a radio or MP3 player you are describing.

Bose and Samsung have just announced a Sonos like system and they will have battery versions. If Sonos doesn't keep up, they may loose out.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
No, I'm not missing the point. I'm saying that after buying the basics...living room, den, kitchen/dining, bathroom, bedroom...I'd probably not continue and buy one for the guest room, garage/workshop, sewing room, etc because I could get just one extra "floater" to carry between those less often used places. I can think of 3 units at least that I could consolidate into a portable in my home right now. I'm not implying people would buy just one unit total, but instead they would buy considerably fewer than they are forced to now.
Userlevel 1
Badge
OK, fair point.  I'd use a Play:1 as a "floater" as it's easy to unplug and plug back in.  It doesn't drop the connection if you do it within a short space of time which surprised me when I first moved my Play:1.

I'd probably buy 3 battery units, a bathroom unit and two "outdoor" ones to suit the way I want to use them. 
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I just checked out the Bose with its new SoundTouch Wi-Fi series of speakers and Samsung with the Shape M7; not impressed.  Especially since the rechargeable is plug in instead of wireless plate or dock.  I'd love a Play 1 rechargeable (though my recent bathroom remodel already included power/ethernet in the bookcase just for it).  My only beef right now is the roundabout way to get podcasts playing via the computer where I don't use iTunes...I'd love to be able to pipe my Droid to Sonos the way I can pipe it to my beats headphones.  The next gen should add a way to play such audio via bluetooth profile or whatever it takes.  This is off topic.  Please forgive.
Just wanted to agree with above opinions. I too was excited when I saw the adverts (not showing the cable) but was disappointed to find it isn't portable. This would be perfect. I have sonos in every room except the bathroom. A truly portable play:1 would be ideal for bathroom and garden use.

Please build one Sonos.
I totaly agree with the above mentioned ideas. I would just add the idea of a REMOVABLE battery.
It would enable to
- always have a full loaded battery ready
- be able to replace a to old battery not charging anymore
Thanks,
While this request is similar to several of the battery powered Play 1 options, I'm more interested in a weather resistant version of the Play 3 or Play 5 for mounting outside on my patios. They would be under the roof overhang but still exposed to humidity and heat and cold so they would likely need to be more than an indoor unit. Currently I use older Cambridge Soundworks outdoor speakers wired to a Connect Amp but have other locations where I want to add speakers. Running a power plug is way easier than speaker wire back to an indoor location for another Connect Amp. Produce a weather resistant version and my bet is they'll be a top seller!
And this kind of units (and any sonos component...) could be used stand alone without domestic network, to have music directly streamed to it through a Sonosnet wifi connection (without router...), so you just have to take your speaker and your smartphone to listen to music anywhere
Would there be a bluetooth link as well? Like the Bose soundlink mini, but then in the Sonos experience being able to link it into my Sonos network as well?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Wifi has better bandwidth I believe, so why would you want Bluetooth?  As a phone or whatever has Wifi as well as Bluetooth, why degrade the Sonos system to follow the pack?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Wifi has better bandwidth I believe, so why would you want Bluetooth?  As a phone or whatever has Wifi as well as Bluetooth, why degrade the Sonos system to follow the pack?
Hi Paul, would like to be able to take a small rechargeable Sonos device out of my home wifi network and take it as a standalone bluetooth connected with my phone when I go to the park or travelling.

Presume I am not able to do that without bluetooth.