Truly wireless - Battery Powered PLAY unit

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

139 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Batteries or mains or both. Hi, I'm considering joining the Sonos community but have some questions - it all looks great on the ads and on the website but there aren't any power cables to the speakers. Can they run on batteries or mains and if only the latter then its not exactly wireless is it? If batteries are they rechargeable and what's the play period between charges or battery changes?
Still no action fron Sonos on this deficiency in the product range. A rechargeable battery play speaker is needed. As farbas I'm concerned it doesn't need any other functions than to be like the play3 or 5 but WITHOUT the mains connection (except when recharging)
I can not believe that SONOS product development department is so slow. I just gave up on SONOS and bought an B&O BeoPlay A2 instead. Thank you for nothing guys!
I can not believe that SONOS product development department is so slow. I just gave up on SONOS and bought an B&
I gave up too. Bad for SONOS. There are other good products from Bose or Ultimate Ears Boom, 360° (including NFC).
I also would def consider buying one!  Just bought the Play 5 and am thinking of taking it back for a battery-powered unit that Bose has.  Decisions, decisions!!
And now there are at least TWO other vendors with cheaper Sonos-type equipment with a battery powered option.

- Bose SoundTouch Portable
- Pure Jongo S3
- and now LG
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/05/at-international-ces-new-options-for-networked-speakers

I just can't understand Sonos' refusal to produce this obvious extention to thier line of products?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Smaller than Play : 1 please. A Play 1 would not fit on my bathroom shelf. Thank you
Userlevel 2
I thought "totally wireless" included "cordless". I intended to use these with AirPlay in various locations as needed. Neither is possible. Sure, they sound good, but if they're tethered to a power outlet, I'm not sure what the excitement is all about. Deciding about returning and repurchasing when they become rechargeable. 
This point, the lack of a cordless, rechargeable speaker in the Sonos lineup, one that you can truly take anywhere within your mesh without having to find a power outlet, for instance the garden or bathroom, remains the biggest weakness that Sonos' competitors continue to be able to exploit.

I'm heavily invested in Sonos but I may still sell the lot in favour of replacing it with the Bose system
Userlevel 3
Badge
I'd just like to add a Me2 to this thread.  I was winning hands down the argument on who had the better wireless audio system with a colleague (who has the Pure set up) until he played the battery powered speakers card.  This is a great nice to have.

I would love to get a rechargeable Sonos speaker for each of the kids rooms (who frequently hi-jack speakers in other rooms) that would be easily relocated to be satellites for the Playbar - where presently I have to go under a desk to unplug other units to get surround sound in the living room.  Being able to take to a speaker to the back garden in the summer would be a definite bonus too.
I would certainly buy at least a couple of rechargeable battery powered Sonos speakers with docking stations for re-charging. Be a great addition to my Sonos set up.
Yes please ASAP...
Clarification on why this is popular when other ideas clearly more popular are already tossed out as not planned?
I'd like to battery powered speakers across the range.
Really keen to undertsand how far away this option maybe before I buy PLAY:1 speakers to complete my system
Please send an update.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
We have no update from Sonos as to if/when battery for Play:1
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/play-1-battery-pack
Guess Sonos is just going to sit on their hands.  This is a two year old thread.  How hard can it be to make a completely battery powered cordless unit?
Sonos seem to take a lot of persuading!!!! 2 years om from their comment and still no nearer?!
3 years old thread, Sonos hasn't even bothered to comment anymore. Obviously this isn't gonna happen, all they can think of is releasing old products in new colors. I'm kicking out my sonos stuff to replace it with more innovative brands. 
Clarification on why this is popular when other ideas clearly more popular are already tossed out as not planned?
I would buy if it had rechargeable battery
Userlevel 6
Badge +16
Any news to share sonos? For me and many others a portable Play would be the icing on the cake.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
For anyone in the UK that uses Spotify or Airplay I can recommend a Pioneer XW-SMA3K .
These is a wireless speaker with battery, discontinued by Pioneer and can can now be picked up brand new from the Argos Outlet via ebay at £69.99 (originally £300 when launched).  Has wifi, airplay, Spotify Connect (after firmware upgrade), line-in, USB-in, direct wifi, 5 hour battery, splash-proof and pretty good sound for the price.  The app is pretty poor but not needed if using any of the above.
see here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-XW-SMA3-Wireless-Speaker-Black-/151572433184
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Here it comes... http://youtu.be/SLn3LR0NcrE Oh no, sorry - it's a denon heos
Dear Sonos, the Beolit 12 (B&O) could be a base to work of? Great sound and build quality, the same as is expected of Sonos.
Modding for a usb power source
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLs2MeU9Wi0&feature=youtu.be
I NEED these Sonos speakers w re-chargeable battery...when will these be launched?? It's been a few years already since they said they'd consider this idea!! The summer is coming and I still can't take my music to my dock!!!