Question

Trueplay Bass Distortion on Play:1

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

Having stereo in two, physically separated speakers will give far better imaging than a single "stereo" speaker can ever achieve. I'm only aware of one BT speaker product (there may be others) that is capable of pairing; the Libratone Zipp. It costs more, and does not sound as good as the Play:1.

http://www.whathifi.com/libratone/zipp-2015/review
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
He said if i move the speaker, the Play 1 will know it's moved as it has an internal microphone which will sense it's in a different room and then disable TruePlay. This didn't happen and it remained on.

But anyway, it appeared while i was on the phone that the issue was resolved by re-tuning, but on further listening the issue was still there.

This doesn't sound right - I can't see Support making such a silly mistake in connection with the supposed mic in the play 1 unit. And the unit won't disable Trueplay on its own by some magic if relocated - it can't - but on moving the speaker, the tuning will become inaccurate and the best options would be to retune, or if that isn't possible, turn Trueplay off. AFAIK, Trueplay only gets turned off automatically if you change speaker configuration like stereo pair it, or bond it to a Sub. Very odd, what you are reporting - are you sure you were talking to Sonos Support?

And Support cannot retune - they can only suggest that you do so. Did you? And if the problem was resolved, did it automatically resurface with no other user input or location change?

That's a bit odd to me as well. The PLAY:1 doesn't have a microphone. They never did, even going back to the beta versions. I'll pull up the notes there and take a look at the incident.

Just out of curiosity, and if I missed it here please let me know, have you tried factory resetting one of those units, then adding it back in and testing the audio before Trueplay? If you do this, does it still have any sort of bass distortion?
a built in microphone which would sense the unit was moved and disable the TruePlay tuning, as he had tested this himself and even moving the unit by 1 inch disabled the TruePlay as it was that sensitive..
Eh?! I just moved a PLAY:1 several feet, turned it upside down and facing the wall. Trueplay was, as expected, still active.
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Same problem. 6490835 is my confirmation number. Thanks!

What is the exact message you're getting? And on what room.
Yup, I have exactly the same problem. All my stereo paired 1's are fine, just my single 1 that is like this. Switch trueplay off and it's fine - albeit sounds very flat compared to trueplay. I've turned the bass right down after trueplay - it stops the distortion or banging / popping, but sounds rubbish! Has anyone actually had a resolution on this?
I have the same issue with a pair of play 1's.They are in a small bathroom, mounted on the wall. After reading all the comments I turned "true play" off... Seems to have helped the issue. Any comments / feed back from Sonos if they are acknowledging true play could be a issue under some circumstances.?
I contacted Sonos support for exactly the same reason, distorted bass, popping sound, clipping whatever you want to call it, as it sounds terrible. They were very good & talked me through a factory reset, & initially I thought it had cured the problem but it hadn't. They offered to replace the unit but I returned it to the shop & the replacement is exactly the same.

The worst combination is true play & loudness both turned on & turning either one off reduces the problem. The only way to eliminate it altogether is to turn off true play & loudness but I think the sound is then very average & the bass particularly poor.

My friend has 2 x play 1's (which is why I bought one) but he doesn't have the true play option, as it's unavailable on an android phone, but when he played the same tracks he still has exactly the same problem. He'd never noticed it till I pointed it out to him, & again by turning off the loudness it seems to stop the problem.

So that's 4 x play 1's I can say I've heard with this problem & as someone else commented I can't believe relatively few people have noticed this, but then again my friend hadn't until I pointed it out to him.

I feel there's definitely a problem with this product but I'm going to contact Technical support again, as they were very good to be fair, but looking at how long this has gone on I don't think this is going to be resolved any time soon.

My plan is to buy another play 1 & pair them for stereo listening but I can't live with this problem & if it can't be resolved I will reluctantly have to replace it with an alternative brand.
Badge
Hi, I'm a long time Bose user (Headphones, Sound System, Portable - you name it). I recently bought Sonos thinking it was on the same level and that the company is very forward thinking (I'm on the latest everything techwise.) I've been reading through this thread and I'm getting exactly the same problem. I'm getting a popping, or a (thuuup) sound that if often mistimed or just downright distracting. It happens on almost every song when the volume is turned up and wanes when the sound is turned down. The sound quality is also sub-par compared to my other audio sources. It's unfortunately at the level of something cheap I could buy from Best Buy and connect via Bluetooth. Since I listen to a lot of melodic trance or dance music, you could imagine that this is incredibly distracting and unusable long term. I also exclusively stream all of my music and it really does sound like it's coming from a radio and not a digitized format.

I've tried re-tuning it several times, unplugging, and fiddling with presets in both the app and spotify. The problem still exists. Especially when the volume is turn up higher. I'd love to add more to the system, but so far I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. Is there something you can do to help? I'm on these speakers all day and they'll have to go soon if we can't fix it.

Thanks
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Of course. If you call Aonos and then Agee to a replacement hey will do an RMA.
If you give them your card number they will ship the replacement before they receive the return and then you can use that box. If not just pack in other box but do a good job.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Mine does the popping sound with Trueplay turned on or off, it seems to slowly raise the bass levels then it pops and turns the bass down, it then slowly raises bass again then pops again, I have already submitted diagnostics a while ago, but sonos couldn’t say what was wrong, we just have to put up with it I’m afraid, shame really because when the bass raises it has a real nice sound
If you factory reset that PLAY:1 and use it in a different room does it have that same audio issue? If so, it could be a hardware issue with that player.
I have a jbl extreme I replaced My play one with it, it has much better sound at much higher volumes. But if they sorted the play 1’s little distortion hick then the play one would smash the extreme easily, it’s a real shame, the play one has great potential for good sound at higher volumes, if only they sorted it out.
A proper EQ is needed badly, you should be able to tune the sound to your liking, I wish they would put a proper EQ on it, and lose the bass and treble controls.
Trueplay on my Sonos 1 worked for a while without distortion but I recently moved it to another room and after re-tuning the bass clipping / distortion is back. I tried re-tuning a number of times but no luck.

I just turn Trueplay off for the Play 1 and use the manual EQ instead.

Not ideal but workable.
Yes hopefully Sonos fix this Trueplay issue in a software update. Trueplay seems to ‘overdrive’ the bottom end resulting in these bass pops. I wish Sonos would implement a proper ten channel EQ. I ran my Mac through my Play 5 line in and used the iTunes EQ. The Play 1 sounded great with none of the bass pop and a sparkling treble range. The music didn’t sound muddy as it normally does just using the Sonos EQ. Such a shame the potential of this speaker is locked out of reach of the customer. Fingers crossed for that update .??
Badge +1
Just been on with Sonos and have to say after a reset and retune it's slightly better. It's still there, but not as bad. Tomorrow I have to retune again but focus on where I normally sit, not the whole room.
Badge +1
Just been on with Sonos and have to say after a reset and retune it's slightly better. It's still there, but not as bad. Tomorrow I have to retune again but focus on where I normally sit, not the whole room.

Were you on the phone with them? Keep us posted. They want me to give them a call, hopefully, I can find the time next week.

FB Messanger, I couldn't find a number for love nor money.

Will do.
At the bottom of this page, click on the link "Contact Us". Then click on the link on the right side at the top that says "Skip to see all options' and you should get a page that shows you Twitter, Phone and email options.

Frustrating how many clicks it takes, and how it's "hidden". While I recognize the desire to point people to other forms of contact, the phone numbers shouldn't be hidden, especially as they are now doing much more of the "you need to call in and talk to a technician" response here in the boards.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Maybe this is a newer play 1 hardware issue then if the older models don’t seem to be effected. So your positive there is no bass distortion at all in your older play 1’s?

Actually I looked back at the purchase dates and they are only a few months apart (July and November of 2017), hardware versions are the same (1.20.1.6-2), not sure if there's anything to be gleaned from the serial numbers. Also considering this thread is 2 years old I'm less inclined to believe its a hardware issue.

The reason that I’m surprised that your bedroom does not have any distortion is that I’ve had 4 different units one being my uncles and 3 from bought new and return because I thought it was broken. Bought another one same problem and Sonos replaces it because they said it was defective and now the one they sent me is doing the same thing. I know I’m asking a lot of you but I’m trying to figure things out to help everyone who effected by this. Is your bedroom a single unit or a pair? If it’s a pair could you do me a favour and unpair them and set them up as singles units and try each one out with the music that does it the most in the kitchen. Please play the music between 25% - 50% volume and with trueplay on and then let me know if it sounds distorted at all. If you can’t it’s all good it will just help me better understand how widespread this is because I’m contacting sonos back and forth on the issue.

To be honest, since everything is working fine in my bedroom I'd rather not mess with it right now. But yes, the 2 in the bedroom are set up as a pair, as are the 2 in the kitchen. I can say I built up the system in my bedroom over time...I started with one Play:1, then added a second Play:1, then recently added a Playbar...always used Trueplay after setting up a new device and have used at all different volumes for months, and never had a similar issue like my kitchen Play:1s. I am curious what could be the problem and can test out my kitchen Play:1s in other rooms, but that will have to wait until next weekend when I have time.
Thank you for the reply!

I have submitted the diagnostics and the confirmation number is 5189189. This is with Trueplay turned on.
From here it is difficult to know what is happening. One possibility is that something near the PLAY:1 is being excited by certain bass notes. This would be very sharply tuned and only a few tracks might excite this resonance.

I have noticed very aggressive bass from time to time -- prior to Trueplay. and after Trueplay. It is always the same music service tracks that have the issue. I have separately tested the PLAY:1's and have not been able to prove that they have any issues.
Badge
I have exactly this too. It's since updating the software to Trueplay. The low drum notes distort, sound bloated and overpowered and then get pulled back a little. It's also like a low popping noise.

It's not dissimilar from poor quality streams or low digital sources, but my sources are lossless and any case sounded fine before. Turning off trueplay just makes the sound overall bad, so I really want this sorted!
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I have exactly this too. It's since updating the software to Trueplay. The low drum notes distort, sound bloated and overpowered and then get pulled back a little. It's also like a low popping noise.

It's not dissimilar from poor quality streams or low digital sources, but my sources are lossless and any case sounded fine before. Turning off trueplay just makes the sound overall bad, so I really want this sorted!

Hello Detailme, this is very odd. The update will not change in any way the sound unless you use TruePlay. Also, when TruePlay is turned off the Sonos speaker should be returned back to the way it was.
I would like more information about your Sonos device and the device in question. Mind submitting a diagnostic and replying with the confirmation number? Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Ok great thanks for getting in touch I have hard reset the speakers and not used trueplay should I set it back up with trueplay before ringing tech support?

It'd be great if you could test out running Trueplay on at least one of those rooms. If you find that the audio on that PLAY:1 is altered even with Trueplay off we'd love to take a closer look. The audio for any unit should be exactly the same with Trueplay off as it was before you ran Trueplay at all. If you don't find that to be the case, please do give us a call so we can look into it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Thanks for the update Ben. There are just a few basics to check to begin with which can sometimes be a little tedious. It's good to know that there wasn't anything damaged with that unit, at least anything that appeared to the technician. Thanks for working with us, and feel free to update that ticket when you have more information. I've added a note in there as well.
The PLAY:1 is already quite heavily EQ'd in the bass to deliver a full sound from such a small enclosure. If the Trueplay room compensation is quite strong then it appears that certain bass content can cause occasional 'popping', presumably due to clipping somewhere in the audio pipeline. This occurs upstream of the volume control. It's not related to a specific hardware unit; alternative PLAY:1s in that location exhibit the same behaviour.