Question

Trueplay Bass Distortion on Play:1

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

Badge
Im going to try swapping to another room and re run to see how they sound at the weekend
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I have also noticed this with TruePlay with my Play 1 speaker in the kitchen. Bass can sound over-driven despite the volume being low. I wouldn't dare to crank up the volume for fear of damaging the speaker. I have since turned off TruePlay and this has improved the situation.

I also have a pair of Play 1's and Sub in my living room and I've not experienced the problems with theses, or my Play 3.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
A TruePlay retune and lowering the bass setting helped, but there was still distortion. In the end I've turned off TruePlay and there's no distortion.
Since I have done the Trueplay setup I have noticed that the bass was too high on a Play 1 and a play 5. Is there anyway fix coming in the future to have a better sound setup ?
Badge
Ive turned it off now aswell which is a shame but the bass distortion is annoying
Badge
Yeah I have a ticket open but not got anywhere with it tried everything so reverted back to normal now.
Badge +2
I would like more information about your Sonos device and the device in question. Mind submitting a diagnostic and replying with the confirmation number? Here's an article explaining how: How to Submit Diagnostic

I seem to have this issue with my Play:1s too - I have submitted diagnostics too (5419640). Any chance you can take a look for me?
Badge
Hi just done a diag for you 5421578, its the kitchen speakers but I can also hear the same issue on my bedroom ones but its not as obvious.
Badge
I have found it a bit better if loudness is off but not gone by any means.
Badge +2

Thanks Jim. There are some network connection errors on the diagnostic from a few hours previous, nothing to worry about and not something that would cause audio quality issues. Make sure you've tried that unit in a different room and re-running Trueplay tuning. If you've done so, and the audio still doesn't sound right, I'd recommend giving us a call on our support line and working with a technician live.

I'll give that a try and come contact support if need be - thanks.

Out of curiosity - if it's OK in a different room, what could have be the issue?
I am experiencing something similar with both of my Play 1s. The bass sounds fine, but speaker regularly "pops" on kick drum beats as if the woofer were hitting maximum excursion. This even happens at relatively low level making me wonder if there is some sub-sonic thing going on that is maxing out the woofer, or some other issue. I'm going to try turning off the true play and experimenting with the EQ to see what effect that has, but there is definitely something going on that is not just a room resonance etc.