Answered

SONOS OUTDOOR SPEAKERS

• 30 April 2017
  • 38 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

Please get outdoor speakers....
I would love an outdoor sonos too, if anyone else cares to hear that
Would love an outdoor Sonos speaker option.

On a side note, would also be interested in the ability to connect with other current Bluetooth/WIFI portable speakers. Say allow the SONOS system to connect to the UE Megaboom speakers (which also now come with Alexa in which you could potentially use also to control your sonos system). Or SONOS to make a portable option. Just food for thought.
Badge
I'm an owner and an installer of SONOS in Florida. Many of the properties I've connected with SONOS (as well as my own), have large outdoor spaces that are used 6-8 months of the year as dining areas or living rooms. All of them have roaming networks or extenders that provide excellent reception in there out door living areas. I have many clients with televisions and other equipment outdoors. I have at least 20 people with coral or concrete obstructions that prevent clean wiring pulls to use a connect amp remotely. All of them need a solution to this problem. Many of them are retirement age. They LOVE there SONOS, and they don't care what it would cost to have music in there courtyard area. We need a weather proof speaker.

How do you expect the speakers to function? Because unless you use battery operated devices you're not going to make it work. Even passive speakers are going to need a wire pulled to them. And if you're pulling a speaker wire then a Connect Amp is the solution.

Otherwise if you want the convenience of Sonos' app or remotes then use the line-out from an Amp to drive a bluetooth dongle. Then pair portable bluetooth speakers to that and put them where desired. I've even used an Amazon Tap that way (mostly for movie playback since it has it's own music features, but it'd work just the same with a line-out from a Sonos)
I'm an owner and an installer of SONOS in Florida. Many of the properties I've connected with SONOS (as well as my own), have large outdoor spaces that are used 6-8 months of the year as dining areas or living rooms. All of them have roaming networks or extenders that provide excellent reception in there out door living areas. I have many clients with televisions and other equipment outdoors. I have at least 20 people with coral or concrete obstructions that prevent clean wiring pulls to use a connect amp remotely. All of them need a solution to this problem. Many of them are retirement age. They LOVE there SONOS, and they don't care what it would cost to have music in there courtyard area. We need a weather proof speaker.
Userlevel 1
] You can buy connect amps and run wire outside to outdoor speakers. I went with Polk Atrium 8 speakers which in my opinion are worthy of being in a Sonos equippped home. But as Kumar said there are many outdoor speakers on the market. You can group the play 3 inside to work with the speakers outside so if you walk in and out you won't miss a beat. - Kris :)

Agree, this is my exact set-up. It gets hot outside here, so I wouldn't want to put an amp out there. I've always used Connects to drive outdoor speakers.
That's my current set -up also. I'm interested in a weather-proof arrangement Thanks for the reply.
I have an Apple airport express wifi extender right by my patio window. I use my Play 5 outside no issues (shaded patio) and bring it inside at the end of the day.
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Can I combine an indoor Sonos system of three Play:3s with a blue tooth or other all-weather outdoor system? How? What? You can buy connect amps and run wire outside to outdoor speakers. I went with Polk Atrium 8 speakers which in my opinion are worthy of being in a Sonos equippped home. But as Kumar said there are many outdoor speakers on the market. You can group the play 3 inside to work with the speakers outside so if you walk in and out you won't miss a beat. - Kris 🙂
Can I combine an indoor Sonos system of three Play:3s with a blue tooth or other all-weather outdoor system? How? What?
More importantly, the challenge of safe supply of mains power in their environment is a significant one, in a market crowded with many excellent passive speakers. Both need cabling, but the kind required for speaker signals is less of a challenge to install safely.
Badge
Ditto the request for outdoor speakers...perhaps too hard to reliably mesh together and dependent upon wireless routers penetrating stucco etc?
At last rumor report, Sonos had considered, and stopped development of it. As to whether they've changed their mind, who knows. They don't tell the public in advance regarding new hardware, until such point as it's about to be sold, say a month in advance. See the recent Playbar, which was announced about 30 days out. Also, note their reticence to share the development timeline on their software. It just doesn't make any sense for them to share that, until they are ready to start drumming up sales.