Answered

SONOS OUTDOOR SPEAKERS

• 30 April 2017
  • 38 replies

Userlevel 2
When will SONOS introduce outdoor speakers?
icon

Best answer by Peagle 5 February 2019, 16:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

38 replies

I'm an owner and an installer of SONOS in Florida. Many of the properties I've connected with SONOS (as well as my own), have large outdoor spaces that are used 6-8 months of the year as dining areas or living rooms. All of them have roaming networks or extenders that provide excellent reception in there out door living areas. I have many clients with televisions and other equipment outdoors. I have at least 20 people with coral or concrete obstructions that prevent clean wiring pulls to use a connect amp remotely. All of them need a solution to this problem. Many of them are retirement age. They LOVE there SONOS, and they don't care what it would cost to have music in there courtyard area. We need a weather proof speaker.
At last rumor report, Sonos had considered, and stopped development of it. As to whether they've changed their mind, who knows. They don't tell the public in advance regarding new hardware, until such point as it's about to be sold, say a month in advance. See the recent Playbar, which was announced about 30 days out. Also, note their reticence to share the development timeline on their software. It just doesn't make any sense for them to share that, until they are ready to start drumming up sales.
Badge
Ditto the request for outdoor speakers...perhaps too hard to reliably mesh together and dependent upon wireless routers penetrating stucco etc?
More importantly, the challenge of safe supply of mains power in their environment is a significant one, in a market crowded with many excellent passive speakers. Both need cabling, but the kind required for speaker signals is less of a challenge to install safely.
Badge
I'm an owner and an installer of SONOS in Florida. Many of the properties I've connected with SONOS (as well as my own), have large outdoor spaces that are used 6-8 months of the year as dining areas or living rooms. All of them have roaming networks or extenders that provide excellent reception in there out door living areas. I have many clients with televisions and other equipment outdoors. I have at least 20 people with coral or concrete obstructions that prevent clean wiring pulls to use a connect amp remotely. All of them need a solution to this problem. Many of them are retirement age. They LOVE there SONOS, and they don't care what it would cost to have music in there courtyard area. We need a weather proof speaker.

How do you expect the speakers to function? Because unless you use battery operated devices you're not going to make it work. Even passive speakers are going to need a wire pulled to them. And if you're pulling a speaker wire then a Connect Amp is the solution.

Otherwise if you want the convenience of Sonos' app or remotes then use the line-out from an Amp to drive a bluetooth dongle. Then pair portable bluetooth speakers to that and put them where desired. I've even used an Amazon Tap that way (mostly for movie playback since it has it's own music features, but it'd work just the same with a line-out from a Sonos)
I would love an outdoor sonos too, if anyone else cares to hear that
Please get outdoor speakers....
Hi There,

I installed a couple Sonos 1's last November under a covered deck, flanking the hot tub. They've survived snow, rain, humidity and freezing temps here in Langley, BC. No direct exposure to weather, however i believe they are very resiliant.
Userlevel 7
Hi CMurry

If the powered speakers have a line-in you could incorporate a BT transceiver unit with a Sonos Connect as follows:

_BT receiver to line-in of speakers
_BT transmitter from Line-out of Sonos Connect (assuming it isn't used with your receiver)

The question becomes whether or not BT can penetrate the walls of your home? In any event you'll need a Sonos Connect. If I have missed something let me know.

Cheers!
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Is the Amp driving the new speakers inside or outside? I was hoping for a “sonos ONE” outdoor speaker, i.e. a toughened up sonos one.
I'm disappointed. They are really nothing more than what I have connected to my Connect driven receiver currently. And are 15 times the cost. Quick and easy way out for Sonos, and not even close to what everyone has been asking for for years.

The speakers do allow for trueplay (not mentioned on the outdoor ones though), and I couldn't really tell whether they are worth the price. I get that it's not what you and many other posters wanted, but I don't see why you'd be disappointed by this. Sonos never said they were going to provide powered outdoor speakers, possibly with battery, but they did announce they were going to partner with Sonance for passive speakers.

The price does seem high to me, but again, little mention of the quality, or even dimensions for that matter. I would guess that this is mostly geared towards professional installations, where perhaps paying a premium isn't that big of a concern. Sonos said they talked with installers regarding the design of the Amp, hopefully they consulted on this as well.
Can I combine an indoor Sonos system of three Play:3s with a blue tooth or other all-weather outdoor system? How? What?
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
Can I combine an indoor Sonos system of three Play:3s with a blue tooth or other all-weather outdoor system? How? What? You can buy connect amps and run wire outside to outdoor speakers. I went with Polk Atrium 8 speakers which in my opinion are worthy of being in a Sonos equippped home. But as Kumar said there are many outdoor speakers on the market. You can group the play 3 inside to work with the speakers outside so if you walk in and out you won't miss a beat. - Kris 🙂
I have an Apple airport express wifi extender right by my patio window. I use my Play 5 outside no issues (shaded patio) and bring it inside at the end of the day.
That's my current set -up also. I'm interested in a weather-proof arrangement Thanks for the reply.
Userlevel 1
] You can buy connect amps and run wire outside to outdoor speakers. I went with Polk Atrium 8 speakers which in my opinion are worthy of being in a Sonos equippped home. But as Kumar said there are many outdoor speakers on the market. You can group the play 3 inside to work with the speakers outside so if you walk in and out you won't miss a beat. - Kris :)

Agree, this is my exact set-up. It gets hot outside here, so I wouldn't want to put an amp out there. I've always used Connects to drive outdoor speakers.
Would love an outdoor Sonos speaker option.

On a side note, would also be interested in the ability to connect with other current Bluetooth/WIFI portable speakers. Say allow the SONOS system to connect to the UE Megaboom speakers (which also now come with Alexa in which you could potentially use also to control your sonos system). Or SONOS to make a portable option. Just food for thought.
LOVE my Sonos!!! Getting a pool put into the new house and would love to add SONOS outside..
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The Connect Amp or a Connect and stand-alone amp work really well to power water / weather proof outside speakers and give you a lot of flexibility in setting them up.

If you are thinking multi-speaker mono the stand-alone amp might be a good option.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
If it would increase Sonos’s revenue they would manufacture an outdoor speaker. They’re research and development looked into it I’m sure, but concluded such a product wouldn’t sell as needed; at least, for now.
I have a Sonos Boost connected to my house router and a Sonos Connect hardwired to a receiver and two wired floor speakers. I would like my Sonos to also talk to powered wireless speakers outside. I already have power outside and I do not want to run more wires from inside to outside because my house is over 100 years old and I would have to drill through 4 layers of brick plus plaster. My Connect is very close to the front door and should not have trouble talking to speakers on the front porch. Are there still no good solutions to this?
Thank you. So the only solution is still to go bluetooth? other than running a cable and drilling a hole through the house. or dragging it out and back in. I guess I didn't do enough research when we bought Sonos. I never imagined we wouldn't be able to set up for a powered wifi speaker outside if we wanted to expand.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Sonos + Sonance outdoor speakers announced
https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/5/18211731/sonos-sonance-amp-outdoor-speaker-price-release-date
I'm disappointed. They are really nothing more than what I have connected to my Connect driven receiver currently. And are 15 times the cost. Quick and easy way out for Sonos, and not even close to what everyone has been asking for for years.
Userlevel 7
Thank you. So the only solution is still to go bluetooth? other than running a cable and drilling a hole through the house. or dragging it out and back in. I guess I didn't do enough research when we bought Sonos. I never imagined we wouldn't be able to set up for a powered wifi speaker outside if we wanted to expand.

To be clear...

You will require a Sonos Connect which may be a 2nd unit.

This next part is a very big IF: If the speakers are not completely exposed you could run RCA weather resistant cable (see link) Line-in to the speakers from a Line-out of a 2nd Sonos Connect that is shielded from the elements or only use it when weather permits.

https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-SMRCA6-Channel-Waterproof-Interconnect/dp/B00DZXKOAA/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1549383475&sr=8-15&keywords=Rca+Connector+Waterproof

You would also run weather resistant Ethernet Cat5e from the Connect around the outside of your home to the boost (which would most likely require drilling to reach the boost ). Just thinking outside of the box :8

All the above assumes the speakers can't be reached via BT.

Cheers!