Answered

Sonos Era300 6GHz?

• 25 December 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a sonos Era300 which I have been using for Spotify, which is working great as usual. Recenty I also started using Airplay, and found I have quite a delay in audio when using airplay from my Macbook M2. The Macbook is wired to the access point and the Era 300 is placed 2 meters from the access point.

I am using a google Wifi Pro setup, with all 3 access points wired to the main one. When i check the Sonos app and the Google home app, both are reporting that the Era300 is using 5GHz.

Question 1
Is Era300 not capable of using the 6GHz band or am I mistaken by my lack of knowledge about wifi 6e? If so, is there anything I can do to make it use this band? 

Question 2
If it is even possible to get it running on 6GHz, would that possibly solve my issue, or is the delay just a normal artifact of using Airplay?

Let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by ratty 25 December 2023, 21:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge +20

Wi-Fi 6 which the Era 300 supports is not the same as 6E.

Era300 doesn’t use 6GHz. https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

A delay (~2 seconds) is inherent when using AirPlay. Some source devices can compensate for this so as to maintain lip-sync. 

If your Era is close enough to your Mac you could always wire it using the Sonos Line-in adapter.

Great, thanks for the quick response! I also managed to sorta find that conclusion by searching some more. Was just reading somewhere that it was supported, but apparently that is only by hardware and not software.