Answered

Sonos Era300 6GHz?

• 25 December 2023
  • 3 replies

I have a sonos Era300 which I have been using for Spotify, which is working great as usual. Recenty I also started using Airplay, and found I have quite a delay in audio when using airplay from my Macbook M2. The Macbook is wired to the access point and the Era 300 is placed 2 meters from the access point.

I am using a google Wifi Pro setup, with all 3 access points wired to the main one. When i check the Sonos app and the Google home app, both are reporting that the Era300 is using 5GHz.

Question 1
Is Era300 not capable of using the 6GHz band or am I mistaken by my lack of knowledge about wifi 6e? If so, is there anything I can do to make it use this band? 

Question 2
If it is even possible to get it running on 6GHz, would that possibly solve my issue, or is the delay just a normal artifact of using Airplay?

Let me know if more information is needed.

Thanks in advance.

icon

Best answer by ratty 25 December 2023, 21:53

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Great, thanks for the quick response! I also managed to sorta find that conclusion by searching some more. Was just reading somewhere that it was supported, but apparently that is only by hardware and not software. 

Era300 doesn’t use 6GHz. https://support.sonos.com/en-gb/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

A delay (~2 seconds) is inherent when using AirPlay. Some source devices can compensate for this so as to maintain lip-sync. 

If your Era is close enough to your Mac you could always wire it using the Sonos Line-in adapter.

Badge +20

Wi-Fi 6 which the Era 300 supports is not the same as 6E.