Question

Sonos affected by Wireless Access Point hardware change

• 21 August 2020
  • 62 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

This is getting murkier to me!

The above is all I see when I call up the log.

I have no idea why items 3 and down have the strange date that they do.

10.0.*.** is the IP address reserved for the TP Link Mac address in the main router.

And the DHCP server seem to be starting, though at the weird date/time, per item 8 for example.

PS: all Sonos units also have IP addresses reserved in the same router, preceding 10.0.*.**.

**Moderator Note: Please censor personal information when posting.**

@ratty: done. I gave it the same address and the Wifi bit of the TP link is working. Now to see what happens to Sonos over the next day or so.

Looks like this now, instead of saying dynamic IP it now says static IP

**Moderator Note: Please censor personal information when posting pictures.**

Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Obviously the culprit here is the TP-Link device, which for unknown reasons are hampering the network connectivity for your Connect:AMP.

Try moving the TP-link device (connect it directly to the router, and then via the same switch as your Connect:AMP) and see if the problem still occurs. Another test that might tell something would be to daisy chain the TP-Link into the Connect:AMP.

If the TP-Link is doing something odd with ARP discovery and confuses the router and the switches about the path to your Connect:AMP, I would expect everything to work if it is daisy-chained with the Connect:AMP. If that is the case, I would return it immediately :)

Thanks gents, for all the inputs.

A question for access points in general. If one was to buy an access point that works only as that when wired back to the router - assuming that such devices exist - can one assume that if it is added to the core network via a wire from a Sonos unit wired to said network, it can be assumed safely that it will work without any hiccups in Sonos?

WA850 turned up a day earlier, and it is a case of so far so good.

Perhaps one reasons why it behaves differently is that there is an option for DHCP between Auto, On, and Off. So Off can be user selected once IP address reservation is done in the Time Capsule. 

Early behaviour also suggests that from within his smallish room, it is coping with the delivery of HD streams to my son’s Firestick, so there is that box also hopefully ticked.

What the RE205 gains by having different internals with respect to the DHCP aspects if that is indeed the cause for it to disturb Sonos, is a mystery to me. I can't see its dual band feature to be a reason.

Keep in mind that the SONOS network ports are 10/100. 

@buzz yes, but that has not been a constraint in the six months that I am using them to extend wired internet within a room. I consistently get speeds of 50 Mbps broadband per my plan from the access point so wired, just the way I get these speeds from the main router. Firestick HD Video streams are solid and there is no effect on Sonos music play. I suspect the missing gigabit port feature is one that is rarely needed in domestic environments in practice.

The problem with Sonos raised its head only when I replaced the Airport Express with the TP Link as the wired from Sonos Port WiFi propagator in a remote bedroom.

PS: Note that Sonos net is not in use here, the Sonos unit is being used just as simple switch where the access point is concerned. 

The Connect Amp dropped off again, and I suspect this happened after the TP Link on the other side of the wall was powered on by my son on his arrival. 

Very frustrating. The system as is consists of the Boost and few other units including the same Connect Amp wired to the core network. The TP link just has the one wire running back to the router anchoring the core network, no connection to any Sonos unit except via being connected to the same router/switch. To avoid WiFi interference from the TP Link, I have even disabled WiFi on the Connect Amp. 

As soon as it was rebooted, the Connect Amp came up again, and perhaps it will now stay that way until the next time the TP Link is power cycled!

No joy. I saw a different wired to core network Sonos unit in the balcony drop off.

I got tired and thought to see what happens if I pull the TP link out of the network completely by detaching it physically and powering it off.

And although this needs a couple of days use to be 100% sure, it does feel like Sonos is back to its old stable self right away. 

Over the next day or two I will see if this stable Sonos state continues as I suspect it will having seen it so for many months now.

But this is disappointing because it means that the TP Link, whose simultaneous dual band feature was useful to my son with his PS4 that has no 5 GHz - while his Firestick needs 5 - cannot be used and only AEX units will serve. 

It also means that even what should be simple devices like access points can fox Sonos. Even where Sonos is wired to the core network.

it means that the TP Link, whose simultaneous dual band feature was useful to my son with his PS4 that has no 5 GHz - while his Firestick needs 5 - cannot be used and only AEX units will serve. 

Firesticks don’t ‘need’ 5GHz. They can be connected to either band. 

It also means that even what should be simple devices like access points can fox Sonos. Even where Sonos is wired to the core network.

Well, at least two of us here have reported misgivings about some of the RE2xx devices. On the other hand I’ve used the simpler WA850RE in several locations for years with Sonos and never had any problems.

HD video streams are more solid/stable with 5 GHz.

Let me see if the simpler device is available here, and does simultaneous dual band.