Answered

Play:5 (1st gen) stopped working

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

40 replies

I’ve just had a notification that a new Play5 is on its way and should be here Monday. The item number is ‘PL5G2UK2’ which sounds like a Gen2 to me which is awesome!

Cant believe im reading this.

if 5 out of million sonos products (out of which 1 is my sonos play 5 1gen) suddenly breaks for No reason (power black out in my case), they should naturally see this an exeption and just replace it.

a world top quality speaker should just work. Period.

Buyers agree to a 1 year warranty upon purchase of the product.  So just how long should a 1 year warranty last? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I think that,though Sonos does seem to be a caring company and makes a nice product,the one year warrantee does not instill confidence in their product longevity.

Two years would be far more acceptable and I totally understand they might have to raise their prices a bit,to compensate for the extra year.

Still,the number “two” in front of their warrantee looks much better than what they currently offer.

Even the el-cheapo electronics products on the market offer one year!

Also,in the Sonos Video,showing the development of the Play 5(a fabulous speaker,imo)…..

A key Sonos employee specifically says “it was designed to last ten years or more”!

Sheesh!

Cant believe im reading this.

if 5 out of million sonos products (out of which 1 is my sonos play 5 1gen) suddenly breaks for No reason (power black out in my case), they should naturally see this an exeption and just replace it.

a world top quality speaker should just work. Period.

Buyers agree to a 1 year warranty upon purchase of the product.  So just how long should a 1 year warranty last? 

if the surface is matted by the sun, if the button needs to be replaced, or if the sound starts to get a bit worse after a year - I wouldnt have a problem.

end of warranty does not equal end of tecniqual lifetime.

are You saying that the products live longer if I buy extra warranty?

if the surface is matted by the sun, if the button needs to be replaced, or if the sound starts to get a bit worse after a year - I wouldnt have a problem.

end of warranty does not equal end of tecniqual lifetime.

are You saying that the products live longer if I buy extra warranty?

No, I’m saying to expect a replacement for a device that is outside the warranty period requires ignoring the very definition of the word “warranty” (the original point of the thread).  

Oh wait, are you talking about S1/S2/legacy/modern?  If so, this is the wrong thread.  But I’ll bite: S1/legacy does not mean “end of tecniqual (sic) lifetime”.  S1 devices run just the same today as they did before S1, and will receive updates for security and bug fixes in the future.  So their technical lifetime goes merrily onward. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +1

My play 5 (gen 1) has also died today after updating to S1. On the release of S2… how convenient... 

Badge

I tried a repair I seen on YouTube. Same symptoms as mine. I ordered the parts and repaired. Did not fix the problem. Now my Play 5 is sitting in a box. I have another one that works .

Badge

I have two Gen 1 Play 5’s. One just quit working like so many of yours. I did call Sonos and talk with a Tech. The only thing they could do is give me a discount off a new product. ( 30 % ). I do understand in wear and tear on electrical boards, circuits, rectifiers, etc. I asked for a schematic and they could not provide one. I checked my box ( I have 2 Play 5 boxes ) and no schematic. I replaced the two capacitors, one fuse, and a rectifier . This repair is on Youtube. That did not work either. I have put the Play 5 in a box with all the parts, just incase my other one goes out. Funny, That no repair shop will touch a Sonos for repair. With the 30% off the new product, it may not be worth repairing the Sonos Play 5. I am planning on purchasing a Home Theater Arc System from Sonos.  

So I have a Play 1, Play 3 and Play 5, Sonos Controller ( wireless ) Sonos booster Hub. I want to keep these in play while I have the Home Theater ARC system in play also. My Sonos Controller battery has bit the dust. ( $60.00 for a new one ) If you upgrade to the new Sonos App the old one goes away. Is it possible to have the two App’s on your phone at once ? 

FYI : My Sonos Play 5 stayed in one spot for years and years. Only moved to wipe off or clean. Never dropped, jarred, treated it like family. I am dissapointed that the unit broke down . If I had mistreated it , I could rectify it going out. But I did not. 

I do love the Sonos System, I could control the volume of each speaker and create a surreal sound effect.  

Hard to tell. It might. Why not try?

You do know the Play:4 Gen 1 in 

I think that,though Sonos does seem to be a caring company and makes a nice product,the one year warrantee does not instill confidence in their product longevity.

Two years would be far more acceptable and I totally understand they might have to raise their prices a bit,to compensate for the extra year.

Still,the number “two” in front of their warrantee looks much better than what they currently offer.

Even the el-cheapo electronics products on the market offer one year!

Also,in the Sonos Video,showing the development of the Play 5(a fabulous speaker,imo)…..

A key Sonos employee specifically says “it was designed to last ten years or more”!

Sheesh!

The poster was speaking about the Play:5 Gen 1.  That was last manufactured in 2015, so it was far out of any sensible warranty period,  and 1 vs 2 years doesn’t really apply in this instance. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Your warranty ran out, you didn't purchase an extended warranty and now you are unhappy with a nice $150 discount from the list price of $499?

What would you consider acceptable?

Add my to the list. Very frustrated. Well invested in SONOS. My Play 5 (gen 1) had very little use and has stopped working. Tech support put me through the standard trouble shooting - including the hassle of plugging into router - to no avail. Connection is fine but no sound. I was offered the 30% trade up discount. Still going to be a big out of pocket cost.

*Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the community guidelines.*

Hi. Call Sonos Support, who should be able to confirm definitively if it's a hardware failure, which it probably is given the symptoms. Sonos sometimes offer discounted out-of-warranty replacement (gen 2?), although this depends on circumstances. It is worth asking the question.
Thanks, have messaged support in the meantime. Having searched the forum I see a few others have had the same problem.
Thanks, have messaged support in the meantime. Having searched the forum I see a few others have had the same problem.Well, with millions of Sonos devices sold over the last 15 years, I think one might expect one or two failures 🙂