Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

I stupidly assumed that you would be able to pair these speakers without doing my usual research beforehand, and went and bought two Sonos Ones with the sole intention of setting them up like this. Luckily I bought directly from Sonos and have the 100 day trial period, so they'll be going straight back unfortunately.
It seems so stupid that this wasn't built in functionality from day dot. Logistically there is no reason that this shouldn't be the case, so it would have had to have been a conscious decision not to enable it.

"Stupidly" you didn't read the whole thread, and therefore missed the multiple dozens of times it was mentioned that you can easily pair a Sonos One with a Play:1 using the SonoSequencr app, available at the App Store.
Badge
I stupidly assumed that you would be able to pair these speakers without doing my usual research beforehand, and went and bought two Sonos Ones with the sole intention of setting them up like this. Luckily I bought directly from Sonos and have the 100 day trial period, so they'll be going straight back unfortunately.
It seems so stupid that this wasn't built in functionality from day dot. Logistically there is no reason that this shouldn't be the case, so it would have had to have been a conscious decision not to enable it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Sounds like you're confusing grouping (each speaker plays the same sound) with pairing (one speaker plays the left channel and the other plays the right channel).
Sonos app only suports the former (for a Play 1 and One (or any ither differently named speaker)).
Well jgatie, I tried using the app as you suggested, but couldn’t find my way around it. After a while I gave up and went back to the Sonos app which had just updated. I found hat, once I had unpaired my Play 1’s I could set up the One in my dining room and pair the Play 1 and One together. Great. I couldn’t manage the same in my Sunroom but i’m Working on it.
Sonos have possibly responded to the complaints on here with the update.
Thanks jgatie, I have looked at the app and will do the set up tomorrow when I have more time. Fingers crossed.
Having purchased 4 Sonos Play 1’s for the main rooms in my house, I have been advised that the Alexa enabled Sonos One has been released and Sonos offered me a discount on 2 of the new speakers. I wanted the voice control functionality but couldn’t justify the expense. So I decided to wait. Then I received an e mail advising that the discount offer was finishing, so I bought a pair intending to place on if each of the pairs on Sonos Play 1’s I had to give me voice control in both rooms. Now they have arrived and I investigate how to pair them into the existing system I discover this cannot be done. Why would you want 2 Alexa enable speakers in one room, and why did Sonos assume I would want to start repacking my recently purchased Sonos Play 1’s anyway.
Very unhappy at having wasted £350 for nothing.

You can easily pair the Play:1 with a Sonos One using the SonoSequencr app:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sonosequencr/id967043604?mt=8
Having purchased 4 Sonos Play 1’s for the main rooms in my house, I have been advised that the Alexa enabled Sonos One has been released and Sonos offered me a discount on 2 of the new speakers. I wanted the voice control functionality but couldn’t justify the expense. So I decided to wait. Then I received an e mail advising that the discount offer was finishing, so I bought a pair intending to place on if each of the pairs on Sonos Play 1’s I had to give me voice control in both rooms. Now they have arrived and I investigate how to pair them into the existing system I discover this cannot be done. Why would you want 2 Alexa enable speakers in one room, and why did Sonos assume I would want to start repacking my recently purchased Sonos Play 1’s anyway.
Very unhappy at having wasted £350 for nothing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Can you tell me how you did this! Ive tried grouping the one and Play as a stereo pair and grouping all components but I. annot seem to get it to work. What sequence did you follow? Thanks.

Assuming you are referring to one/1 in a 5.1 setup...

Open Sonosequencer.... at the bottom of screen there is the word devices. Click on devices. List of your Sonos speakers will come up. click on the playbar/playbase speaker name. In the top section you see the word Config. Click on config. This will bring you to the configuration screen to setup your surround speakers in any combination you want.

Courtesy of Chris on another thread
Set up and tested the 5.1 system with PlayBar + Sub + Play:1 + One, and it works perfectly!
Can you tell me how you did this! Ive tried grouping the one and Play as a stereo pair and grouping all components but I. annot seem to get it to work. What sequence did you follow? Thanks.
Set up and tested the 5.1 system with PlayBar + Sub + Play:1 + One, and it works perfectly!
Badge +3
Hi there. I have a stereo pair of Play:1's in my kitchen. I would like to swap one out for a new Sonos One but will not until ... a) the Sonos One can form a stereo pair with an existing Play:1 and b) there is a commitment from Sonos to support Google Home on the Sonos One. Otherwise i have zero motivation to spend more money.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Iam very disappointed and I feel duped by the marketing of Play One. I already have playbar and two Paly1s as a theatre and I understood that swapping one of the Play1 for a new Play One would allow me to continue this setup but add the Alexa. Now turns out I need tow Play Ones, which is frankly redivulous. Even with newer electronics its only a software issue to enable these to be made to pair in stereo. IF I HAD KNWN THIS I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT THIS. And I will be disuading anyone esle from falling foul of the same ruse. Come on Sonos do the right thing and make these work instead of fooling your followers.

Or you could just use the SonoSequencer app and get exactly what you wish.

Complaining is obviously more fun than going for a solution.
Iam very disappointed and I feel duped by the marketing of Play One. I already have playbar and two Paly1s as a theatre and I understood that swapping one of the Play1 for a new Play One would allow me to continue this setup but add the Alexa. Now turns out I need tow Play Ones, which is frankly redivulous. Even with newer electronics its only a software issue to enable these to be made to pair in stereo. IF I HAD KNWN THIS I WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT THIS. And I will be disuading anyone esle from falling foul of the same ruse. Come on Sonos do the right thing and make these work instead of fooling your followers.

Or you could just use the SonoSequencer app and get exactly what you wish.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
But as others said I don’t know why people would assume you could.
Ps. Work around works for a play:5 gen 1 paired with play:5 gen 2. Not again that makes much sense.
Rightly or wrongly, people would assume they could pair them because they look almost identical, are named almost the same and sound almost the same - if not indistinguishable, to each other.
I agree pairing completely different speakers is wrong - but I don't extend that 'logic' to these two speakers. However different they may be internally, the key in any speaker pairing is how they sound. To say it's wrong or question why anyone would want to do it, or why Sonos would even allow it - and then say they sound exactly the same and that the sound signature is irrelevant misses the point of the request somewhat..

Honestly, if I now had a single play:1 I would go for another play:1 to create a stereo-pair. As the sound is exactly the same the only difference here is Alexa. For me, voice control isn't something I would pay for, but thats just me. Also, the play:1 is very cheap now (well...kind of cheap). There are other methods to create a play:1 stereo pair and still have voice control.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
But as others said I don’t know why people would assume you could.
Ps. Work around works for a play:5 gen 1 paired with play:5 gen 2. Not again that makes much sense.
Rightly or wrongly, people would assume they could pair them because they look almost identical, are named almost the same and sound almost the same - if not indistinguishable, to each other.
I agree pairing completely different speakers is wrong - but I don't extend that 'logic' to these two speakers. However different they may be internally, the key in any speaker pairing is how they sound. To say it's wrong or question why anyone would want to do it, or why Sonos would even allow it - and then say they sound exactly the same and that the sound signature is irrelevant misses the point of the request somewhat..
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I haven’t tested one vs the other. But as stated. Internally and by name they are two different speakers. They even lookk different on exterior which should be my biggest issue stereo pairing them. (They actually match the play:1 TONE model)

If you want to though there is workaround. But as others said I don’t know why people would assume you could.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15
There's so many mistakes there I shan't bother.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
[/quote]So you have heard both and think the sound signature is too different to allow pairing? Could differentiate in a blind test too? Personally, I doubt it - especially if they could have Trueplay run too.[/quote]
I've heard both and I cannot differentiate in a blind test. Some people say they do, but I can't hear it. To me, they sound exactly the same. The sound signature is irelevant though. Except for the power cord and the base there is not one component of the Play:1 that also exists in the Play One. They are technically completely different speakers. I have no means to check that, but I can believe it as the play:1 is half a decade older than the play one. It would be silly to create a dependancy between a brand new speaker and a much older speaker even if they do sound the same. People or blinded by the fact those 2 speakers look the same. If the play one looked like a play:3 no one would have tried to pair it with a play:1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Jezus Christ, all those people wanting to pair two different speakers. Would their be any serious speaker vendor allowing you to do such a thing ? As Chris stated about every half an hour the past weeks there is Sonoseqencr to do that. So there is a working solution. That being said, I would never want to pair a Play One and a Play:1. Sonos will never allow you to pair different speakers. Not now, not in the future. Funny thing, on the Bose forum people are also complaining about stereo pairing (which only exists on a Soundtouch 10 I think), and stating they will step over to Sonos. On a Sonos you can stereo pair anything that makes sense.So you have heard both and think the sound signature is too different to allow pairing? Could differentiate in a blind test too? Personally, I doubt it - especially if they could have Trueplay run too.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
Jezus Christ, all those people wanting to pair two different speakers. Would their be any serious speaker vendor allowing you to do such a thing ? As Chris stated about every half an hour the past weeks there is Sonoseqencr to do that. So there is a working solution. That being said, I would never want to pair a Play One and a Play:1. Sonos will never allow you to pair different speakers. Not now, not in the future. Funny thing, on the Bose forum people are also complaining about stereo pairing (which only exists on a Soundtouch 10 I think), and stating they will step over to Sonos. On a Sonos you can stereo pair anything that makes sense.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I also found out how to pair them as mixed pair in 5.1 with playbar if anyone needs to know.
Thank you Chris. You are a patient man, let me tell you.

I’m going to give this a try, I’m sure it will work. Many thanks for your support and your research.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They are 2 different speakers - but you can permanently pair them with Sonoseqencr (end of issue).