Pairing a Play:1 with the new Sonos One

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

391 replies

Chris - are you saying that I can make a stereo pair of an original Play1 and a new 1 (with Alexa)? The queries and responses here are saying not. I see now that it’s still possible to purchase original play1s - so am unsure what you mean about an additional cost (as it’s less expensive). I have an Alexa speaker elsewhere in my home and would like, ideally, to be able to play same tracks/radio station, as same time, through a Sonos stereo system in one room and the Alexa in the next room.

Use the 3rd party app called SonoSequencr. Sonos will not do it natively because it considers them different units, but SonoSequencr gets around that rule.
Buy a Play 1 for $226 on special at JB HIFI and an Echo Dot from Amazon on line also on special for $52
Chris - are you saying that I can make a stereo pair of an original Play1 and a new 1 (with Alexa)? The queries and responses here are saying not. I see now that it’s still possible to purchase original play1s - so am unsure what you mean about an additional cost (as it’s less expensive). I have an Alexa speaker elsewhere in my home and would like, ideally, to be able to play same tracks/radio station, as same time, through a Sonos stereo system in one room and the Alexa in the next room.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The original 1 has Alexa ... what were you expecting it to do otherwise.

Sonos still expands speaker by speaker just as it always has. If your beef is you want to pair a Play:1 with a Sonos One as a stereo pair .... then pay the extra $2 and do it.

Its hard to have sympathy here - - it is a NON ISSUE.

The Play:1 and Sonos One will stereo pair. Heck a Play:5 and a Play:3 will then pair for that matter. You just have to use a 3rd party app to make the connection (just once and done). There is not a problem here. It probably takes the exact same amount of time to do it with Sonosequencr as it would if you could actually do it in the native app.
This is all so disappointing - when I bought my original 1 I had a long convo on the purchase support site about it being possible to control with Alexa and was told this was definitely coming. Also spoke about getting a second 1 later to create a stereo in the room - told this would always be possible. Now, I’m ‘ready’ to do the stereo (having been REALLYdisappointed by the Alexa being within rather than just ‘linked’, I now find the very thing I liked about the Sonos system - add at any time, easily expandable one device at a time - is not possible. Not good enough Sony.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Again - for those who wish to pair a Play:1 with a Sonos One for stereo or surrounds - SonoSequencr will do it.

SonoSequencr, SonoSequencr, SonoSequencr. Say it with me now: Sono . . . Sequencr!

It's even got its own link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sonosequencr/id967043604?mt=8

^^^^There it is!! SonoSequencr!!^^^^

Can I only use Sonosequencr once for paired my player 1 and one. Subsequently I will be able to use the Sonos app to play my music in stereo? Or do I have to go through the SonoSequenc applications thereafter to make my music play?

If this is the first case, I do not understand the problem XD

you only need to use it once to make the pair. after that the pair will 'stick' unless you unpair them again via the sonos app (or using sonosequenr) !
Again - for those who wish to pair a Play:1 with a Sonos One for stereo or surrounds - SonoSequencr will do it.

SonoSequencr, SonoSequencr, SonoSequencr. Say it with me now: Sono . . . Sequencr!

Can I only use Sonosequencr once for paired my player 1 and one. Subsequently I will be able to use the Sonos app to play my music in stereo? Or do I have to go through the SonoSequenc applications thereafter to make my music play?

If this is the first case, I do not understand the problem XD
Userlevel 2
Badge +2

SonoSequencr, SonoSequencr, SonoSequencr !!
And then you can pair a Play:1 and a Sonos One ?! Really ?! Why did no one mention this before ? 🙂
Agreed, and that's what I did with Trueplay. I just wondered if that was one of the reasons people were so stubbornly ignoring the solution that's right in front of them.

In the years I've been here, I have found there is a significant portion of users who are far more prone to complaining about a problem than they are to solving a problem. Case in point, the person who complained about Sonos promising to deliver Spotify for Alexa "by" a certain date instead of "on" a certain date, as if delivering it early (which it was) is a bad thing.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
No I think it’s just stubbornness.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Agreed, and that's what I did with Trueplay. I just wondered if that was one of the reasons people were so stubbornly ignoring the solution that's right in front of them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
85% of users may not individually have an iOS device they use on daily basis. But those 85% probably all have easy access to one to do the one time setup.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They don’t even look alike. The Sonos One looks like the more limited release play:1 Tone. I wouldn’t stereo pair for the astetics alone (although I do have a tone)
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I don’t reasonably expect to completely differently named speakers with different internals to pair. Sonos has stated they are different speakers and don’t recommend pairing. Sonosequencr makes it possible to do it anyhow. End of story.
So the real complaint here is not that you can't do it, it's that you can't do it through Sonos? Sorry, but I find that quite daft, not to mention self-defeating. Sonos has a policy that you cannot pair unlike models. The Play:1 and One are unlike models, for despite some cosmetic similarities, they share very little parts between them and are different sonically. Another app allows you to circumvent this policy, and Sonos lets them do it. So what exactly is the problem?

And if it is the money, PM me your Paypal info, I'll give you the 2 bucks. :8
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Also, for those who keep pushing Sonosequencer, remember that 85% of smartphone users don't use iOS and therefore can't use Sonosequencer. Not an issue for me with my setup, but just a thought ....
Hi Chris, Thanks for your input. Im aware of the sonosequencr, simply didn't really expect to have to use another 3rd party app other than the Sonos app for this to be supported. Sonos isn't exactly cheap and ive invested an awful lot into my system. Given how Sonos works and how its ease of use is marketed,I simply expected the new Play ONE to fit into my current setup however I wanted it to and given the extent of this thread it would appear that a lot of people felt the same. Never expected this to be an issue in first place from a product like SONOS.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
another person not reading thread and not fixing. Use sonosequencr and troubles over. Or just complain to complain.
Also really disappointed with this. Just purchased 2 Sonos ONE’s to take advantage of the Alexa feature in separate areas of my home. One would be in the lounge as part of my existing surround setup and the other upstairs. Really frustrated that I’ve spent the money and can’t use ONe in surround setup with my existing play:1. Who would possible have use for two Alexa’s in one room? Makes no sense to me. With regards to appearance my setup is somewhat concealed so weather one looks marginally different to the other makes no difference to me. It’s primarily about their functionality and this flaw is a real let down. Can’t see me purchasing another until this has been put right.

Also really disappointed with this. Just purchased 2 Sonos ONE’s to take advantage of the Alexa feature in separate areas of my home. One would be in the lounge as part of my existing surround setup and the other upstairs. Really frustrated that I’ve spent the money and can’t use ONe in surround setup with my existing play:1. Who would possible have use for two Alexa’s in one room? Makes no sense to me. With regards to appearance my setup is somewhat concealed so weather one looks marginally different to the other makes no difference to me. It’s primarily about their functionality and this flaw is a real let down. Can’t see me purchasing another until this has been put right.
Userlevel 6
Badge +9
Does it make that much of a difference if you stereo pair left and right as oppose to just using two play 1s in one room grouped together?

Yes, it makes a big difference.
Does it make that much of a difference if you stereo pair left and right as oppose to just using two play 1s in one room grouped together?

Yes. A stereo pair will play the left and right stereo channel separately, giving a stereo effect. Grouped speakers play both channels in each speaker, with no stereo effect.

All,

I think the products are similar enough and as they designed bout, Sonos could balance it out so they work optimally. Let's remember is streamed non-HD audio.

Now with that being said. I have my Sonos equipment for five-plus years, I think they need to drive us older users to new products along with new users. Our system our cloud dependant so there are expenses to that and since there is no subscription fee, the longer we keep our old device the more money they potential lose. I have no idea of their spends but I feel that has to be the number one driver for why new devices take so long to come out and also why things as simple of pairing the Sonos one and Play one do not work. I am pissed that I have to get two Dots instead of a getting to Sonos One's to pair with my existing play one.

Now Sonos if you really wanted to make me happy make a MIC device that we could plug into the USB port in the back. I would love you forever for that.

Also, do not flag my account I love my Sonos equipment.

D