New Product showing on FCC - S15

• 28 April 2017
  • 84 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
New listing on FCC today for Sonos product 'S15'

Label is totally square so could be a new connect type device ?

Let the speculation begin !

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

84 replies

Badge +20
Sonos "Alexa" or microphone for Trueplay.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Interesting that it's only 2.4 GHz... So whatever it is, it doesn't look like it's designed to work as part of a 5.1 system, since those devices are the ones that are dual-band.

And it looks like Monday 8/28, since confidentiality is requested through 8/27...
It is probably the long awaited Play 7. It will be a 7 foot floor standing electrostatic speaker to fill in the high end of the product line. Electrostatics are a good match for Sonos because they struggle at the low end which makes them the perfect complement to the Sonos Sub. Unfortunately no line-in or headphone jacks but will have a port to plug in a separate microphone array for use in voice control as an alternative to using an Echo Dot.
So, voice control coming on Sept 1st?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
The label suggests that its mains voltage powered. I would imagine a smaller unit such as a Sonos equivalent to Amazon echo dot or external trueplay device would be small enough to go for a wall wart instead. On the other hand it also doesnt have high power usage like a speaker or amp (only 100ma). Maybe a new connect then but why no 5 ghz ?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Maybe a new connect then but why no 5 ghz ?
5 GHz is only used by Sonos devices that are in a surround sound environment. If it won't be part of a surround sound system then it doesn't need 5 GHz wireless.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
What do you mean by Alexa control with no Alexa hardware? Do you mean Amazon hardware?Yes I mean Amazon hardware. As jgatie says, if you already have Alexa hardware you will be good to go when it is finally rolled out.
Sonos could be looking at this as a way of adding Alexa functionality to existing Sonos but non-Alexa households - and could be a Sonos/Amazon collaborative effort. As I say though it's not easy because I think it has to be at most the price of a Dot - otherwise why get one?
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
Yes, I said so above. People have asked for a microphone before and such a device could kill two birds with one stone..
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I think this could be the best of both worlds....Sonos adding Mics to all new speakers released after a certain Date so that you don't need to have a amazon echo or dot in them rooms for it to work and for our older Sonos speakers all we need to do is just place a echo or Dot in them rooms for it to work...and it could work like said before for the true play side of things with the release of new speakers as well.

100mA sounds like a battery charger... for a very small battery.

My HDMI multiswitch doesn't require much more...🆒
My guess. It's the replacement for the Connect. It will be priced at $99. It will have a combined 3.5mm optical/analog output, like the CCA. It will also have a far-field microphone. Maybe an analog input, but not necessarily, given Sonos emphasis on streaming.

Possibly Chromecast support, to instantly integrate Google Home.

No idea what the S stands for. Source? Streamer? Spot? (Play on Dot).

I notice from the label that it draws 5W directly from the wall socket, so no external power brick. Good.

I'm probably completely wrong, but we'll see tomorrow.
Just looked at the label on my Connect. 100ma from AC line, 5W. This is a Connect replacement, hopefully with the additional features I mentioned above.
It is probably the long awaited Play 7. It will be a 7 foot floor standing electrostatic speaker to fill in the high end of the product line. Electrostatics are a good match for Sonos because they struggle at the low end which makes them the perfect complement to the Sonos Sub. Unfortunately no line-in or headphone jacks but will have a port to plug in a separate microphone array for use in voice control as an alternative to using an Echo Dot.

😃. Unfortunately, 5W of power input ain't quite gonna do it. My QUAD ESL-63s have a recommended amplifier power of 50-100W. My Connect:Amp drives them nicely. ESLs are also notoriously difficult to integrate with subwoofers. Only a couple of attempts were made to integrate one with the QUADs, never very successfully. Psychoacoustics genius, NHT founder and MIT graduate Ken Kantor shared some ideas on the subject a couple years back, but it would be a limited product, at best.

They use special Palladium Fluoride capacitors to make them super efficient and near sound field feedback loop alignment circuits to manage the Sub integration.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Just looked at the label on my Connect. 100ma from AC line, 5W. This is a Connect replacement, hopefully with the additional features I mentioned above.
Give this man a prize...

Image two shows the back... looks identical to the current Connect. So the question is... WHAT DID THEY CHANGE?!

BTW, that site doesn't have the document links yet... you have to click the link to view the documents from the FCC, then go to the details.
WHAT DID THEY CHANGE?!

Maybe it's finally bit-perfect again?
Just kidding. I suppose it's all about reduced production costs.
Badge +20
It would be sensible for Sonos to make a Play 1 with Mic, but keeping the existing style / format but with a new top / control panel. You would not want or need to pay a premium for two voice enabled speakers configured as a pair or as surrounds. The "new" FCC listing shows the current consumption as 1A, the same as the existing Play 1.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
https://fccid.io/SBVRM013
100mA?
Badge +20
No idea of numbers but as reported on the Forum(s) over the years quite a few of the Bridge PSU have given up the ghost so perhaps that was a deciding factor in making it mains powered?
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
https://fccid.io/SBVRM013
"802.11 b/g/n, 3x3, HT20 device"
The 3X3 looks suspiciously close to the 3" Echo Dot. More like Play 1 / Apple TV

"Updated Directional Gain and Output Power Section"
Looks like a microphone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
In this case, 3x3 isn't size... it's the fact that it can handle 3 RF transmissions in each direction at once (aka MIMO, multiple in, multiple out). Same for "Directional gain and output power"... it's using multiple antennas to send a higher power RF signal in a particular direction.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
could it be an outdoor/battery speaker where 5ghz is not needed as wouldnt be part of a surround setup ?
Userlevel 3
Badge +2
Looks like it could be for my Turntable so i can free up my Sonos CONNECT and put it to better use 🙂
My bet is that it has to do with Alexa integration.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
My bet is that it has to do with Alexa integration.

how can that be ? Alexa integration is between an amazon echo device and existing sonos devices (as already announced) so what would an additional device bring ? I doubt sonos could knock out an internet enabled voice activated microphone array for less than an echo dot so why would anyone buy it ?