Important policy of technical service of Sonos

Badge
It would be interesting to inform you of the policy they use if your equipment is damaged: if it is within two years of warranty they will change it for the existing model at that time. If it is within two and three years the existing model will put it at 50% of the new cost, but as they get the new model with "improvements" and the price much higher, ie if you want to continue listening to a Sonos You have to spend like one you bought 2 and a half years ago. I'VE BEEN INFORMED THAT THE STRUCTURED APPLIANCES DO NOT FIX. Well, a very dodgy policy because if I have noticed that the programmed obsolescence is prevalent in Sonos. I was spoiled when I turned 2 years and a couple of months a Play 5

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

43 replies

Like you I'm not speaking English like a native speaker, because it isn't my native tongue; strictly speaking, German isn't either. So, if I start writing in Serbian now, we'll be speaking perfectly Babylonian. 😃
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
[...] If you are to be charged 50% between two and three years for a replacement, that would indicate a four to six years expected life span of the product by Sonos. Which looks like that could be an interesting discussion in court (in the UK)
Considering, amarcos was offered a Play:5.2 as replacement for a 2.5 years old Play:5.1, I highly doubt it.

Irrelevant for my comment. I am referring to law and not what Sonos have offered as a replacement at 50% cost. The point you miss is that to justify a 50% charge (in UK law) then that reflects a charge for the use you have had of the original item. That suggests the expected life span. If taken to court over the 50% charge, then Sonos would have to tell the court what they expect the life span to be to justify the 50% charge. Maybe not such a good PR decision. Or maybe a good one as court proceedings can be quoted ad infinitum. Then again, the court may decide that it should last a minimum of six years (the maximum under UK law)

Spain will have its own consumer law. Unfortunately, in the US all you get is a one year warranty and that's your lot as the US has very little consumer law compared with Europe.

My opinion is that 50% is way too high.
OP, please don't speak on behalf of all Europeans as most of us over here are pretty comfortable with Sonos' terms and agreements.

Furthermore, the mere fact that Spain requires dedicated repairs to an out-of-guarantee product rather than simply switch the entire unit for a reduced price shows a certain mentality and, frankly, could be one of the many reasons why Spain is more or less broke.

Greetings from Germany.
Sigh.
My unit I bought it in January of 2017 made 2 years, it is of first generation and I am offered play 5 of 2nd generation paying almost 300 euros. It's a bit of humor, is not it? It is to sell last generation product at the cost of what comes out in bad condition of the first generation.
No, it isn't, because the price of a new one is € 579,--, in Spain as well as in Austria (where I live). Taking the 2.5 years old Play:5 into account the charge for the replacement amounts to 70%-75% off standard price. Aside from that, my Connect went bad two years ago and was replaced at a fee of € 115, -- (Original price
€ 399,--). I am happy and grateful for that.
Badge
@amarcos: Usted está enviando spam ahora. No se comporte como un niño.

Who is sending spam?
You are not a user. True?
Writing only in Spanish on an English-speaking forum is equal to spamming.

False. I am not with Sonos.
Badge
No, it's not spamming, expressing yourself in Spanish. Expressing myself in Spanish in a thread opened by me, means that whoever understands me can answer, who does not, who does not respond.
He said earlier that he expressed me better in Spanish.
Who is you To force, in a thread opened by me how should I explain? If you do not like or read or answer

Esto es por si no me he expresado correctamente en ingles ahora lo pongo en español:

No, no es hacer spam, expresarse en español. Expresarme en español en un hilo abierto por mi, significa que quien me entienda puede responder, quien no, que no responda.
Él dijo anteriormente que me expresaba mejor en español.
Quien es ud Para obligar, en un hilo abierto por mi como debo de explicar? Si no le gusta ni lea ni conteste
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
In the UK there is consumer law - which very generally allows six years from date of purchase (there are a LOT of caveats attached to this)

In Spain you will have two years minimum (according to an EU directive). What consumer protection is afforded in Spain? Have you looked at the law? Do you know what your rights are under the law?

If you are to be charged 50% between two and three years for a replacement, that would indicate a four to six years expected life span of the product by Sonos. Which looks like that could be an interesting discussion in court (in the UK)
[...] If you are to be charged 50% between two and three years for a replacement, that would indicate a four to six years expected life span of the product by Sonos. Which looks like that could be an interesting discussion in court (in the UK)
Considering, amarcos was offered a Play:5.2 as replacement for a 2.5 years old Play:5.1, I highly doubt it.
Did you actually read through the entire topic? Unfortunatly, electronics are sometimes prone to failure.
By the way - good for you if you've got the money to spend on a counsellor in a lawsuit, who'll charge, at the minimum, ten times as much.
EU consumer protection sounds very nice but companies will of course have to charge more for the item initially to cover the cost of repairing units past the normal warranty. I suspect a Sonos player is more expensive in Europe than in the US?
EU consumer protection sounds very nice but companies will of course have to charge more for the item initially to cover the cost of repairing units past the normal warranty. I suspect a Sonos player is more expensive in Europe than in the US?

Actually, they were less expensive for years due to exchange rate. It is only recently the UK pricing is more in line with the US, causing a long thread's worth of uproar here.
Given its size, I also expect Sonos to have taken sound legal advice in connection with doing business in countries where it has an official presence. Plus the knowledge of existing market practice for similar products cannot have been ignored in formulating policies.
Badge
I consider it an abusive policy and it should be exposed when it comes to selling the products.
In Spain it is illegal not to fix a product put on the market.
Shameful for Sonos and his politics.
I have been ruined Play 5 with 2 years and 6 months.
BAD PRODUCT !!!
amarcos,

Perhaps it's different in Spain, but most consumer electronics in the US come with a 1 year warranty. Technically, that is what Sonos provides according to the legal documentation on this website. (If the warranty is longer, it's usually because the consumer paid for an extended warranty, or the product has a history of failure and a longer warranty is needed to regain consumer confidence.) However, it seems that Sonos will often go beyond what is legally required in most cases. I'm not going to pretend that I research warranties in my spare time, but that seems to be rather rare.

It absolutely sucks when a product dies after being out of warranty, but that's the way it goes. It's reasonable for a consumer to not want to re-buy the product after such event, but I don't think you can fault a company for not providing a better standard warranty, or assume that there is a high rate of product failure based off your single experience.
In my unhumble opinion offering a refurbished replacement unit at a 75%ish reduced rate (not 50%) is a very generous policy. By the way, my two stereo-paired Play:5s have been playing fine since 2013.

Whatever. 'Fixing' a product is not free of charge either, you know?
Badge
It seems that you are very interested in the image of Sonos. I have not since they make you any discount percentage ... To me yes I have been told that 50% discount.
Why do I have to spend a certain amount if my equipment breaks down? I am encountering scheduled obsolescence and this is what gives the whole appearance. Today I pay 50% for a product that I do not have to pay, tomorrow they bring to market another product and mine is spoiled again, so I sell another product again. Stupid policy against consumers.
What do you think there policy should be? What product has a better policy than sonos? Should they hold off releasing new products so that the product you got 2 years ago is the latest and greatest?

Actually, sonos products seem to stay relevant longer than most. If a firmware upgrade can be done on an old product they will do it. They also seem to be resistant to add new features if it can't be done on the older units as well. Do you have the same frustration with mobile phones? Last years model is always out of date.
[...] Why do I have to spend a certain amount if my equipment breaks down?
So in Spain a repair service is offered for free if consumer electronics get broken out of warranty? Do you people happily live off thin air? 😃
It seems that you are very interested in the image of Sonos. I have not since they make you any discount percentage ... To me yes I have been told that 50% discount.
Why do I have to spend a certain amount if my equipment breaks down? I am encountering scheduled obsolescence and this is what gives the whole appearance. Today I pay 50% for a product that I do not have to pay, tomorrow they bring to market another product and mine is spoiled again, so I sell another product again. Stupid policy against consumers.

To the bolded, what exactly makes your product "spoiled" when Sonos brings to market a new product? Sonos units from 10+ years ago are still compatible and fully functional with Sonos units sold today.

As to Sonos not "fixing" units, the electronics industry long ago stopped "fixing" things in favor of swapping them out for a refurbished unit, then in turn refurbishing the swapped unit to give to someone else. This gives you significantly less down time, because your faulty unit is replaced immediately. Unless you prefer being charged for repairs and also losing access to the unit for the days/weeks it takes to repair them?

Also, can you name another company that will offer a replacement for 50% of the original cost when the unit is out of warranty by a year and a half? Methinks you protest too much.
Badge
No, in Spain you do not live off the air, you know very little about Spain. In Spain the consumer is respected and is not treated like a jerk
Badge
It seems silly to me what he is saying. He says that they change it immediately instead of losing a few days in the arrangement, I've been trying for a few days to get a solution that is not the absurd policy against nature, needing more resources for manufacturing, nor the words that you. Is using me Why do you say 75% and now say it is 50% normal? I think that the lack of normality of this question on the part of Sonos and you. As interested, you have no consistent answer left.
[...] Why do you say 75% and now say it is 50% normal? I think that the lack of normality of this question on the part of Sonos and you. As interested, you have no consistent answer left.
At what charge the replacement Play:5 has been offered to you? Is your old one a first or second generation unit?
Badge
My unit I bought it in January of 2017 made 2 years, it is of first generation and I am offered play 5 of 2nd generation paying almost 300 euros. It's a bit of humor, is not it? It is to sell last generation product at the cost of what comes out in bad condition of the first generation.