Feature Request: Group rooms with alarm

• 8 January 2015
  • 62 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

62 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Me too! My dog likes to listen to Radio 4 (he's a very discerning listener) in the kitchen where he sleeps at night. However, along with the rest of the household he does like to wake up to Chris Evans Radio 2 show but this isn't possible at the moment without manual intervention in the morning. Current choice is to set a separate alarm for him which would put his speaker out of sync with the other two that are grouped. Not the end of the world but would be great to set groups for alarms. Quality, ill have to try this for my dog 😃
C’mon Sonos, let us check more than one single room in alarms.
Userlevel 1
sonos please implement this!!! geouped alarms!
Badge
An alarm action to join and existing playing unit or group would also be good.
Badge
+1 from me too. Much better alarm configuration would be really welcome.
Every time there’s an update to the SONOS App I check in hopeful anticipation that this has been fixed..... but.... alas, no, the radio station I have set as my morning alarm is out of sync across three rooms and I have to manually group the rooms in order to not hear 3 different broadcasts. Very frustrating and as people have said before, surely an easy fix.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
It sepems strange to me, in many years the only upgrade to alarm functionality is snooze with version 8.2.
With this timeline we will have a new improvement for alarm in 2020 or so.

I am still waiting for improvements in volume granularity and fade in out times for sleep and wake up.
Badge +1
phil,
I know this does not help much but I did get it working once . Eg alarm playing on two speakers (not part of a stereo pair). However it was a few sonos patches ago and never got it working since . I had assumed it was a just a bug in the Patch that stopped it working but still not possible now .
Userlevel 1
It would be great to see alarms play on pre-grouped rooms, but not using the "Include in grouped rooms" setting as I am likely to change grouping throughout the day, and so when the alarm goes off it doesn't work for me, that it plays on the my previous days groups.

It is also not ideal to set several alarms playing the same source (in my case TuneIn radio), as it is massively out of sync.

I think this would be a huge benefit as did your engineer when I spoke to them earlier.

Thanks.

AS A SONOS FAN I CANT UNDERSTAND WHY THIS FEATURE IS MISSING. why?

- it is a pain EVERY DAY!!!!!!!!!! this creates bad memories - with a stunnung product
- it seems to be just a little software detail.
Agree. I really want this feature. Hate it when you can vaguely hear downstairs playing the same radio station but 1-2 secs out of sync. Must be an easy fix to set a group alarm. The request is an old one so why so slow to sort it out? Got my alexa version today which is great.
Just to add to this growing thread: the ability to set an alarm to activate different speakers in different rooms at the same time (and importantly to ensure everything remains in sync) would be excellent!

Like others, I’ve spent ages trawling through posts/internet and the Sonos app screens to try to find a solution but no joy. It definitely needs a bit of Sonos development to fix but I’m not sure why this hasn’t ever been done before... can someone from sonos dev team just explain why it’s so difficult to achieve? Obviously other stuff is still taking priority in the roadmap and if you can provide a short explanation as to why it’s not available today - just to help us understand the challenges! - it would really help ease people’s frustration.

For me anyway, I’d love to see this feature available soon!

Thanks!
Sad to see there's been no fix / feature added for version 8.0 released the other day
Sonos Devs

Your grouping is broken. Like I suggested in a post a long time ago, group should have user chosen names and be persistent.
Playing on one set of speakers or one group or sending the alarm to a set of speakers or to a group should be seamless

Thanks
Dear Sonos,

Please allow for an alarm to be able to set a pre-defined group of speakers. It seems very lacking for a premium multi-room synchronised audio experience with alarm feature, to not be able to synchronise music from an 'alarm'.

People have evolved from "look OMG there is a product called Sonos which can synchronise audio between rooms!", to "lots of products on the market for multi-room audio, which one lends itself to seamless automation functionality without copious layers of add-ons and 3rd party scripts and hacks?"

Thanks,
From your next 'Gen 2' customers and loyal 'Gen 1' customer base
+1 As said by soooo many setting with grouped Alarms doesn't work unless you re group constantly. I want an alarm to come on in the bedroom and when I get up (leaving my wife listening) I want to walk around the house listening to the same IN SYNCH music/station/stream. and that shouldn't be dependent on listening in the same way just before I go to bed!
Userlevel 4
Badge +4
+1 for this... Can't believe I am unable to do this, such a basic thing surly?
+1 on adding the group room alarm feature. Not sure why Sonos overlooked it, whether technically difficult or low in their priority list. If the latter, well sounds like quite a few of their customer rather disappointed about lack of action! If the former, it doesn't inspire confidence when a company can't address a change that many users require, and provide no justification.
Come on Sonos, make it right....any work around now pretty rubbish and defies the Sonos otherwise good system.
Thanks
Hopefully the Apple Homepods will push Sonos to add this feature. So dumb how they can't add this
Userlevel 2
Badge
Do you know for how long people already ask for it ? There has been iT time enough Meanwhile:-) We should all keep on knocking at the door untill it opens
"The next update"? :D

Someone needs a lesson in software development cycles.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Groups change !
Alarms in fix grouped rooms are needed !
Please Sonos, this should not be to hard to put in the next update.
Or create named groups that could be used in alarms or add the technical functionality to an alarm that first the group is formed and then the music is started please.
Lots of people would love this.
Given that groups change, the actual 'solution' is worthless (to much manual action required, comfort would be much higher if automated).
It's something that I need and I don't understand why it's not already present. I would like to be able chose the alarm group without be worried by the last group that I made. In my opinion also the current function could remain available. Please Sonos add the possibility to make the group in the alarm settings.
Agree with comments..... Would also like to be able to pick specific zones for a variety of alarms.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Me too! My dog likes to listen to Radio 4 (he's a very discerning listener) in the kitchen where he sleeps at night. However, along with the rest of the household he does like to wake up to Chris Evans Radio 2 show but this isn't possible at the moment without manual intervention in the morning. Current choice is to set a separate alarm for him which would put his speaker out of sync with the other two that are grouped. Not the end of the world but would be great to set groups for alarms.
Not added a post here before but was recommended to do so by tech support who I have to say were very helpful. Most of the time I play all my zones grouped. However, I have just started using a Play one in the bedroom as a morning alarm, which is fine apart from the fact that once the alarm has done its job, the bedroom is now ungrouped from the rest of the zones. I don't want to group the alarm and have the whole house waking up so that is not an option. I know its relatively trivial and honestly pretty easy to regroup the bedroom back in, but its an irritation. I would think it an easy update so that once the alarm has functioned, the zone does goes back to its last setting, in my situation that being grouped with the rest of the zones.