End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge

Since I can’t reply to myself on the old thread now…

All this got me onto Google… and I find that Yamaha have a “whole house” solution, and a wide range of products, many of which fill gaps I felt I had with my Sonos gear. It all gets about equal reviews to the equivalent Sonos gear too.

Locking the old thread has also got me onto shop sites to do reviews of my previous purchases.

This is what, we in the UK call “doing a Ratner” - after a chap called Gerald Ratner literally killed his entire, quite successful, jewelery business over the course of a weekend by making a very ill-advised speech about his own products.

#sonosinthetoilet by the weekend.

Userlevel 2

Dear @sonos,

I just want to inform you that my support to @sonos has reached end of life and you will no longer be supported. However I offer you to buy back all my Sonos hardware with a 35% discount.

You can of cause continue to co-exist as a legacy supplier in the slow lane next to your supported competitors in the fast lane.

#SonosBoycott #Sonosgate #Sonos

Kind regards,

Michael

Userlevel 2

Raising the prices toward the end of last year by 30% and now telling all the legacy owners that they are getting a 30% discount, sounds like a big bag of crap.

Im done with giving Sonos a single dime more,

RIP SONOS

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

Dear Patrick,

I completely agree with all the sentiments expressed above and in the media. This is a move that clearly demonstrates arrogance, hubris, and a complete disregard for the customers who have adopted your products, and for the friends, partners and dealers who have advocated for Sonos as a trusted brand. That trust is gone, and it was your direct action that killed it.

I’ve spent several thousand dollars on Sonos hardware, and I’ve advocated it to countless friends and customers for years, and in one selfish swoop, you’ve damaged an entire trust ecosystem, never mind making us look like chumps.

Business books are filled with stories like this… brands that became great by making a product that the market wanted, then failing spectacularly by believing that they could milk and abuse those customers and they’d still keep coming back. They don’t. You have unlimited chances to build customer trust, and one chance to destroy it.

And please don’t insult the collective intelligence of those who were smart enough to have picked your product in the first place. We understood the product’s value then, and we could afford to pay the premium for it. We know enough to understand that this isn’t about technological limitations, but about greed and stupendous insensitivity to your market - us. This is a music streamer, not an augmented reality gaming processor.

We can only hope that the Sonos board and its investors will hear and understand the reaction to this and respond by reversing course.

You’re hearing the initial fallout now from those who are plugged-in and paying attention. The fallout will continue, and become a much bigger crescendo as the broader public (your market) finds out and becomes as pissed-off as we are. Brands are built on great customer experiences… not this.

Regards,

Andy

THIS ^^^^^   BRAVO!

Userlevel 3

I’m considering setting up a crowd funded legal  challenge to get advice on legality and taking it further. It seems to me equipment in full working order should continue to be software supported. Additionally, if perfectly good new(ish) equipment won’t be supported if plugged into legacy equipment the facts should be clearly stated in the buying information so that customers know clearly what the full facts are. Nothing that I can see says this. 

VW had terrible publicity over their problems, a major crowd funded legal action is ongoing and still continues to damage their reputation. Nothing good can come from this Sonos. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

Let’s try to keep the language clean everyone. I removed a couple posts above that had an inappropriate word in an image.

Good morning Ryan, I for one am encouraged by your message yesterday despite some frustrated days and reading and considering alternatives.

However (and not to add to any already repeated anger) I would repeat my several times posted request (and I think I speak for many folks) that we need a ROADMAP by the end of this week to reassure previously loyal high paying customers.

We had the original email that lit the fire

We saw your best intentions to inform - they were appreciated

We saw your top man’s email to reassure

…..All Good BUT….

Now we need a solid WHAT IS IT and WHAT IT WILL NOT BE message by the end of this week.

That’s a good 7 day period since your CEO’s reassurance message and will put 90% of the fire out.

And I don’t mean a ‘WHAT IT IS CHRISTMAS LIST’ but a reassurance or STATEMENT OF INTENTION as to what precisely Sonos aims to do and by when.

For those of us not intent on burying Sonos and who want to carry on buying and enjoying, this will likely be enough to keep us listening and rational. In love with Sonos? That’s going to take a lot more wine, chocolates and roses … but you get the point.

Please drop this on your management teams desk this morning and defy them to say it’s not a reasonable way forward.

Userlevel 3

Interesting that with all the furore ongoing there’s no hint of crisis management PR getting involved. Leaves the impression that this reaction has been factored in and doesn’t require any additional handling.

Userlevel 6
Badge +3

I hope management at Sonos isn’t so arrogant and short-sighted as to think that just because this forum has died down that everything is super-duper.  

These forums are great, useful, and a microcosm of Sonos customers but by no means representative.  Likely a very small percentage of Sonos users actually know it even exists, let alone use this vehicle.  

Judging from friends, family, resellers, and others I/we’ve communicated with in the last week, this is far from over in terms of the anger, disappointment, lost trust, and general confusion Sonos has generated with their current and recent decisions.  

The old saw that only 1% of the customers you tick-off will bother to complain to the company while 99% will just walk – is only amplified with social media, reseller review sites, and more.   And we have yet to hear from long-lead publications like Wired, Consumer Reports, environmental & audio publications/editorials, and more.   Younger potential target customers are savvy social media users and will likely not pay premium prices for audio gear that has a pull-date. 

Because Sonos’ CEO has gone silent since his correction letter (he nor his staff have responded to any of the emails my friends and family have sent) it only pours salt into the wound.  

As for the PR plants and super-fans who swoop in here whenever they need to defend Sonos no matter how insulting and unemphatic it might be to the consumers impacted by this corporate decision… you know who you are and so do many of us. 

Your turn Mr. Spence. 

Userlevel 2

I too have spent a lot of money on systems for three homes along with systems for my children.   I certainly hope the legal people at Sonos where consulted when this decision was made.  There are alot of hungry lawyers out there who would love a class action suit like this.  “Planned Obsolescence” of a product that costs this much is not acceptable-neither is insulting owners with a cheesy 30% trade up offer.  Well it was a good product while it lasted.  Too bad but this opens the doors for the other competitors.  I bet Bose is licking their chops!!

Good Luck   

Userlevel 2

This is my first post, from someone who usually stays away from online forums, but I am so disappointed I need to vent.

I have been building my Sonos system for around 8 years, a new speaker every year or two (oldest Play:5, newest Move). We would rave about this to friends and family. For Sonos, this was perfect - on ongoing cash stream for ever, with word of mouth advertising thrown in.

What was great about it: centrally controllable sound all over the house. Sure the newer items feel nicer, but fancy features do not matter a jot.

In one swoop, this model has been destroyed and everyone is a loser. My system will be broken up into separate networks, which defeats the USP. It is anathema to me to send perfectly good kit to be recycled/landfill for expensive and unnecessary upgrade. If I buy a new piece of equipment it now adds to my problem rather than helps solve it.

Unless money and environmental concern are absolutely no object surely new equipment is now uninvestible.

What do I want? A cast-iron commitment to be able to continue with the functionality I currently have for my old units and latest functionality new units, all controlled/grouped from a single interface. Until Sonos convince me of above - and that they do not intend to snatch it away again - their offering has become toxic. 

Userlevel 2

I never write on forums.  I rarely read forums.  But this move by Sonos has sorely disappointed me.  Just a couple months ago I advised my parents to set up their whole house with Sonos because I’ve loved it.  And now I’m working with them to see if they can return their products.  If you expect your products to only be useful for such a short time, you should be transparent about this up front when people spend thousands of dollars, and you should charge a lot less for this “disposable” product.  Maybe make it out of cardboard so it can decompose since it will be entering the landfill after only a short time of use.  And to only offer 30% off is a disgrace.  Stores have better sales for national holidays, and they’re not trying to keep brand loyalty.  

Your follow-up email just added insult to injury.  You admitted you were wrong and then just re-iterated what you already said...the products won’t be updated and you’re still only offering 30% back.  An apology doesn’t simply re-state your action in a different way; you do something to FIX it.  

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Here is what I sent to the CEO at Sonos. I expect he won’t have time to read it, never mind answer it, but I’m hoping it’s because he’s on the case pushing for clarity and a solution that will satisfy most of us.

Hi Patrick,

This is the first email I have ever sent to a CEO to complain about their product or service. I’m writing this on my iPad Pro, which I understood will likely last 5 years of full use & then as a basic tool for a function or two. My expectations were set. 

In contrast with my Sonos system, I bought a 11 unit system over several years, including a complete 5.1 Sonos system. 6 of which will become legacy in May. The brand has built up a very loyal following due to the longevity of support & updates. Only the CR100 & iPhone dock have been removed during Sonos’s 18 year history. Those decisions were completely understandable. Sonos is viewed as the equivalent Apple in the sound streaming world. Like many of your loyal customers, we have recommended Sonos to our friends & family. Inevitably, they succumb and buy lots of units and so this repeats thousands of times. You can’t buy that.

However, after your announcement a few days ago, my view of Sonos has been changed, possibly forever. Here are my concerns.

1. Even after the 30% discount, I estimate an additional cost of approaching £2000! That’s a cost I’m not prepared to take on, especially as I don’t know when the rest of my system will become legacy. Then another £2000? So, I will be on a cycle of spending possibly £2000 every 5 years just to listen to music, radio and for a 5.1 experience. 

2. Sonos is regarded as a premium brand which attracts a premium price. With the many competitors in the market and this wake up call of having to refresh several devices every 5 to 10 years, I’d rather buy a cheaper device to reduce the costs of updating.

3. The confusion and countless unanswered questions is incredible and shows how unprepared the organisation were for such an uproar from loyal customers. Your excellent reputation for support has been greatly damaged. 

4. It’s not beyond the ability of Sonos R&D to find a solution to allow legacy products to work with the newer devices. Naturally, as newer services are released, the legacy won’t be able to use them. But as stated earlier, most customers use the system for streaming music, listening to radio or stream local MP3s etc. Maybe Sonos can sell a box that acts as an interface between the 2 systems to simply stream music, radio & other basic services. I would buy that!

5. Apple have released updates that older devices will install what is designated as applicable for that device and those that aren’t, are not installed. Yet, on the newer devices, they get the full update.

6. We as customers understand that Sonos has to answer to shareholders and to explain how they will grow the business. Your competitors are growing their portfolio quicker and cheaper. I’m assuming that the cost of support for legacy systems is prohibitive. Yet, the negative response from your customers is probably going to do more damage than you imagine. Look on Amazon, social media, your forums. Read them all and you will understand the risk you are taking on, if Sonos do not provide a solution that solves some of these issues. We want basic services to continue on legacy devices and a box or other solution to allow that to be shared across both systems. We don’t need the latest and greatest on the legacy side.

7. You must inform all your resellers and yourselves to make a clear note on Sonos soon to be legacy devices, that they should buy the newer devices or at least warn them of the restrictions. I haven’t seen that. Why not? 

8. The next week and month will be crucial for Sonos and your communication must be clear and to the point. Nobody but the very few customers are going to buy or upgrade their Sonos system until there is clarity. That will be a big hit to your bottom line.

I sincerely wish you the best and hope this lapse in strategy won’t result in any further damage. The ball is in your court and all of your customers are anxiously waiting for the next step. I truly believe the future of the company is at a crossroads here and I hope you choose the right path for your current & future customers.

Have a good weekend.

Best Regards,

M

PS. Please do not refer me to your statement that you made yesterday. It’s not enough.

Userlevel 2

I admit that I was upset at the first announcement even though I only have a few legacy products.  But, as a software engineer, I can understand what they are facing.  Consider, for example, the 65K song limit for sonos library.  The fact that this hasn’t changed is pretty simple to understand: someone made a decision long ago to specify a limit of 65K songs and they built the hardware to support that and no more.  The song index must reside on a single device and its clear they did not design a distributed system where a portion of the database resides on each device so that you could have a larger database as you add devices.  A neat idea, but it will lead to reliability issues as the number of nodes grow.  So that’s why that decision made long ago constrains devices today, so long as older devices with real physical limits are supported for music library hosting. Its likely that current or future HD protocols exceed the capability of a decades old design.

That is all fine with me because there are external ways to work around these limitations (downcoding, external streaming services, cloud libraries, etc), so long as I can still group the older speakers with newer speakers, similar to the way that one can use a modern Sonos speaker with Airplay2 and stream that source grouped with non-Airplay2 speakers. I understand that some sources, like extreme HD audio would not work, but I expect common stream services (Apple, Pandora, Spotify, Tune-In) to continue to work in a hybrid system. It is very unlikely these services will change in such a way that new hardware is required - just software patches.

Grouping is a key function.  That must continue to work.  Make that so and I will continue to incrementally buy new and replace old Sonos products as you add features that I want.  But make me upgrade the entire system?  I can rewire the damn house with a centralized multi-amp and do what I did with Sonos today.  Inconvenient, less flexible and something I don’t want to do.  So, Patrick, do the right thing. Grouping should not just work as long as possible. It should work forever.  Period.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4
  1. No, Sonos players are a system and won’t operate properly with different versions in one system.

It is ENTIRELY within Sonos’ gift to change this. This is not a fundamental law of the universe.

Modify the software.

Userlevel 2

I have spent the last few days taking this news in and first of all, I honestly felt sadness and disappointment. Speaking from my own experience with Sonos equipment over 7 years and a few years before that researching the topic, my set up has worked really well in all respects.
Over the years I have recommended your speakers and set up to countless family and friends – who have also gone on, after doing their own due diligence, and paid decent sums of money on your products and been pleased with the results. I feel gutted to have recommended Sonos now.

However, my feelings have now turned to frustration and anger.

I have invested in 10x devices, of various sorts, and now find that 3 items have transferred to ‘legacy’ status. I agree with so many of the comments on this forum post and like many others purchased your equipment based on the attraction of having whole house audio coverage and this is the way we listen to our music. If I choose to separate out the system into ‘current’ and ‘legacy’ it will just not work in my open plan environment in a seamless manner and I will NOT be going down that route – I want to be able to use all my speakers together not separately.

So, I will be forced, come May 2020, to retain the software at that point, no future updates and things in the short term may well run as they do now – for a while.

All I am asking for is that the ‘legacy’ items just play music with the other speakers as a whole house system – since that is all I need them to do and were bought to do. I totally understand that other whizz bang options of voice control etc. will not be possible on these ‘legacy’ devices.

But, and this is what concerns me more, I can expect a reduction in functionality, although no detail on those reductions until May. as your press release mentions:

Continue using legacy products

You can continue using legacy products after May, but your system will no longer receive software updates and new features. Over time, this is likely to disrupt access to services and overall functionality.

Only a month or so ago my Samsung tablet and my wife’s tablet – both running the Sonos app - became obsolete as a controller (Android 6). I run my digital music library through a NAS drive connected to the network – took hundreds of hours to transfer the physical media (LP’s & CD’s) onto it – but your software would not let me update the Music Library UNTIL I had updated the tablets to the latest software. Guess what? Yep I couldn’t update them since you have made them obsolete. Luckily, we have mobile phones which can control the Sonos system.

I find this trend extremely worrying moving forward.

1 x Bridge – not used for a while since using WiFi network - BUT still worked perfectly

2 x PLAY 5 speakers – now tagged as ‘legacy’ - BUT still working perfectly – no problems

2 x branded Tablets – now unable to upgrade Sonos app - BUT still working perfectly on all other apps

• So, what next Sonos??           
  • Next 6-12 months my PLAY 1’s go into ‘legacy’ status??
  • Followed by SUB, PLAYBAR, PLAY 3’s a few years later??
  • What happens if I had my mobile phone stolen, or gone out and bought a brand-new tablet, then loaded up the Sonos app again?? Surely it will load up the app to the latest release and then won’t run the ‘legacy’ system of 10x speakers I have at home??
  • Is this the sort of ‘disrupt access to services and overall functionality’??
  • These are the sort of queries we as a community need answered in a timely manner in order to decide on our route forward

I have worked all my life in Electronics / Software and Manufacturing and am very familiar with the huge improvements in tech over the last few decades along with the costs to a business of supporting older products. But you surely employ some smart Software and Hardware engineers who I’m sure would relish the challenge of resolving this issue to interoperate aging and newer systems and continuing to support a long and established customer base?

It’s all about a recurring revenue business model but sadly Sonos has missed the point by a country mile. Most of us have bought a speaker, been impressed and continued to grow our systems over time. You could have continued for years picking up new customers and additions to systems from longer term customers too.

But the loyal customer base are NOT what Sonos want any more since we live in a ‘Consumerism World’ now, where everything is throwaway – even expensive items. What I find even more offensive are products that still work well, with no problems, are still seen as worthless. We should be absolutely reducing consumption of raw materials, the idea that these products could be on the landfill site after five years is outrageous.

I have been brand loyal – along with many other people - because the products work and will continue to work because they are just speakers and feel bitterly let down by your organisation.

I can honestly say that this is AN EPIC FAIL on your behalf and sadly I join other voices in actively discouraging other potential customers from purchasing your products if asked.

You need to rethink this decision at the highest level.

Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Wow, that CEO message is a new high water mark for cynical, condescending corporate statements. LMFTFY.. “We heard you. We did not get this right from the start. My apologies for that and I wanted to personally assure you that we are changing nothing but commit to using apologetic language as a framing device to placate you.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

50 pages back I felt the same as you. A quick email and a phone call back from Sonos HQ and within 5 minutes chatting it was clear to me that Sonos are indeed still the company that we all started out with. My impression is that they are working to put this right!

If in doubt send the an email with your concerns and see what happens. You'll be pleasently surprised at just how proactive this company is with its community followers and support.

Bloody hell mate, what did they give you.

Free sonos units to replace your legacy hardware, a gag order not to tell what they did AND you promised them that you would talk positively about them, without telling WHAT they did for you. ? :)

Userlevel 3
Badge

The worst PR blunder in my lifetime (I’m 46). To be told 9 years after buying a high end sound system it is now redundant is outrageous. I was a huge advocate of Sonos - selling the benefits to many friends and family over the years. We now have 7 products around the house including P5s / P1s / Sub / Sound Bar / Connect - so very angry that loyal customers who supported Sonos while they were building the business have been treated in this way. To spend many £1000s on a system that will not last longer than 9 years is quite sickening. Can’t even bring myself to turn it on tonight. Unless Sonos very swiftly within the next 24hrs issues a massive apology and confirms they will continue the updates (I only want to listen to Apple Music - nothing more) or offer significantly more than the 30% discount (it would need to be 75%), I do fear for their survival. I can now no longer buy any more Sonos products until this is resolved - we have many more rooms to fill. Very happy to contribute towards legal action if this is what it takes - can a fund be set up? 

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

A lot of the damage here is towards future plans, and sales. I found out that my Connect is modern so I am unaffected by this whole issue… in the short term. But that Connect, my Play:3 and Play:1 all have me wondering “”how long”. And THAT has made me hit the stop button on Sonos as far as buying anything new is concerned. I just bought a Move recently and that will be my last ever Sonos purchase unless they come up with a better solution for this. Because it’s not just this event that matters - it’s the perception of how they will deal with this next time… and my current perception is that they will not deal with it well.

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Hello everyone,

I’ve been watching this issue and reading this thread with total fascination! It is quite astonishing for me to see some of the reactions posted here, towards an absolutely non-critical issue. It’s only a music system we’re talking about here and it isn’t going to go up in flames after May.

The way I always viewed Sonos as a company and the system is that it is a mid range, good quality system with very good service by their staff (even for old products). I’ve used the service on very few occasions when something wasn’t working and they were excellent.

I have devices dating back to approximately 2006 and I also have some new devices, including a MOVE.

I’m betting on the following:

1. My legacy items won’t have any new updates with features added after May this year. They will continue to work at least another 5 to 7 years (unless the electronics fail). This will be a very decent “shelf life” in the case of WiFi connected devices.
  2. My newer devices will continue to get updates and work at least another 7 to 10 years. This will be a very decent “shelf life” in the case of WiFi connected devices.
  3. Sonos will figure out a way to use one controller app to control both systems, but separately. The way I am thinking about it is that the app will have 2 sections: System A (legacy) with rooms A, B, C etc. and System B (new devices) with rooms D, E, F etc. You can then toggle in between system A and B before selecting your room / music on the App.

Why do I think this way? Because Sonos has shown over the last many years that they can maintain products with very old, outdated technology for a very long time.

Yes, it’s “only a music system” - but a relatively expensive one. Personally I don’t consider 7 to 10 years to be a decent shelf life for a premium price product. 

Regarding point 3 - I have an device arrangement where a Connect:Amp is always used with some Play 1s. So, a “sectionalised” system will not do what I am used to (paid for).

I’m feeling quite pragmatic about this - I don’t expect Sonos to deliver a solution that will enable me to continue using my system as I want to. I’ll move on, but it won’t be with Sonos as I feel let down them. In some ways that’s a shame as until two weeks ago my experience as a customer had been great. 

HighEndMusic I’m afraid your assumption that your legacy products will continue to function for 5 to 7 years is a little flawed. Ryan S has already confirmed in a much earlier post that they will do what they can but as soon as any of the streaming services update their software there is every chance it will not run on the legacy units. So it could be one week, one month or even a year but at some point nothing streamed will stop working at which point you are left with a product that will only play your local music library, and as Ryan S pointed out, that is only until the OS of your library system gets an update and then that too may cease to function. The speed with which updates to software happen now really does not lend itself to your 5 to 7 years, more like 5 to 7 months!

•  

@highendmusic - most readers of this thread are able to recognize a post by Sonos public relations, so nice try.  Moreover, I suspect every post insinuating (or flat out stating) that consumers are wrong in their frustration/anger/feeling-of-betrayal/etc with Sonos does nothing but cement those feelings further.    This thread extends to 127 pages so all points that could be made on this topic probably have been; so there isn't much left to say after calling you out.  Hopefully, Sonos management will admit to itself that it made a tragic mistake and change course.  From my discussions with other Sonos costumers (including some woman I was randomly sitting next to on a plane) its clear to me that Sonos’ consumer base will not forgive and forget any time soon. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +2

....I now find myself in the strange position of bad mouthing and recommending against purchasing anything Sonos to the very people I was previously happily recommending it to.

...and that ^ is the saddest part in all this.

The pursuit of short-term cynical corporate gain at the expense of the very people who made the company successful.

I have many friends with Sonos systems too. We are most of us affected by the announcement to some degree.  We don't like it but we understand it.

I am fortunate to have only one legacy item. I understand that some users face a much bigger issue.  But I am entitled not to agree with the view that Sonos is the devil incorporate.

There is very little misinformation. lots of speculation but Sonos only have themselves to blame and could kill the speculating by providing more information which they choose not to do. 

If you don't like being called a shill don't call posters opinion misinformation and platitudes like "but me and my friends understand" implying we don't. Post what you want but just as you are free to do so, we are free to post ours. If it walks like a duck it's a duck even if not officially on the payroll. 

Userlevel 2

I have extended my house and built in ceiling speakers with around 10 connect amps and surround sound for TV. All less than 4 years ago. I have spent over £6000 buying into a brand and ecosystem that I though was built on quality and looking after the customer.

With this announcement I certainly will not be buying any more of your products. I am gald your share price has gone done as I hope it will make you and your investors realise that this is a idiotic decision and is destroying your brand.

I can't tell you how angry I am about this!

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

As someone who bought into Sonos a long time ago because I viewed them as a leader in the field of multi-room audio the more I think about it the more I have to come to the conclusion that their best days are behind them. They have yet to provide a single reason why maintaining a single multi-room system is not feasible. There have been many people questioning the ability to do this and even displaying a willingness to purchase additional equipment if that helps in making it happen.

Sonos’ apparent unwillingness to actually sell an additional product that would actually make their longtime customers satisfied makes me wonder if they are capable of doing it, and if they continue to be the innovative company I thought they were. 

I find it amazing that they can’t solve this problem when they hold all the cards. They don’t need to maintain connectivity with hardware made by other manufacturers, or even different versions of the firmware. They just need to CONTINUE to provide different functionality based on the particular hardware as they do today (e.g. Boost doesn’t need to actually play any music, Sub can’t be used as a stand alone speaker. 

If they can’t solve this then I don’t believe they will be able to solve any potential future challenges. Solving challenges is what market leaders do. They are first because they were able to find a way to do something that their competition couldn’t or wouldn’t do.

Userlevel 3

Let me give a simple explanation of how evolution works.

We will start with

END OF PRODUCT SUPPORT

this evolves to

END OF CUSTOMER FAITH &TRUST

this evolves to

END OF CUSTOMERS

this evolves to

DEATH OF A COMPANY