End of Software Support - Clarifications

End of Software Support - Clarifications

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4256 replies

No one is going to sit and listen to YOU specifically, they use software to listen to EVERYONE, and then the software will decide, based on some ruleset it is programmed to, if you are a bad person.

I did know that this isn't being done by people listening on headphones sitting in a van outside my home.

I am sure you also know that every cell phone call you make is heard in the way you describe, and I am dubious about the claim that what's app messages are safe/private, being encrypted.

I am paranoid where I need to be for banking and purchasing using 2 factor.

I also do not use a debit card because that leaves me having to argue with a bank that has the disputed amount in its pocket - I use credit cards from banks I do not bank with, so any argument can be conducted with an intact bank balance.

In my case it may help that I am over 60 and left with little energy or motivation to be naughty. It is the same circumstance that permits me to listen to music without obsessing that it is not hi res.

YMMV.

Userlevel 1
Badge +5

I just had a upgrade message from Sonos, but I see reading I would need S1 & S2 app for one play5 gen1 out of 10 SONOS products, and the transition is IRREVERSIBLE. ! So beware !!!!!

Like many I have one unit (Play5 gen1), that does not conform to S2 app, and as the first item I bought on my Sonos journey of almost 10 items now, it is out of date :(

Let us hope the latest units on offer have some degree of future proofing, and the excuse of lack of memory (pah!) or processing power does not befall the death of my 2x Play3 / Playbar or  multiple Play 1s and One in a couple of years.

I don't change my phone every time Apple produces a new one, (they are no different) and I can live with an element of redundancy, as I don't buy 10 and link them; but Sonos products are different they have always been designed to link together. I would happily accept limited functionality only on the one that is lagging, but to have two apps for the house installation will be fraught with issues.

I expect what is on offer with S2 will make no difference, other than reduce my bank account on trade-in and I’m still left with a unit that nobody wants and I can’t use elsewhere for the same split app reasons.

Sticking with S1 and being able to listen on all my units on one app, I feel.

Be interesting to see the take up on new app.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

See the new eamil from Mr. Spence?

Userlevel 3
Badge

I can definitely confirm that this issue is in fact being taken seriously by Sonos and they are working to come up with solutions. I myself have been very critical on this thread, but now after correspondence sent and a follow up conversation today I fully back Sonos following some truly excellent customer service and attention to my particular issue. I would not have expected such a positive reaction from any company but Sonos delivered today!

Well done Sonos and thank you for listening.

?

Userlevel 6
Badge +10

I declined this, but thought the forum needed to know that Sonos will give discounts to 50% if you push a bit.  ……

Sent: Monday, January 27, 2020 8:50 AM
Subject: Re: PLEASE STOP MY RECYCLING

Hello John-

Thank you for contacting Sonos!

Patrick Spence asked me to reach out to you on his behalf.

Our apologies for the confusion regarding the end of software updates for legacy items that is scheduled to commence in May.

While we are unable to reverse recycling, we would like to compensate you for this inconvenience.

If you could please provide the email address associated with these Trade Up products, I will submit a retroactive credit request to our finance team for this order so there is a 50% total discount rather than 30%. You should see this credit in 10-15 business days.

Again, we apologize for the inconvenience, and thank you for being a loyal Sonos customer.

Best,

Nathan S

Not to set my price too low … but I have to say at 50%, I would do the upgrade. 

There is something neat and mentally acceptable about “50%”. 

Would I still have the same past affection for Sonos? I don’t know but I could stomach 50% and a clear statement of future product life cycle with a far horizon.

Can’t believe I’m saying that but is true … I think

Or I should say upgrades … from memory think I got 6 of them. Suddenly sounds a little appealing.

Moderator note: Edited out private information.

Moderator clarification: All discounts are managed on a case by case basis.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Any of the Sonos devices marked as AirPlay 2 receiving devices.

In addition to the Airplay2 devices, the newer hardware Play:1 speakers are also 64bit iirc. 

OK, what is the processor?