Question

Blown bass on Play:1

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

34 replies

Badge
@Fishka, read my response! I stated that I was happy with the extreme response from SONOS. They replaced my speaker within three days.
Guys, it is what it is. A piece of equipment. It can blow, it can be damaged. Sonos is of course right not to provide a replacement speaker if the blown one's warranty expired. That's not an extreme response. It's business. Think about it, the argument here is that they make such high quality products that they should replace the ones who die after the warranty period - so by that logic, if they made products of lesser quality then you wouldn't demand a replacement? So their fault is that their products are too good? Yeah Sonos, please make products of lesser quality so that when they blow we don't feel angry with you for not replacing them on demand (without warranty).
Whenever you buy a piece of high tech equipment there is a very real chance that it will die some day, that can be 10 years after the warranty has expired or 10 days. It doesn't matter.
That being said, people are generally very satisfied with the lifespan of Sonos products, basing the decision not to buy any products because of very limited bad luck experiences is misguided. Just my opinion.
Badge
Once my defected play 1 entered the UPS shipping system they shipped a replacement. I received it in three days.
On the other hand I'm putting a pause on my next SONOS purchase. Been wanting to get the play bar and sub. Great sound but too expensive to be having this type of issue.
I also just experienced a blown Play:1.

I'm thankful that my Play:1 died just 4 months into its short life (i.e. it's still under warranty), and that you (@tonyMac) had a good experience with Sonos' customer care since I'm about to embark on the same journey.
Badge
I too just experienced a blown play 1. Fortunately it was still under warranty. I don't know the charge to fix it when it's out of warranty but I have to give it to SONOS for their extreme response. I am enjoying the system but find myself a little wary because of this problem. I have two play 1's, a 5 and I'm hesitating on adding the playbar and sub now.
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Just got off the phone with customer service. Speaker was purchased a year and a half ago according to their records. After diagnosis the consensus was that the speaker is blown. $130 to replace. I'm a little disappointed. Zack at customer service was nice but I feel like company policy should be to own up and replace a product with an issue like this.

Damn! 😞 That is very unfortunate. This is the first time I have heard of this happening. I frequently run my PLAY:1's at 100% volume and they're still going strong.

You're not wrong for expecting a replacement. SONOS hardware worldwide has a very, very low failure rate. The hardware is some of the most robust and reliable in the world. All of their products are designed to be played at any of the settings provided, at any volume for as long as you like without sustaining any internal damage. The settings that they allow you to access are set to prevent damage and the maximum volume is also a safe point. The speakers technically could go louder but then there is a risk of damage, so the maximum volume only goes as far as it does because that's the safest loudness for the speakers.

To have yours blow is something uncommon and rare and quite out of the ordinary for it's kind, so a replacement could have or maybe should have been an offer. It is likely out of warranty which is why they didn't offer a free replacement but considering the rarity of this issue I think they could've replaced it for free.

Best regards!
Just got off the phone with customer service. Speaker was purchased a year and a half ago according to their records. After diagnosis the consensus was that the speaker is blown. $130 to replace. I'm a little disappointed. Zack at customer service was nice but I feel like company policy should be to own up and replace a product with an issue like this.
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
My boys have tried to blow up my bass on many occasions and they have not been able to do it yet!
LOL
Userlevel 5
Badge +4
Hi Chad Larrabee,

I highly recommend that you contact SONOS Support directly as this is very unusual as all SONOS players are designed to be played at 100% volume without any problems and without causing any internal damage to themselves. I personally have never heard of a bass driver blowing in any SONOS product before but I am in no way saying you are wrong. The best thing to do is to contact SONOS as they can run a diagnostic to figure out what the problem is and they will be able to advise you, based on their diagnostic on what options you have to return, repair, or credit this product. 

You can give them a call here.

Best regards!