Beware the Amazon Echo Dot scam before you buy!

• 16 April 2017
  • 91 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

91 replies

The insults are neither here nor there, other than to demean the utterer. What regulars who joined this thread were plainly concerned about was not leaving nonsensical 'alternative facts' lying around unchallenged, where they could confuse a casual visitor.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The echo dot doesn't play the music it sends the command for Sonos to play the music.

seanorama - example: you add to your Sonos services in the current Sonos controller something like Spotify. When you go into the phone in the Sonos app then and go under Spotify and pick a song - the phone sends a command to Sonos to go out and directly fetch that song via the internet direct to the Sonos unit. The song in that case never goes through your phone (you can turn off phone it won't effect the song or songs playing as Sonos already has the command and is playing direct via the internet).

It is the same with Echo Dot. You tell echo dot you want to play a song on sonos and it will send the command to the Sonos unit to go out and fetch that song directly (via amazon cloud and wifi). The song never goes to the Echo Dot and the Echo Dot never plays the song (and yes Dots when they do play music they do play via Bluetooth or hard wired). But that is irrelevant to the current situation as the echo is just sending commands, it is not acting as an actual player in this case (thus the confusion).

Hopefully you can understand that part of it and why Bluetooth has nothing to do with the intergration.
Internet "experts" like the OP always remind me of the Marshal McLuhan scene in Annie Hall. Always brings a smile to my mug.

Lol. Woody Allen would also have gone to town with some of the less odious OP statements about conspiracies and other neuroses!
@Ryan S thanxs for your post. I would have thought that as Echo's are being sold at a high pace that SONO would be jumping on the band wagon to further promote/integrate their an already exceptional speaker solution.

Voice command via a SONO skills would be great I notice that Logitech has already put their Harmony app/skills on echo which works like a charm via wireless command. How about posting that your working on a solution as it took me a while of pursing this goofy thread to glean your singular reply...:P
Hi Mike. A bit of a shame that you happened upon this thread, rather than one of the saner ones on the topic. But is it not clear from Ryan's post that Sonos / Alexa integration is very definitely being worked on, and will come this year?
"Belay my last", I see that there is "Alexa/Echo yet?" thread that address my concern(s) however SONOs staff seems to be vague as to when (timeframe). I would have thought if it is not early 2017 (typically that's equated to 1st Quarter of the year which would be end of April) then a newly revised available timeframe would be appreciated as I'm sure that software development has said target date that their working to.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Sonos doesn't give timetables as a general rule as it just causes complaints if it takes longer. I think most of us expect something this summer.
Hear what you said, however being from a tech company one normally post development/release targets to keep the customer base aware and if slippage occurs then transparent communications works wonders. No false pretenses and if one is planning to purchase Alexa/Echo it would give the customers a timeframe to prepare for.
In my long years of software development and release, not once has slippage been regarded as anything other than negative. Nor is it ever ameliorated by any amount of transparent communication. Hell, half the people asking for exact deadlines do so on the eagerly anticipated announcement that the deadline may not be met so they can blast away again.

Sonos said this year. They've never wavered from that. There's your deadline. They've also stated it will work with all present and past Alexa devices, a fact which should be more than enough to justify any plans for an Alexa purchase.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
As a Canadian living in Brasil, I can't purchase Echo gear in either my native country or my adopted country. But I picked up a bunch of Dots in Florida a few weeks ago. They're great fun, and I understand why Sonos had to say something. I've already started looking for Echo compatibility in new gadgets, and I suspect that is part of the buying decision for many people these days. If didn't already have Sonos equipment and I thought that it would not work with Echo, I probably wouldn't buy Sonos if I were a new customer. It was wise of Sonos to plan to jump on the bandwagon and to let people know that at some point they will actually land on the wagon.
@Toolio, I agree with you whole heartily. With some of the responses that I'm seeing from my original enquiry other than @Rayan S who I would expect to see a company response (as he indicates he is SONO staff), there seems to be either push back and/or resistance to ask a simple question to establish what timeframe (which quarter in 2017) SONO is planning to deliver a Dot solution. I for one am happy that SONO is at least working on a DOT/SONO solution but moving from a position from earlier 2017 to sometime in 2017 doesn't instill any confides that the solution would be available anytime soon or are we awaiting for Christmas release...

Once again, Sonos never moved from early 2017 to sometime in 2017. Since the very first official press release, they stated only "in 2017". Many, me included, assumed that meant early 2017. We were wrong.
@jgatie, I stand corrected 😳
After reviewing the actual news release I found the following which was released in 2016; "The companies will begin rolling out the experience through an invite-only beta test later this year, with general availability in 2017." So based on this information it would imply that a beta version(s) was developed and released for testing end of 2016 with general availability in 2017 so.. one would think that it would be release within several months after beta testing, OK maybe 6 months after Beta. What's interesting I don't see any Beta program(s) today, we the public can only speculate without any real information from the company at hand. hence the origins of my beginning post.
This is the assumption many made. It appears the implementation is more complex and more dependent upon the engineers from Amazon as well as Sonos. Sonos reps have subsequently stated this is a full implementation, not a simple use of Alexa Rules. As such, some early assumptions made as to the ease and length of the development process appear to be off the mark.

Now, playing devil's advocate, the above does not preclude that the development has hit a rough patch, and Sonos' blatant ambiguity in the original announcement cen be seen a preventitive measure if such difficulties should arise. Nobody ever complained when something was delivered early, the opposite? Not so much. Which is why although Sonos not giving specific timelines may bring out impatience, it ultimately wards off the cries of ineptitude or false advertising (the OP of this silly thread aside).
Agree
Expect me when you see me, as every sailor says to his spouse on departure!
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Expect me when you see me, as every sailor says to his spouse on departure!
Lol. So old school. Now even the sailor phones home to inform his (or her) spouse of the arrival date.
Umm...my sailor son uses whatsapp to do this. But it is a good saying, nonetheless.
Badge
It's been a long time since I started this thread and I have yet to see the troll bullies who wanted to talk big (probably smart enough to keep quiet in public) apologize for the still no Sonos/Echo system! And now the company usually latest to all games... Wait for it... Apple! is going to produce the HomePod speaker system!! Years after everyone else! And the Sonos app is still junk.
Sigh
It's been a long time since I started this thread and I have yet to see the troll bullies who wanted to talk big (probably smart enough to keep quiet in public) apologize for the still no Sonos/Echo system!
Aye, Sonos have been failing badly in that regard.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Voice is for convenience Controller will always be best way to actually control. That said appears Sonos is ready for first to have third party support for alexa yet still gets bashed for being “behind”
It's been a long time since I started this thread and I have yet to see the troll bullies who wanted to talk big (probably smart enough to keep quiet in public) apologize for the still no Sonos/Echo system! And now the company usually latest to all games... Wait for it... Apple! is going to produce the HomePod speaker system!! Years after everyone else! And the Sonos app is still junk.

*YAWN*

Sonos promised it by the end of 2017. We will see who has the last laugh come December 31 (or maybe even earlier, like October 4th).
It's been a long time since I started this thread and I have yet to see the troll bullies who wanted to talk big (probably smart enough to keep quiet in public) apologize for the still no Sonos/Echo system! .

Amazon just released the Connected Speaker API last week, after a year in development. No one, not Sonos, not Bose, not Denon, has been able to release Alexa support yet, while this API was in the works. Most are now saying they will have support in October. Sonos isn't saying, but there's plenty of press around their October 4th press conference.

Do yourself a favor, stick to the facts, not your own invented nonsense. You're the only one needing to apologize.