Answered

Sonos Roam - Stuck In Sleep Mode

My sonos roam is stuck in sleep mode, the app is alerting me to press any button - and even when I do it does not leave sleep mode.  It also will not respond to me holding the power button for 5+ seconds.

The device is stating that the battery is fully charged and the device is plugged in - however, when I unplug the Roam, I am unable to turn it on.

Is this a battery issue, or a true sleep issue?  I have owned the roam for less than a year.

icon

Best answer by Ken_Griffiths 8 January 2023, 03:37

View original

32 replies

Sounds more like a software “stuck” issue. I’m assuming you’ve done a full shut down, waited a couple of minutes, then powered it back up?

If you have other Sonos speakers, I’d recommend a  factory reset , but this will erase any data stored on it, including playlists, etc. 

Might actually be better to first call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

It is possible to check the Roams battery via the web interface - goto this address using a web browser and see if all looks okay:

http://[iP Address of Roam]:1400/status/batterystatus

If the Battery/LED/Sleep issue persists, then try this…

• Whist ‘off’ it’s charger (that’s important) with the device powered ‘on’- press and hold the rear power-button. The Roam will power itself off after approx. 5-6 seconds, but do not let go the button, keep it pressed for about another 15+ seconds until you see the front top status LED (near Sonos logo) light-up and glow white and then place the Roam back on its USB-C charger (5V/2A (10W) PD power output minimum charge level) and leave it until it’s fully charged (check via the web interface) - when it’s reached 100% it should then be okay after that.🤞
  • Note you may need to repeat the above steps, if there is no sign of the device working after being put back on its charger, but wait for 30-40 minutes before taking it off the charger to try again.

Hope that assists.

Same problem here, no resolution from the above (no white light comes back on after holding button). No option to factory reset the roam on the app from what I can tell. 

Same problem here, no resolution from the above (no white light comes back on after holding button). No option to factory reset the roam on the app from what I can tell. 

You are perhaps best to contact and seek assistance from Sonos Support Staff via this LINK 

Forgot to mention it's on 2 separate roam devices, and we're posting this 3 days apart so it stands to reason the problem is on Sonos software end

Forgot to mention it's on 2 separate roam devices, and we're posting this 3 days apart so it stands to reason the problem is on Sonos software end

I don’t see the many hundreds of thousands of folks who probably now own these devices complaining and my two Roams here are working just fine with the current software release, but either way, you’re best to get in touch with Sonos, not much more the user-community can do if you’ve followed the advice, without success… it’s best to put the matter into the hands of Sonos Staff, via the link provided earlier.

Userlevel 1

Same problem here since a few days. Sonos Roam stays in sleep mode, whatever you do.

I guess this is a new software bug 

Same problem here since a few days. Sonos Roam stays in sleep mode, whatever you do.

…and yet my two Roams here are both absolutely fine on v14.20.1 (build70436090) of the software/firmware, so don’t think it’s going to be a software bug.

…and yet my two Roams here are both absolutely fine on v14.20.1 (build70436090) of the software/firmware, so don’t think it’s going to be a software bug.

Hah!  Famous last words. Like you, my Roam was absolutely fine until it wasn’t. Sonos has a problem with the Roam and they know it. It certainly feels like buggy battery charging / power management software or maybe they had a bad batch of batteries. Don’t know, don’t care.

I do care that Sonos is replacing my pre-order and way out of warranty Roam for the second time, even though the warranty expired more than 8 months ago. In my opinion, they are quietly taking care of a well known issue.  

If this happens to anyone else, Sonos support can easily get an exception to the one year warranty. Just don’t be a d***, like some folks in here and support with treat you right. 

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

@dougelder,

I think around May-time this year (2023), the Roams here will be approaching two years old IIRC - and with the amount of use I’ve had from each of them (every day), they have probably paid for themselves already.

In real terms, these days, each one is less than the cost of a 1-month  (modest 3 bedroom house) Electricity or Gas bill, here in the UK, so if either/both fail, I don’t think I will worry too much about it ..and will just save up my pennies and buy another… or they might actually be covered by our ‘small gadget’ insurance (not sure 🤔? - I would need to check that). Perhaps not, as it’s probably normal wear and tear.

Anyway I’ll start saving just in case. but maybe check back here with me in another two years time and I’ll let you know just how everything went and if they’re still going strong - as I say they both seem fine at the moment.

Userlevel 1

I’ve found the root cause of the problem and solution in another forum discussion. It seems there is a communication problem with the WiFi network when you have this problem.

Solution: you need to reset your WiFi network (switch off and on). 

Please note that resetting the Sonos Roam SL to factory settings didn’t solve the problem. The device was not visible anymore in the system. So when you have this problem, reset your WiFi network.

Badge

I’ve found the root cause of the problem and solution in another forum discussion. It seems there is a communication problem with the WiFi network when you have this problem.

Solution: you need to reset your WiFi network (switch off and on). 

Please note that resetting the Sonos Roam SL to factory settings didn’t solve the problem. The device was not visible anymore in the system. So when you have this problem, reset your WiFi network.

yes this also worked for me, thx for posting this

It is possible to check the Roams battery via the web interface - goto this address using a web browser and see if all looks okay:

• Whist ‘off’ it’s charger (that’s important) with the device powered ‘on’- press and hold the rear power-button. The Roam will power itself off after approx. 5-6 seconds, but do not let go the button, keep it pressed for about another 15+ seconds until you see the front top status LED (near Sonos logo) light-up and glow white and then place the Roam back on its USB-C charger (5V/2A (10W) PD power output minimum charge level) and leave it until it’s fully charged (check via the web interface) - when it’s reached 100% it should then be okay after that.🤞
  • Note you may need to repeat the above steps, if there is no sign of the device working after being put back on its charger, but wait for 30-40 minutes before taking it off the charger to try again.

Hope that assists.

Thanks, that solved it for me.   

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I’ve had this issue since an update a few months ago on both of my Roams.  It happened right after a software update so I’m not sure why you dismiss this...and are snarky about it…  Fix this Sonos...really annoying problem.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Hope that assists.

Did not work for me.

That makes me wonder if the issue you’re experiencing, while looking the same, actually has a different cause. What did Sonos support say when you submitted a diagnostic and called them?

I resolved it, quite simply by turning it off on the rear switch leaving it for 15 minutes and then starting it up again…. Worked for me but might not work for everyone.   

I think it all depends on the “issue” being resolved. Yes, in many cases, i suspect that will help. There are other cases, I’d guess, that require slightly different resolutions. 

I bought a total of 5 Sonos Roam from Costco with wireless battery charger for 2 houses I have as I liked to sound quality and the compact size and want to have a change move away from my Bose.  reading all above It is clear that Sonos Roams develop a problem as battery ages, or maybe there was a software update and caused the issue recently. 

My First Roam failed as described above. Nothing happens, you cannot reset, on its magnetic charger it does not charge, and no light, When you connect to USBC cable and no matter how strong the charger is you only see solid orange light come on and never turns off. I called Sonos support , first the Chat robot is useless and this option with Solid orange light does not exist and I finaly chat to an operator which is a challenge also to by pass the  robot they asked me to do  all the above what you mention, reset it, use big charger, leave it for 30 min and call us back  etc etc/ same result,  22 seconds etc etc  then they offered a 30% discount on another product if I return it. While I first agreed to return it I still do not ant to pay 70% of something that should have never failed in 18 months. And bang, a second Sonos Roam had the same problem this week. 2 in a row is not bad luck it is a bad product. 

Then I thought over it and both Sonos Roams were in my garage when I was listening music on batteries without being charged and basically failed when battery was drained overnight. Is it batteries or the software that cannot restart ut I do not know but SONOS should know right? . I am trying different combinations and now will try this charge-disconnect-reset-charge-disconnect-reset  options (Sonos never said to reboot without USBC cable connected by the way, I learned it here) 

So rule number 1 do not buy another SONOS Roam there is a product issue. 

Rule number 2 do not get your Old Sonos’roams drain fully. I had this when they were younger and was not a problem to recharge and restart, should be either poor  batter lifespan  or a new software. Sonos should know they have a problem and giving you a 30% discount is very poor acceptance of a product fault. My Bose speakers and batteries  have been working for 7 years to date and still working… 

Rule number 3 buy Bose. 

Rebooted router and that seems to have worked. It’s been a problem with different Roams for a while. Let’s see.

You are perhaps best to contact and seek assistance from Sonos Support Staff via this LINK 

To be honest, all they see to do is quote the ‘help’ available on website(s).

Sounds more like a software “stuck” issue. I’m assuming you’ve done a full shut down, waited a couple of minutes, then powered it back up?

If you have other Sonos speakers, I’d recommend a  factory reset , but this will erase any data stored on it, including playlists, etc. 

Might actually be better to first call Sonos Support directly to discuss it.

Tried factory resets many times and still unstable. 

I tried many times to reboot and factory reset both option software pressing the back button, and pressing play button and later back button etc for a factory reset with and without  USBc power cord connected and disconnected, giving time in between. I compare everything to my working Sonos roam. working one you can feel the battery is warm when it is charging and Orange light goes out after connecting power cord. On non-working Sonos Roams orange light never goes out. Battery is stone cold.  I think issue is once both speakers depleted batteries (I left both in the garage while working and deplete overnight) it cannot restart the charge, either it needs some minimum charge for it to start charging like a software gate or there is a battery issue as it gets old and looses full charge can never reengage) . There is no way two Sonos Roams develop the same problem randomly. 

This weekend I am planning to test my 3rd and working Sonos Roam, currently it charges and works without problem but it is on a magnetic charger at all times; I shall deplete it and, this will mean more than likely it will reproduce  same fault and  I shall  end up with 3 x Bricks , but better now than later, than I have a good case against Sonos if I document this all and I do not want to live with the fear of battery depletion, these units are supposed to be mobile.

And yes I agree with above the fact that Sonos help is useless on this subject just following same protocol . they must known they have a problem, they are just running your round and round and tossing you a 30% discount coupon after 1 year warranty as per their script. I am now not going to return back my first Sonos Roan for 30%. 

My sonos roam is stuck in sleep mode, the app is alerting me to press any button - and even when I do it does not leave sleep mode.  It also will not respond to me holding the power button for 5+ seconds.

The device is stating that the battery is fully charged and the device is plugged in - however, when I unplug the Roam, I am unable to turn it on.

Is this a battery issue, or a true sleep issue?  I have owned the roam for less than a year.

Right here is the solution as at 12/03/2023

if everything you try fails then do this,

unplug from power source 

leave it alone until the light goes out (could take a few days)

once light is out pluck back into power source

after 15 mins push the button to power on……… your Roam is back.

your welcome

I have noticed that chargers will sometimes get into a mode where they won’t charge their ROAM. A simple reboot of the charger has worked around this. This has been the case with the SONOS wireless charger and 3rd party chargers.

There is a 3rd reset method for ROAM. Make sure that the ROAM has at least some charge, even if it does not seem to be responding. Remove ROAM from the charger and hold the power switch for about 15 seconds. This reboots a small auxiliary processor involved in power management. Now, reconnect the charger and charge to full capacity. This is not a Factory Reset.