Answered

Sonos Move not showing

• 8 October 2019
  • 76 replies

Show first post

76 replies

Found another trick to make this thing work besides the select all speakers.  If you set an alarm and put the move and another speaker in the alarm it will work every time regardless of its in app status.

So its for sure a software thing if I can trick it into playing.  

Please Sonos fix it my kids are getting sick of listening to my music by hitting the play everywhere just to trick this thing into working.

JeffV,

Uninstall and re-install the iPad App.

Just made an account to contribute to this discussion. Because I have been working with the Move for a while now (1+ year) and it starts to annoy me:

Two set-ups, both connected through Wi-Fi:

Beam + 2 One SL’s in one room. Zero problems. Always available.

But then, the Sonos Move. Both on the docking, and off the docking (with the docking closer to the router than the setup in the other room), it regularly disappears from the app. When it's off the docking I could understand, but usually it's ON the docking. Occasionally I can reconnect it by going to the Spotify App on the phone and then selecting ‘connect a device’, because somehow the Spotify app manages to find it when the Sonos app doesn't. But this trick doesn't always work (sometimes the Spotify app can't find it either).

So then I take it off the docking, turn it off, wait, turn it back on. Often this works (although sometimes I still have to go through the Spotify app afterwards). More than a couple times even this didn't help. When it doesn't, I give up and just use Bluetooth to connect it (but then I have to keep my phone near enough for it to stay connected, and keep my phones Wi-Fi turned on).

This issue exists with both my Android phone, my gf's I-Phone (and her old I-Phone), and the Desktop app on my laptop. Often voice activation also doesn't work when this happens, sometimes it does. When it doesn't Google assistant claims there's a network issue, but that ‘issue’ never affects any of the other devices in the house (Sonos or other).

Thanks to the Bluetooth function I’ll always be able to listen to music in the end, but it is somewhat annoying that I have to spend 5 minutes trying to make it work, while the whole Sonos thing is advertised as a super duper easy experience. None of the suggested ‘fixes’ above works as a long term solution. It keeps on disappearing.

Userlevel 5
Badge +6

@MT8599 & @Simonster - did you try switching off ‘Private Address’ MAC Spoofing feature in the iOS WiFi connection properties - that’s just for the iPhone/iPad controller only of course.

Also note that the Sonos App uses SSDP to initially discover the players, multicasting via UDP to 239.255.255.250:1900 and, for good measure, broadcasting to 255.255.255.255:1900. So it appears something is going wrong with that discovery - it might be you have some wireless interference in and around the router, or players.

Perhaps try this - ensure the router firmware is fully up-to-date. 

Set the router to use the least-used fixed ‘non-overlapping’ WiFi channel 1, 6 or 11 and if the router allows, set a channel-width of 20Mhz only.

If using a mesh router WiFi system, set one Sonos device wired to the primary router/hub and have a read through this thread too:

Sonos on WiFi Mesh

If using SonosNet, then the wired device should be located away from the router to reduce interference - at least one metre away and then also set the SonosNet channel in the Sonos App so it is at least 5 channels away from your chosen router channel.

It’s also helpful to reserve (set static) all the Sonos products IP addresses in the routers DHCP Reservation Table.

See if doing those few things helps with your Move’s device discovery.

I am experiencing the same Move issues as many of you, and on iOS alone.  The setup consists of the following:

• 2 Playbars
  • 2 Beams
  • 1 Sub
  • 1 Play:3
  • 2 Play:1s
  • 2 Moves
  • 3 Connect:Amps
  • 1 Connect

These are distributed across nine rooms.  The macOS controller works flawlessly and detects every room and speaker with complete reliability.  The iOS app, however (in all versions for as long as the Move has been out), regularly but intermittently loses the ability to detect the Move.  Despite this, the iOS app does seem to have awareness that the Move devices exist since the app will immediately post the devices as “Offline” if powered down, and will recognize them as online when they are moved from the charging base.

This seems to me to be among the most clear-cut cases of an app-specific bug related to sufficient polling of the device state.  Unfortunately, Sonos tech supports wants to discuss the network topology even when the iOS controller, macOS controller, and the Moves are sitting side-by-side on the same wireless access point, and only the iOS controller exhibits the issue.  I am considering disabling MAC spoofing as one user suggested and assigning static IP address to both Moves to see if the situation improves, but this should not be necessary.

In the end, I want it to “just work” and enjoy the system.  When guests ask me what my experience has been with Sonos, my opinion is tainted despite the investment that has been made.  It is unfortunate to have to hold on to hope that someone that can make a difference will read this and do something to address our concerns.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18
Have you tried
Settings, System, Find Missing Product
to see if it shows up?
Do you have wireless extenders or access points on your network?
Userlevel 1
Have you tried
Settings, System, Find Missing Product
to see if it shows up?

Just tried this but it doesn't create the network that I need to join

Do you have wireless extenders or access points on your network?
Yes, I have a wireless repeater which uses a second SSID

Before we go too far down the rabbit hole here, the Move is designed to go into a standby mode when it's not in use for a while. In that mode, it'll drop off the app until you close and reopen the app, or quick press the power button on the unit. @Ken_Griffiths has quite the observations laid out here. Does this seem to match up with what you're seeing?

The "Offline" tag is saying that the unit has dropped for unexpected reasons, such as turning the power off.

I understand the offline part but after I tap the power button it does not reconnect with the app. I have the app on both Android and iOS but they both show the se thing. The offline device disappears completely and I can no longer see the Move. See previous screenshots
Userlevel 7
Badge +18
The wireless repeater may be the problem.

Are you sure the Move is connected to the same SSID as the other speakers?

Try setting it it up again with the repeater turned off to be sure it’s connecting on the network you want it.
J05H912,

In “Settings/System/Network/Networks” in the Sonos App the SSID of the Move's connected WiFi Network should be shown. If it’s on the repeater SSID and the controller is connected to the main router (or vice versa) then that is the issue and both need to be on the same network, preferably the main routers network.

Here are the instructions to switch Networks for the Move speaker assuming you may want to put it on the same network as your mobile...

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3666
So, since my last post I have reset the speaker but as I was doing so my iPod stopped while looking for it on the network. But when I opened the app on my phone (Android) it came up with the register speaker option. After doing this the speaker appeared in the rooms on my phone. I have restarted my iPod and the app but the speaker still does not appear. It does however appear in the app on my phone and the windows application. I tried looking at the same time on all three. I am starting to think that it may be an issue with the app and not just my WiFi. I have made sure they are on the same network as each other, as well as taking it to another location with only one network but it has the same problems. I have three Sonos speakers on my home network and 2 on the other network. All other speakers show correctly on both networks only the Move does not.
And what happens when the repeater is switched off completely?

I also have issue with sonos move needing to restart all the time. Showing it is offline even though it is onlinw

I also have issue with sonos move needing to restart all the time. Showing it is offline even though it is onlinw

Is that whilst the Move is on, or off, the charger loop?

If it’s whilst it’s off the charger, it is supposed to go offline. However, if it’s whilst it’s connected to the charger, then it is most likely the WiFi signal.

If using the 5ghz band for connection, then perhaps consider switching it to your 2.4ghz band.

If you are using a WiFi mesh system or access points, WiFi extenders/repeaters or powerline adapters etc; then ensure they are ALL operating on the same channels as the main hub/router. Try to ensure you select a fixed non-overlapping WiFi channel that is least-used in your locality. Keep the Move away from potential sources of wireless interference, as mentioned in this document…

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/3286

I have the same problem.  The move disappears while it’s on the charger.  Closing and reopening the app does not solve the problem.  I know it’s not a wifi issue because Google Assistant works just fine on the Move.  As a matter of fact, if I start music on the Move using the Google Assistant, the Move will show up in my Sonos app.

I have the same problem.  The move disappears while it’s on the charger.  Closing and reopening the app does not solve the problem.  I know it’s not a wifi issue because Google Assistant works just fine on the Move.  As a matter of fact, if I start music on the Move using the Google Assistant, the Move will show up in my Sonos app.

Maybe try this... Power off the actual charger loop for s minute or so and let the charger reset itself. Then power it on again and see if that fixes the issue for you.👍

Maybe try this... Power off the actual charger loop for s minute or so and let the charger reset itself. Then power it on again and see if that fixes the issue for you.👍

I tried that and nothing changed.  Closed out and reopened the app and still no luck.  I gave up, then when I looked in the app 10 minutes later there it was.  I’ll see if it’s still visible when I get home tonight.

I tried that and nothing changed.  Closed out and reopened the app and still no luck.  I gave up, then when I looked in the app 10 minutes later there it was.  I’ll see if it’s still visible when I get home tonight.

Ensure the mobile controller device is on the same WiFi network band and if you have a mesh home WiFi system, or any WiFi access points/extenders, then check they are all operating on the same wireless channels (and SSID’s) as the main router.

How do I find out which network the Move is on?  I have a 5k and 2.4k network on the router. 

OK, there is absolutely no rhyme or reason as to when the Move is connected.

• I get home tonight and check and the Move is still visible and controllable in my Sonos app.  I check and my phone is on the 2.4k network.
  • I switch my phone to the 5k net work and am not able to connect to the Move.
  • I switch my phone back to the 2.4k network and can not connect to the Move.
  • I close out the app and open it up and can control the Move again (I am on my 2.4k network)
  • I switch my phone to my 5k network and am still able to control the Move.
  • While all this is going on, my other components are always visible.

Same issue here. In checking the way my various Sonos system components were connecting to my WiFi network, I’ve found out that my Move was the only one connecting through 5Ghz. I’ve tweaked my router back to 2.4Ghz and it appears to have solved the issue.

Same issue here. WTF Sonos? My whole system was fine until you told me that I need to replace half of it. I took your word for it, spent a considerable amount of money and got a bunch of new problems.

Same issue here. Have tried every suggestion here and my Move won’t come back into the S2 app. Shoes up and works with Alexa, just not Sonos app.

Sonos needs to figure this out. 

I am having the same issue - sick of rebooting and resetting to make MOVE appear on app only to have it disappear again.  Have been a fan of SONOS for some time and was looking forward to including the MOVE in the house.  Seems like it is still full of bugs with no solution.  

Adding comment to stay up to date in case there is an actual answer for this. Having a similar problem. Shows up via AirPlay but not in the app.