Answered

Sonos Move disappearing on Airplay

I have 2 Sono Move speakers.  One in the kitchen and one in my room.  In the last few days I have noticed that in the Airplay menu on my iPhone / iPad only one would show up and rarely both.  Both speakers however show up to be connected in the Sonos app.  I would have to shut the missing speaker down (long press the power button) and turn it back on to have it showing on Airplay.  I’ve not changed anything with my home internet network.  Anyone has the same problem?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 April 2022, 14:24

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Badge +20

On another multi room wireless system the trick to get Airplay working again is to powercycle the Router but best if you have IP addresses reserved otherwise your network will get in a right mess. 

Also turning off Wi-Fi on the source and on again may help.

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

Not that I use airplay but I checked my iPhone and ipad also my apple tv show both my move speakers available to use

I am on 15.4.1 on both pad and phone and 15.5 on tv doubt it is the update causing the problem 

The two ‘Moves’ here are called Bathroom and Moveable, I use them most days and they’re always showing in our Airplay device list on our iOS mobiles and tablets.

If you do regularly find any Airplay devices disappearing from your device list, then I would suggest taking a closer look at the local wireless network subnet and perhaps consider some of the suggestions mentioned in my initial post above, to see if those things may help to resolve the issue.

@Ken_Griffiths 

I tried this routine and unfortunately, AirPlay still assigns them the exact same ID despite a factory reset of the Moves, a reset of the router. and a network reset of my iphone.  Again, I haven’t reset every device (ipad, wife’s iphone), because I need some of the other saved network settings.  But I did turn them off during the process.

Again, this all used to work just fine until either a Sonos or Apple update.  Can’t determine which.

@HungryWookie 

If/whenever I very ‘occasionally’ encounter the issue, a factory reset of the Moves has always worked for me.. I follow the steps posted earlier, first removing the devices from HomeKit and voice assistants etc. and the RAOP ID switches between the ones shown in the attached images. So it’s unusual it didn’t work for you? Did you reset the device network settings between removal and restoring the devices?

Maybe give it another go and next time also reset the Sonos App App too from the option in ‘Settings/App Preferences’ in-between the removal and setup and see if that perhaps sorts it for you. I would even try resetting both devices that have the same ID.

Hi. Is this still a problem for anyone else? I’m not sure if there was an update  for the Move recently, but I now see both my Moves as separate Airplay devices again. AND, they seem to be playing nice on my Wi-Fi extender for the first time ever! I hope these are actual fixes and not a fluke. 

Sonos doesn’t support extenders, so that bit may be a fluke.

Unsupported network setups and devices

• Wireless internet connections such as satellite, mobile hotspots, or LTE routers
  • Guest networks or networks that use a portal login page
  • Networks using wireless range extenders 2
  • Ethernet over Power (EOP) devices
  • WPA/WPA2 Enterprise

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/126?language=en_US

Ok that didn’t last long. I’m back to square one. I woke up and the same problem came back…

Yes, that makes a little more sense as these issues are (more) often a network related issue, factory resetting a Sonos device very rarely fixes these matters. I would perhaps focus on looking closer towards the network side of things and/or the Airplay sending device - if the Move disappears from the Airplay device list then maybe try pinging the device to see if it’s actually still connected to the LAN and maybe try some of the things mentioned earlier in this thread.

Thanks Ken,

I tried factory resetting all my speakers and re-installing the app, but it didn't make any difference. The speakers reconnected to Airplay for a few hours, but when I woke up the next morning, they had all dropped off Airplay again. All I can do is unplug and restart them all every time I want to use them. It's bloody annoying.

I’ve tried everything and I give up. I guess there is no solution. Sonos just makes faulty products that don't work properly. Sigh.

That’s okay, always happy to try to assist, but I think Sonos is the last place to point your finger…If that were the case then all my Sonos speakers, and I have a fair few, would not be working with Airplay and in fact they do all work fine here. I’m certainly not seeing an issue and both my son and daughter, in their own Homes, use Spotify and Apple Music Apps (respectively) with Airplay from their iPhones and one of my friends uses it too (probably more than me) and things have been fine - My guess is that it could be your router and it’s compatibility with the Bonjour service, or perhaps more likely you have not done the reset after the recent Apple fiasco with their (now withdrawn) HomeKit update, as widely mentioned online and by a member of Sonos Staff here (and plenty of others too):

https://en.community.sonos.com/general-feedback-and-conversation-229090/suddenly-cannot-find-airplay-on-sonos-move-6879260?postid=16637363#post16637363

I did also look on the Apple forums and here too are the things that some Apple iOS users have suggested in the past to fix Airplay issues on HomePod and other 3rd party speakers…

• Restart all devices and try to AirPlay again
  • Toggle off Bluetooth, or if already off, try turning it on, on the sending device.
  • Turn off Cellular Data
  • Disconnect from any other Bluetooth devices (like speakers, headphones etc.)
  • Connect all to the same WiFi network access point
  • Reset your network settings on your iDevice in Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings
  • Disable ‘Private Address’ MAC Spoofing in the iOS Network connection 
  • Disable WiFi calling.
  • Update iOS, and speaker firmware/software
  • Move your devices away from other electronics and closer to the main router
  • Renew your devices DHCP lease via the router configuration pages or better still, reboot the router.
  • Switch off any Security/VPN software installed on the sending (mobile) device

Anyhow I hope that assists you to fix things and hopefully it will go onto eventually persuade you that Sonos do not make faulty products that do not work properly, in my own personal experience, the issues can quite often actually lie elsewhere.

Ok, here we go…  I had (and probably will have again) this same exact issue.  I have somewhat figured it out.  The problem is that  apple airplay is issuing the same ‘airplay’ address to both moves (or several or whatever).   This seems to only affect the moves as I have several other sonos devices that work perfectly with airplay.  Everything was fine on my system until I introduced the 2nd move.  I did all of the above steps, called a few times, had tickets opened and talked to at least 2 techs.  I had zero luck with the first tech and some luck with the second.  The fix with the 2nd fellow was a reboot of my phone that just happened to be due a patch from apple, and voila two moves on airplay, thanks goodbye, ticket closed.  A week later, only one move again.  The second tech did give me a tool (app) to use on my Iphone, in which you can see the duplicate addresses.   The app is called:  discovery - and it looks like below.  Load this up and on first screen click on local (under browsable domains), then look for Remote audio output protocol (AirTunes), click on this.  Then you will see 2nd screen shot.  In the screenshot you can see that the highlighted areas of my two moves are different, and guess what they both show up and work in airplay.  When the addesses are duplicated, we have the issue of only one working at a time.  I can almost guarantee you will see duplicates in this app if you have this issue.  I can’t exactly figure out how to get them to directly re-address- as reboots / resets of the moves does not do this.  I think this is stored in Airplay, and I don’t know how to directly change it, as this app is view only.  But - Big But, if you reset your network on you iphone, it ‘should’ pick up new airplay addresses, seemed to work for me.  It’s a little worrisome this network reset because you are in an area where you would normally reset your phone - like if you were trading it in.  But I pulled the trigger (only choose network reset - only network), and did it.  You have to provide your wifi logon again - actually you might have to provide that everywhere - not sure, but this little reset got my moves on different addresses.  Good luck.  This is a super annoying bug - all other sonos devices are fine on the airplay, but not the moves - something odd there… not sure...

Same issue here.   Frustrating thing. The units take turns showing up on airplay.   Its inconsistent. But never both at same time except when I first setup new one last week.   I added one to existing studio pair of moves. So total 3 units.   Last time I had a strange issue with moves, they cleared up after some updates.  And its NOT my network.  

Then submit a system diagnostic, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Personal prediction, it WILL be your network. Either a duplicate IP address issue, or perhaps subnet issues due to a mesh setup, but it’s fairly unlikely to be a Sonos issue with their software, per se. Not impossible, which is why I’m recommending that you give them hard data rather than anecdotal feedback to look at. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +11

I’ve resetted the Move speakers, re-added them to the Sonos app and that seems to have done the trick.  

Glad to hear that 

As i was curious I tried airplay from my tv to both my moves and roams which worked well at least I know it'll work for me if I ever want to use it👍

Diagnostic report → the number is “752886258”.

Additional information, if I cannot see the desired Sonos Move Speaker in my Airplay list. I will turn off and then turn on my WIFI & Bluetooth of my iPhone/iPad until the desired Sonos device showing up in Airplay list.

The update has not fixed this issue for me, either.

Like @graham1980 @Todd1 and @ahcl20 

All was seamless with my two Moves and two Sonos Ones via airplay until one day a few months back (with absolutely no change in my network), I was unable to see both Moves at the same time.  I can go into my Sonos app and get both playing, but from my Airplay drop down menu, only one Move will be recognized at any one time.

I have set fixed IP addresses for each Sonos device and rebooted the router, but to no avail.

Has anyone figured out a fix?  Do we just hope yet another future update solves the problem?

I am worried with the statement that “with 14.10, we consider this issue resolved”.  With the thread that @jrguk mentioned, I believe most there were having a different problem.  Seems like there are enough people here to make sure they are looking at it.  I am assuming the issue began with an automatic update all our Moves went thru a few months ago.

Hi. Is this still a problem for anyone else? I’m not sure if there was an update  for the Move recently, but I now see both my Moves as separate Airplay devices again. AND, they seem to be playing nice on my Wi-Fi extender for the first time ever! I hope these are actual fixes and not a fluke. 

Same problem - logging so we have more clues.

I experience the exact same problem and have tried it on 3 different wifi systems (I’m in IT and test a lot of equipment). 

Google Wifi mesh (assumed that was the issue)
Eero Mesh (when it happened here, thought I validated that it was a mesh issue)

Now on Unifi. I can confirm, reserved IPs for all Sonos speakers including Moves. They are locked to a single access point so same channel. Latest iOS 15.5 on iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro - one move shows up but the Sonos app shows both moves on both iPhones. Same behavior on Intel and M1 Macs running Monterey (1 move on airplay, 2 moves on Sonos app).

I CAN however start airplay on one move and hold the “Play” button on the other and it will group but never shows on airplay. 

At this point, I think I’ve validated it is NOT the network. 

Other Sonos products on my network:
Stereo paired Ones
Stereo paired Fives + Sub

Beam

2 Moves (not stereo paired)

I’m in IT with loads of experience running Sonos in corporate and home environments. Completely happy to try anything you all can think of!

Oh and yes all Sonos firmware and apps up to date. 

Same issue here, working flawlessly unitl a few months ago, I can’t pinpoint when exactly, but I had made no network/Sonos configuration changes to prompt this eroneous beahviour.

I have two Move’s, and can repeatably get each available as an airplay end point by removing the other (eg flipping it to bluetooth) but can not get both at the same time. My Play5’s do not have this problem. All speakers are wireless on the same vlan as the controller.

Same issue here, working flawlessly unitl a few months ago, I can’t pinpoint when exactly, but I had made no network/Sonos configuration changes to prompt this eroneous beahviour.

I have two Move’s, and can repeatably get each available as an airplay end point by removing the other (eg flipping it to bluetooth) but can not get both at the same time. My Play5’s do not have this problem. All speakers are wireless on the same vlan as the controller.

I’ve got two ‘Move’ speakers here too (‘Portable’ and ‘Bathroom’) and they’re both showing/working fine using Airplay - most iOS Airplay issues are network related, so perhaps try a reboot of the router. FWIW i also have my devices registered as an accessory in Apple Home(Kit) too. If problem persists you could try a device reset I guess but that’s always a last resort.

Ok that didn’t last long. I’m back to square one. I woke up and the same problem came back…

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Probably the same problem as this thread: 

which has just been declared as fixed in the update that came out yesterday (21 June 2022)

Happy I’ve found this thread but unfortunately, seems the Move might be playing up again. I’ve read through the thread and tried all suggestions but for the life of me I cannot get my Move to stream via Airplay from any iDevices via Apple Music yet I can stream via Airplay to my Beam (Gen 2) fine on the same network from all iDevices from Apple Music. 

The Move and Beam are setup fine on my Sonos account and both are visible in Airplay on Apple Music on my iDevices but no matter what when I cast via Airplay on any iDevice to the Move from Apple Music, the move hits me with ‘Unable to connect to ‘Sonos Move’’. To compound matters my partners android phone can cast to the Move fine and Spotify Connect works fine to the Move on all iDevices so it leads me think its some Airplay/Apple Music iDevice protocol issue. I can use Apple Music on the Move fine on my iDevices using the SONOS companion app. 

Move and Beam both updated to 14.16 and S2 - any suggestions before I drop-kick the Move into the stratosphere? 

Hi Sonos,

I have three Sonos Move speakers. I met similar situation that ahcl20 encountered. I remember that several months ago I could see three Sonos devices in Airplay list in my iPhone & iPad. But since June, I only see one of them in Airplay list. I want to see all of the three Sonos Move speakers. Could some Sonos engineer help me to solve the problem? 

It may be time to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

Sure. Submit a diagnostic when you’ve experienced this issue, and contact Sonos support. Let them look at the diagnostic, and give you information about what the hard data is showing.

Hi Sonos,

I have three Sonos Move speakers. I met similar situation that ahcl20 encountered. I remember that several months ago I could see three Sonos devices in Airplay list in my iPhone & iPad. But since June, I only see one of them in Airplay list. I want to see all of the three Sonos Move speakers. Could some Sonos engineer help me to solve the problem? 

Assuming you have already tried the suggestions mentioned in the thread here, then I would submit a Sonos diagnostic report from the ‘Settings/Support’ area of the Sonos App

Make a note of the reference number generated and perhaps post it back here.

Then, when available, contact/chat to Sonos Support Staff about the matter via this LINK and see what they can suggest to resolve the matter.