Answered

Roam Won't Turn On... I've tried the "hold the button for 12 sec"

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I read the whole thing:

charge it

hold the button on the back for 12-15 seconds

This doesn’t work. 

When I am charging it, the orange light is indicated on the front of the speaker

icon

Best answer by ctweichmann 5 January 2023, 19:16

View original

51 replies

If I remember properly, the orange light indicates the Roam hasn’t been set up all the way, or isn’t making connection to your network. You may want to check here. It’s also possible that it’s not charging all the way, what is the voltage and amperage on your charger, and what method are you using, direct USB connection, or the charging base? How are trying to connect, via the Sonos app, or Bluetooth?

Also, have you tried to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I had it on the charging base when I left last week for my trip. I used it before I left on Bluetooth and WiFi. 

the app said it was disconnected. 

no clue how to check voltage or amperage. I have tried it with a wall plug. I have tried it with a brick charger. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Oh dang it. I clicked the check mark to indicate I did that. This hasn't been answered. 

I am using a stronger charger to try that

I called and waited on hold for 45 min. They suggested the charger

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

There isn't a way to unmark this as answered? This website is so frustrating

Oh dang it. I clicked the check mark to indicate I did that. This hasn't been answered. 

Is the charger PD certified and if so, what is the power output (Volts x Amps?). If not sure, maybe post a screenshot of the charger info. printed on the device. You ideally need at least 5v x 2A = 10watts to get the Roam going. I personally tend to use 5v x 3A = 15 watts.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Is the charger PD certified and if so, what is the power output (Volts x Amps?). If not sure, maybe post a screenshot of the charger info. printed on the device. You ideally need at least 5v x 2A = 10watts to get the Roam going. I personally tend to use 5v x 3A = 15 watts.

I was using the cord they gave me. Then I got the wireless dock. I have been using that for 11 months with no issue. 

I am now trying to charge it plugged in with a 5v2a setup 

I was using the cord they gave me. Then I got the wireless dock. I have been using that for 11 months with no issue. 

I am now trying to charge it plugged in with a 5v2a setup 

The USB-C cord is probably irrelevant. The Qi (wireless) charger is never going to be as effective as charging via USB-C - I think its maximum is 5w. I would just ensure the charger you are using is PD certified, as if not, you might otherwise get a spike in the power-output that can damage the Roam and that would likely stop it charging altogether.

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

sadly, the roam has died… and unfortunately, Sonos doesn’t stand behind its products more than a year. so this will become eWaste on our planet. huge disappointment with this. Now I am stuck with a $50 charging base that I can’t use. 

/s It’s good to see Sonos is standing behind their mission: “Help the world listen better.”

Same issue here. Roam is dead after 18 months. Out of warranty. Way too short a life for a product like this. 

Orange light when charging with cord. Unable to reset or turn on/off. 

Same issue here. Roam is dead after 18 months. Out of warranty. Way too short a life for a product like this. 

Orange light when charging with cord. Unable to reset or turn on/off. 

I also just started having this same exact issue.  It has sat on its wireless base since I got it and now it won’t turn on at all.   I only get the orange light while charging. 

Best bet would be to call Sonos Support directly to discuss it. If there’s some sort of hardware failure, there isn’t anything this community can do. 

Badge

Same issue for me.  Unit just died for no apparent reason.  Noticed no lights were on when it was on the charging base so tried to turn it on.  No response.  Read a lot of the troubleshooting steps in this forum and none of them resulted in any response.  I did plug it into a 5V/3A PD charger overnight.  When plugged into that charger the orange light on the bottom came on (and stayed lit) so I was hopeful.  But still no response to any power button presses after a night of charging.

Just chatted with support and they said the unit is not salvageable and offered 30% discount on another product.

See lots of other threads on here about similar issues.  Seems like the Roam might have a major flaw.  If that’s the case, it’s disappointing that Sonos is apparently not standing behind this one.  30% discount is not an adequate response.

i was one of the early adopters with getting it shortly after launch, so definitely over 12 months ago and find it great for when I’m in the garage or garden.

Just for balance, I’ve had a similar issue where it would not turn on, would not reset. I couldn’t even get lights tk come on when charging. I have tried charging with the Sonos Wireless charger and also the USB. Nothing.

After spending a bit of time on a call to Sonos Technical they are sending me a replacement. I’m sorry that others have not had this experience, but just wanted to add balance for anybody else that finds this on Google (like I did) and to highlight, it’s always worth making the call to CS yourself, despite any negative experiences of others

This is wierd, I've just been away for a week and the Roam (which I've had for about 18 months also) won't turn on. It was working fine before I left. The orange light is indicated as I have tried charging with USB-C but does not respond when I try to turn it on.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

This is wierd, I've just been away for a week and the Roam (which I've had for about 18 months also) won't turn on. It was working fine before I left. The orange light is indicated as I have tried charging with USB-C but does not respond when I try to turn it on.

Maybe the battery has drained deeply…

You can try the following steps:

Make sure Roam is connected via usb c to power device with at least 10W. Let it charge for some ours…

Try to turn it on or to make a forced restart (golding power button for about 13 seconds. 
Last chace would be a factory reset. 
If nothing is successful reach out for the support team. 

I read the whole thing:

charge it

hold the button on the back for 12-15 seconds

This doesn’t work.

When I am charging it, the orange light is indicated on the front of the speaker

If your Roam device won't turn on even after holding the button for 12 seconds, there may be a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue:

1. Check the battery level: Make sure the device is charged and the battery is not drained. Try charging the device for a few minutes and then attempt to turn it on again.

2. Reset the device: Sometimes a device reset can fix the issue. Press and hold the button for about 30 seconds to perform a hard reset. Then try turning it on again.

3. Contact customer support: If the above steps don't work, you can contact Roam's customer support for assistance. They may have additional troubleshooting steps or recommend sending in the device for repair or replacement.

Maybe the battery has drained deeply…

You can try the following steps:

Make sure Roam is connected via usb c to power device with at least 10W. Let it charge for some ours…

Try to turn it on or to make a forced restart (golding power button for about 13 seconds. 
Last chace would be a factory reset. 
If nothing is successful reach out for the support team. 

Hi,

It’s on it’s way back to the support centre in Poland - did not charge at all. 

Was my favourite Sonos device as well.

Userlevel 7
Badge +13

@jmkingsbury 

Thx for feedback…

Batteries often are causing problems becaue Sonos depends on the manufacturers quality control. 
But as you can see Sonos support is great and i‘m sure Roam will stay your favorite one. 😉

Just want to add my name to the list of people experiencing dead Roam. For what its worth, mine was portable in name only, was used as a kitchen speaker 90% of the time, sat on the charging base. Seems my better half moved it and put it back on the base upside down leading to power drain and now it’s dead.

My soundfreaq Sound Kick has been left uncharged for a couple of years and fired right up when plugged in, was a fraction of the cost of the Roam. This is undoubtedly a quality control issue that Sonos are hoping to ignore. They should repair/ replace every single one of these IMO.

Just want to add my name to the list of people experiencing dead Roam. For what its worth, mine was portable in name only, was used as a kitchen speaker 90% of the time, sat on the charging base. Seems my better half moved it and put it back on the base upside down leading to power drain and now it’s dead.

My soundfreaq Sound Kick has been left uncharged for a couple of years and fired right up when plugged in, was a fraction of the cost of the Roam. This is undoubtedly a quality control issue that Sonos are hoping to ignore. They should repair/ replace every single one of these IMO.

A Roam can be off its charger for many weeks and will fire back up straight away when connected to a PD certified charger - had you perhaps switched off its ‘battery saver’ feature, which is designed to power off the device completely after 30 minutes of inactivity?

The Wife and I have each had a Roam since they first launched a couple of years ago and not seen any issues with their batteries - they still provide all-day playback from a single charge and will charge back to 100% in under 2hrs 30mins. We also have two of the larger Sonos ‘Move’ speakers (had those about 3-4 years and their batteries have stayed working fine too.

I’ve left those bigger speakers in the Garden overnight having played them all afternoon/evening and they always immediately spring back to life when placed on their charger loop. The Sonos  ‘battery saver’ feature has always worked well for our devices.

Note: We do only ever use the Sonos provided, or PD-certified, chargers with our products, so maybe that’s a factor here too - I’ve not seen many users mention that they returned their Sonos charger along with their Roam to Sonos, so I’m wondering if the charger used perhaps was not an official product and maybe also not PD-certified, in some cases.., just as a thought🤔?

Thanks for the reply Ken. It’s simply not been my experience. I’ve tried to charge my roam now on several PD certified charges and frankly it’s dead, I get an orange light and no combination of button presses and charge time makes a difference. 

judging by the multitude of threads on several websites on this topic I’d say you should feel blessed you haven’t had an issue. 

And FWIW I’ve not had one minutes issue with my Move. Like you I’ve left mine outside and it’s been bulletproof. My Roam is faulty. I’ve no doubt about it. 

Thanks for the reply Ken. It’s simply not been my experience. I’ve tried to charge my roam now on several PD certified charges and frankly it’s dead, I get an orange light and no combination of button presses and charge time makes a difference. 

judging by the multitude of threads on several websites on this topic I’d say you should feel blessed you haven’t had an issue. 

And FWIW I’ve not had one minutes issue with my Move. Like you I’ve left mine outside and it’s been bulletproof. My Roam is faulty. I’ve no doubt about it. 

Clearly I (or many other users here) cannot rule out a fault with any Sonos product as we don’t have the tools, or access, to check such things… that’s an issue you would need to take-up with Sonos Support etc.

My post here earlier, is based on the experience the Wife and I have had with our Roams, but just to add my grandson has a Roam too and he’s not had any issues. Statistically, I’m sure some small percentage, of the many hundreds/thousands of Roams sold maybe faulty, but that’s where the warranty cover (or extended warranty cover) comes into play.

Many of our home electrical devices are covered for Five years here anyway, as I’ve been ‘bitten’ in the distant-past with a Bang & Olufsen TV that failed shortly out of warranty - so I tend to shell-out a little extra cash these days, for that extra peace of mind… if the Roam is within warranty, then speak with Support via their usual LINK.

Reporting same issue. Roam no longer charges or powers on. The orange light stays on when plugged in to the charger but is not responsive to the power button for powering on or resetting. Light does not come on at all unless plugged in to USB-C charger. Will try contacting support to see what happens. This is disappointing given how many Sonos products I have purchased and invested in. I have bought a Five, Sub, Arc, 2 Play 1’s, Beam, 2 Moves, Era 300, and 1 Roam that is a paper weight now.

Providing an update. This is what Sonos support will tell you about this issue. “I'm afraid that according to the information from our system, your Sonos Roam is out of warranty since MM/DD/YYYY. For this replacement, we can offer a 30% discount on the replacement unit since it is outside the warranty period. You will need to send your unit back to us, and we'll be sending you a coupon code you can use on sonos.com to get a product or set of speakers. Please, let me know if you want to proceed with this process. It will be a pleasure to help you.” So basically, it’s a product that dies with a poor quality power issue. Don’t buy the Roam. Other speakers are good, but stay away from the Roam.