Answered

Roam Won't Turn On... I've tried the "hold the button for 12 sec"

• 2 January 2023
  • 58 replies

Show first post

58 replies

Saying not using a PD charger or a charger with a higher capacity than Roam requirements can cause damage is scaremongering and not true (except that it could be said ‘any’ charger could be faulty and cause ‘damage’) - yet you said both.  Contrary to what you say above, I never suggested asking if a PD charger was being used was scaremongering, that’s a silly twist of words to suit.

No - it’s merely a case that a PD certified charger from version 1.0 to 3.1 will work to charge the Roam - The 5v (@ 3A) is one of its dedicated voltages, (now upto a 240w capacity in the latest version) - so it should work - that’s the point. It’s not a twist at all.

I’m not ‘reading’ into anything - the other aspects were responding to points you wrongly made imho - especially the irrelevant Google, Apple assertions etc. to justify PD when Sonos has no need of it.

Yes although what I said is true, it is perhaps irrelevant and off topic in relation to the thread… but the justification is that a PD certified charger should work in every case to charge the Roam, unless of course it just happened to have a fault, or the cable is faulty. The discussion here though is pointless, as the charger being used was the proprietary Sonos charger anyway.🤷‍♂️ A good alternative however, is to still use a PD certified charger as it ‘will’ work in its place. There are other chargers that may not.

I just had the same issue, but it just is came back to life when I double charged it.  What is mean is putting it on a generic qi charger and also plugged in the USB c.  The orange light came on.  Than after 5 mins it fired up.  State of charge was low.  

May be give this a try. 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Same issue with my Roam. This is the 2nd one. These Roams are a piece of crap, I have had 2 die just after warranty… one at 15 months and the other at 18 months. Always used Sonos charger and base. They just stopped working! I got one back to life for a week on the Sonos charger with USB c but it is now done! For the very high cost of these Sonos should be standing behind their product, they don’t! 

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Same issue here. Roam is dead after 18 months. Out of warranty. Way too short a life for a product like this. 

Orange light when charging with cord. Unable to reset or turn on/off. 

I also just started having this same exact issue.  It has sat on its wireless base since I got it and now it won’t turn on at all.   I only get the orange light while charging. 

Happened to 2 of mine…both toast according to Sonos! They recommend buying 2 new ones at a discount directly from them. Complicated process to buy them and the discount is only 30% (which is actually their dealer wholesale) soooo Sonos is making their full margins on the sale! Ripoff!

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

Only option is to try and replace battery…Sonos won’t do it or provide details on doing it but you can buy batteries on Amazon (a good company with great customer service, something Sonos could learn from!) and instructions available on YouTube. Waiting for a battery now and will respond if successful. Have no idea why Sonos doesn’t build a roam with replaceable batteries or offer a service to do so??? Even Apple will change batteries for their clients. It’s time Sonos starts to back up their products and would be really nice if they provided customer support 24/7 or at least 16/7. 

Only option is to try and replace battery…Sonos won’t do it or provide details on doing it but you can buy batteries on Amazon (a good company with great customer service, something Sonos could learn from!) and instructions available on YouTube. Waiting for a battery now and will respond if successful. Have no idea why Sonos doesn’t build a roam with replaceable batteries or offer a service to do so??? Even Apple will change batteries for their clients. It’s time Sonos starts to back up their products and would be really nice if they provided customer support 24/7 or at least 16/7. 

I believe Sonos will replace the unit (2 year warranty in the UK) IIRC … and/or there is their own, (or other companies), extended warranty scheme… plus in some regions, you may get a POS warranty. I think smarthome sounds, as an example, provide 6 years cover for the Roam 2. You may find similar outlets that do the same/similar offer.

https://www.smarthomesounds.co.uk/sonos-roam-2

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

I believe Sonos will replace the unit (2 year warranty in the UK) IIRC … and/or there is their own, (or other companies), extended warranty scheme… plus in some regions, you may get a POS warranty. I think smarthome sounds, as an example, provide 6 years cover for the Roam 2. You may find similar outlets that do the same/similar offer.

https://www.smarthomesounds.co.uk/sonos-roam-2

Looks like Sonos takes better care of clients in UK…not the case in North America. 1 year warranty, no exceptions and then they offer you a 30% discount on a new one. Mine were both less than 2 years old and always charged on Sonos base and charger. This is a known and pretty common occurrence. Yet they have done nothing to address it. And for some reason both went down separately after last few updates!! These updates may cause a battery ghost drain. The worst part is their customer support here is brutal (long waits, only available Monday to Friday during day and no real technical knowledge). And the offer of a “complicated” 30% discount, that still gives Sonos corporate full profit, is insulting. It’s almost a scam in my opinion…hopefully a new battery replacement is able to save them from the landfill.

Userlevel 1

Same trouble here. No light except when device is wired (infinite red light) I think that firmware update was killing this device. This product never worked correctly. Faulty by design.