Answered

The App sucks

• 21 September 2023
  • 23 replies

“Beam, Sub Mini, 2 x Sonos One SL. The App SUUUUUUCCCCKKKKSSSSS. It took me 5 weeks just to get the thing working and it kept cutting out. Then this morning a power outage and the freakin thing is out again.

Moderator Note: Modified in accordance with the Community Code of Conduct.

icon

Best answer by jgatie 22 September 2023, 01:08

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

23 replies

Fix your network.

Trading is not permitted here. The mods have been notified.

Trading is not permitted here. The mods have been notified.

That’s right.  And there are no exceptions from this rule.

For starters, my network works great. I don’t anticipate selling anything on this format. My point is that the app to run these speakers is absolute garbage. And as long as people continue to support the app it will remain garbage.

my network works great. 

Er, no.

It took me 5 weeks just to get the thing working and it kept cutting out. Then this morning a power outage and the freakin thing is not working again. 

Userlevel 7

What’s so great about Sonos is people really love their speakers and are happy with the app, so you shouldn’t have any issues selling your Sonos speakers and getting most of your money back.

Well Rat,

I play several online games, Star Citizen for one and I’m running on average 90 fps.

I’m not a computer geek I still work on average 45 hours a week and have a life away from the computer. So setting down for hours on end to set up something that should be a plug and play system. Seems to me the app is for tracking and selling data.

Well Rat,

I play several online games, Star Citizen for one and I’m running on average 90 fps.

I’m not a computer geek I still work on average 45 hours a week and have a life away from the computer. So setting down for hours on end to set up something that should be a plug and play system. Seems to me the app is for tracking and selling data.

A single gaming console is nothing compared to wireless speakers which must be in communication hundreds of times a second to keep in sync.  Your network could be riddled with things like duplicate IP addresses and your game wouldn’t miss a step, whereas Sonos would be crippled.  15 years I’ve been participating here, and I can count on one hand the number of times symptoms like yours were not solved by fixing a wonky network. 

So do you want to fix your network, or not? 

FYI, the app doesn’t run your Sonos system any more than your remote control runs your TV.

If you have suggestions I will look into them.

So why the need for an app?

Why the need for a remote control for your TV set? Something has to tell the system what to do.

If you have suggestions I will look into them.

Power outages that cause Sonos problems are almost always due to network problems, specifically IP conflicts.  These often show up after a power outage because a reboot requires the device to request a new IP, and the router, having lost track of prior IP assignments, issues a new IP that is in use by another device.  To cure this, do the following:

Reboot/power cycle your devices in the following order:

Modem
Router
Switches or hubs
Wired Sonos units
Wireless Sonos units
Computers/printers
Wireless devices - phones/tablets etc.

Allow each device to come back up before proceeding to the next.  Note that you can permanently prevent duplicate IP addresses by assigning an IP to each device's MAC address in the router setup.  See your router manual for details.

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Funny, with all that work you never came across the, often suggested in these forums, fix for issues like you describe?

• jgatie     Thank you, I will look into this information. The power outage was from a transformer down the road, not an in house issue.

• Airgetlam     Its a freaking speaker system, we’ve had speakers for at least the 60 years I’ve been alive. You plug them in or hook them up and they freaking work, there speakers.

• Stanley_4    I sent two requests for help thru the SONO’s website with no response  “not the community platform”, which I did this morning.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

• Airgetlam     Its a freaking speaker system, we’ve had speakers for at least the 60 years I’ve been alive. You plug them in or hook them up and they freaking work, there speakers.

Those are passive speakers. The difference is with internet enabled wifi devices like Sonos you expect much more (they have their own amp, you want them to connect to music services via the internet, they need to play in sync and be safe contacting the internet). So there's much more to go wrong than a simple crossed speaker wire.

• Stanley_4    I sent two requests for help thru the SONO’s website with no response  “not the community platform”, which I did this morning.

Did you send diagnoses? Because, as Sonos mentions, you need to contact them to make them have a look at those: https://support.sonos.com/article/submit-diagnostics

• . The power outage was from a transformer down the road, not an in house issue.

Power outages and restores can be much more complex than simply throwing an ON/OFF switch or rebooting something. During the power event some items on the network may have been fully rebooted, while others were not -- resulting in an unstable network. Fully rebooting everything as suggested, then reserving IP addresses will cure and minimize the risk of similar future issues.

We cannot rule out hardware damage caused by wild voltage transients associated with the transformer failure. In this sort of situation many of the most dangerous transients often occur as power is restored. While you cannot prevent the power system failure, I recommend disconnecting all sensitive equipment from the power line until power is fully restored and stable. During a power line failure, you’ll observe me crawling through the house unplugging everything.

• Its a freaking speaker system, we’ve had speakers for at least the 60 years I’ve been alive. You plug them in or hook them up and they freaking work, there speakers.

Nope. They’re little computers. Each one of them. Like all smart speakers in fact.

• jgatie     Thank you, I will look at these.

The app absolutely sucks. It disconnects every 15 seconds and takes an entire minute to load a song into cue. Sonos 1 was far better. I don’t understand how this could’ve possibly been advised after product testing, if there was any done at all. Fix this dog water ASAP. It’s been years. 

If it’s disconnecting every 15 seconds, and taking a minute to load a song in the queue, you have local network issues, it isn’t the app. I would highly recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

If it’s disconnecting every 15 seconds, and taking a minute to load a song in the queue, you have local network issues, it isn’t the app. I would highly recommend that you submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your network and Sonos system.

Very responsive and I appreciate it. And I will speak to who u recommended. But I do wanna say that there’s no way this is the case, as I live in two separate places, and one of which has a far better wireless network, and it has the EXACT same issues. Thanks again, but I do think the app is to blame. Especially since the first app never gave such issues. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

If you had an S1 system first and you are now in S2, did you maybe also switch from using an (S1 only) Sonos Bridge to a wifi connection? That would make it even more logical your network is to blame.