Spotify Connect, serious competition

• 3 September 2013
  • 254 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

254 replies

Userlevel 1
^ answer my question...

Maybe if you gave people more than two and half minutes to formulate a reply they might do, we're not all on speed here.

Incidentally, we'all here aren't going to do anything about anything because we're not Sonos employees, we're just users, like you, so it's a waste of time imploring us to do anything, we have no say in the matter. But you know that already.
Certainly if Sonos wants to do it with Google, they will want to do it with Spotify? So what's holding it up?

I don't know..

That's why I asked the question

You haven't answered it...
If the problem is with Spotify (and not Sonos)..why is it that Spotify connect is available within Bluesound but not Sonos?

If the problem is with Sonos and not Spotify, why is Google Play Music perfectly able to stream directly from the GPM Android app to any and all Sonos speakers? And it works fantastically! All GPM features available in perfect sync over any and all Sonos speakers. Certainly if Sonos wants to do it with Google, they will want to do it with Spotify? So what's holding it up?

Oh, and by the way, Google actually makes a profit, unlike Spotify, which loses millions a year.
^ answer my question...
If the problem is with Spotify (and not Sonos)..why is it that Spotify connect is available within Bluesound but not Sonos?
We should have a special part of the Forum where every disgruntled / disillusioned Sonos owner can sell their equipment cheaply to the rest of us (happy/contented Sonos customers) ... while they still have the chance and the market crashes :D

wappinghigh has been making these over-the-top posts raising a this, that, or another death knell prediction for Sonos every 6 months or so for as long as I've been here. Airplay, Apple should buy Sonos, Apple DRM, 24/96 support, Spotify Connect, Sonos should make it's own modem/router/ripper/NAS/server/etc., and on and on and on.

And yet, he still hasn't sold his system, so looking for bargains from him is quite futile. :rolleyes:
I don't have skin in the game..
Because you've sold your Sonos kit? Excellent. Bye.
^ LOl..

Ya'll just sit on ya hands here and do nothing to the Sonos experience: other than what appears to be a rather pathetic attempt by Sonos to block Spotify here..(do correct me if my impression is wrong)

...and watch the music streaming world pass you by...

I don't care.

I don't have skin in the game..

Many of you clearly do..

Is that Bias?

I think it is....
Feel free to email John MacFarlane and give him the benefit of your forensic business analysis.

If he e-mails the way he posts, MacFarlane's inbox will be filled by noon. :rolleyes:
Heeeeee's Baaaaaaaack!!!! :rolleyes:
If Sonos users can't see why Spotify Connect isn't a serious threat to Sonos's very existence: if/once Spotify get multizone sync happening...
Feel free to email John MacFarlane and give him the benefit of your forensic business analysis.
Have you used Spotify Connect? What do you like about it?

I don't know what else to say..

If Sonos users can't see why Spotify Connect isn't a serious threat to Sonos's very existence: if/once Spotify get multizone sync happening...

Well..

Well..

Userlevel 1
^
It's a very fast changing world out there..

Sonos is crazy not to take this extremely seriously.....

You're right on the first part, in five years time Spotify could be bankrupt, they still haven't made a profit yet (far from it). I'll take them seriously when they start showing they can make enough money to survive, their backers won't allow the losses to continue indefinitely.
^
It's a very fast changing world out there..

Sonos is crazy not to take this extremely seriously.....
Userlevel 2
Badge +7
We should have a special part of the Forum where every disgruntled / disillusioned Sonos owner can sell their equipment cheaply to the rest of us (happy/contented Sonos customers) ... while they still have the chance and the market crashes 😃
Is Sonos going to fight *every* music streaming service?
Because suddenly the entire Sonos experience becomes irrelevant...

A Spotify user doesn't need Sonos anymore...

Next it will be a Pandora user who doesn't need Sonos..

Then a Rdio user..

(...if All the streaming services start following Spotify with a similar "connect" offering......)
^ Ok..

Then take out the 24 bit comment.

They will lose vs Spotify Connect in 16 bit..

Sonos is in trouble with this... even in 16 bit....

Serious trouble IMHO..
The SONOS control API has been open since day one. Anyone who understands UPnP can control SONOS. Check The Unsupported Area for some project ideas.

Also, SONOS has used 24 bits internally since day one. While 24 and 32 bits are very handy during production in the studio, other than satisfying a fundamentalist marketing "check box", no one has been able to construct a peer reviewed experimental protocol that can demonstrate any benefit to rendering the music in 24 bits. Sending 24 bits over the network, particularly a wireless network, will downgrade overall system scope and robustness. One of the reasons why a SONOS works as well as it does is because the networking is so robust. This is the real reason why SONOS is the market leader.

If the fundamentalists win the 24-bit "check box" war, we will experience more connectivity issues and it will be a hollow "win".

Besides, why settle for 192/24 when 384/32 is available and playback equipment already exists?
I'm telling you I believe Sonos is in trouble on this.

If they fight Spotify: they will lose.

I'm with everyone who thinks: Wake up Sonos!!!

The Spotify music experience is NOT hardware dependant for playback . The Sonos one is.

Game over IMHO, Unless Sonos radically changes their attitude.. and FAST....
http://www.engadget.com/2014/06/09/spotify-now-handles-multi-room-streaming-on-samsung-devices/

I posted this in another thread, but it is interesting that you can now play to multiple rooms at once with Spotify Connect on the Samsung Shape speaker system.

^ ...Yes and with Bluesound as well.. (24 bit capable)
Userlevel 1
Spotify Connect (with multiroom sync)

Potentially 24 bit

Really? In what way? Spotify doesn't even stream lossless 16-bit audio yet, suggesting it may support 24-bit is a ridiculous thing to say.
If Spotify can get "Connect" happening in Sync with multiple devices.... why is there any need for Sonos at all?

Sonos:

No 24 bit
No software zone
No throw track from iphone to another device..
Locked down development: inhibiting embedment of playback into other devices

Spotify Connect (with multiroom sync)

Potentially 24 bit
Software (win/ios/android/OSX) zone
Pick up from iphone and throw to another zone..
Open source encouragement of embedment into other hardware
Userlevel 2
Badge
I like Spotify, but recently started using Google instead -- at first because the Radio functionality in Google works on SONOS and Spotify's doesn't.

But now that I get deeper into it, I'm finding near parity for my purposes. Pretty impressive, really.

And later this year when Amazon's streaming service hits SONOS, that may really seal the deal, since I'm already paying that one, anyway, and my tastes can lag the market by six months, no problem....and I'll have Beats in my back pocket, just in case.

....but anyway, my point is, I wouldn't have tried something other than Spotify EXCEPT that Spotify's API is so limited that the experience was lacking on the SONOS. Spotify drove me away.

And I discovered excellent replacements. Spotify is hurting themself.