Spotify Connect, serious competition

• 3 September 2013
  • 254 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

254 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
with the demise of Rdio Ive got increasingly worried about Spotify. Whilst they remain my provider of choice and I have 2 'Spotify Connect' devices (one to feed Sonos and the other a battery powered, splashproof speaker), this kit will become pretty useless if spotify dies since the rest of the functionality is pretty dire in comparison to Sonos ! Lets hope they turn a profit soon or they can be added to the growing number of failed online music services.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Sugr Sweet, best take note of this section of Sonos Community Code of Conduct:

- Keep it spam-free. The Sonos Community is provided as a service to Sonos customers and is not intended for the promotion of third party services, products, websites, or organizations. Please refrain from posting content that would constitute advertising, junk mail, spam, chain letters, or any other form of unauthorized solicitation.
I've invested Heavily into Sonos (Playbar, Sub, Play 5, 2 Play 3's and a Play 1), and am moving into a new house this weekend. I need more speakers, but I won't invest anymore into Sonos until I hear they are adding the ability to play spotify onto Sonos directly from the spotify app.

The Sonos app is fine, and has come a long way. However, I prefer using the spotify app, and can't justify the cost of additional Sonos components anymore without this functionality. Especially since other respected names are starting to add this functionality: http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/bose-tries-to-touch-sonos-with-new-soundtouch-speakers-1306394

"Starting early next year, Bose will be implementing Spotify integration across all its products with the addition of Spotify Connect to its SoundTouch app. Users will be able to switch seamlessly between their SoundTouch and Spotify apps, and both apps will be able to control SoundTouch devices directly."

How is it that Bose is able to add this capability, but Sonos isn't?

Spotify Connect can only stream music from Spotify app to authorized devices. So l dont think Spotity would agree any devices to use spotify directly in the third party's app. Any devices with app application would like to add the Spotify Connect, they need apply to Spotify, once get through, it will be listed under Spotify official web. Send it for your reference.
http://spotifygear.com/type/wifi-speakers/

Maybe you will find sth you like.Hope it would be helpful.
Badge +20
As someone who has devices that supports Spotify Connect you will find one major flaw. It only allows you to use one stream at the time, on other words you cannot play two dirrent tracks at the same time. Granted that you could group your players and have the same One Direction hit throughout the house.
"Bose tries to touch Sonos with new SoundTouch speakers"

Gee, I thought Bose was trying to beat Sonos with their last branding of wireless multi-room streaming speakers? The ones that everyone claimed were "Sonos Killers" because they supported Airplay, and had hard buttons.
Userlevel 1
I've invested Heavily into Sonos (Playbar, Sub, Play 5, 2 Play 3's and a Play 1), and am moving into a new house this weekend. I need more speakers, but I won't invest anymore into Sonos until I hear they are adding the ability to play spotify onto Sonos directly from the spotify app.

The Sonos app is fine, and has come a long way. However, I prefer using the spotify app, and can't justify the cost of additional Sonos components anymore without this functionality. Especially since other respected names are starting to add this functionality: http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/bose-tries-to-touch-sonos-with-new-soundtouch-speakers-1306394

"Starting early next year, Bose will be implementing Spotify integration across all its products with the addition of Spotify Connect to its SoundTouch app. Users will be able to switch seamlessly between their SoundTouch and Spotify apps, and both apps will be able to control SoundTouch devices directly."

How is it that Bose is able to add this capability, but Sonos isn't?
Always amusing to revisit these old "Sonos is DOOMED!" Threads.

Two years later, Spotify Connect has apparently had such a small impact that the Spotify app now supports Chromecast. The Spotify integration into Sonos has been redone with new features (so I've read, I don't use Spotify). Sonos is stronger than ever, with new products and game-changing room correction.

What will be the next "Sonos killer"? 🙂
instead of showing up every 6 months to spout your manic word vomit all over the place, you would know this. :rolleyes:

Well you do the same here everyday .... and as such should know not to start getting personal with your attacks.

Wapping High have you even tried Spotify Connect? You have strong opinions on it but have you even tried it?
^ Thanks for your overwhelming support for me as a loyal user of this product and fellow forum member. I only wish to make the product better for everyone by asking for better features like 24bit, software zones and now 100% compatibility with one of the most popular music streaming services on the planet (Spotify connect). So it can remain the number ONE best multiroom streaming platform on the planet, and there is ZERO risk of it *ever* losing market share. For I feel every potential or real churn from the product is truly a tragedy. I am so sorry for coming on every six months or so to find out the status quo of the product and wasting all of your time. Now I have discovered the accurate information as to the true reasons why some of these potentially great features are not allowed or cannot be made available, or seem to be flatly refused to be implemented by Sonos: I will not bother you again for another 6 or so months... Thanks for your time. Cheers. 🙂
The big question is without full co-operation with the music service companies, can Sonos remain the leader in this field in the future..? Particularly as new entrants like Bluesound (who appear to have this co-operation) enter the market...

The first time you questioned Sonos' ability to remain in the market vs. the competition was in 2007. You've questioned it ever since, for various and sundry reasons, none of which hold any water. You ought to start questioning your analysis of the market, instead of questioning Sonos.
So there clearly has been a fall out with Spotify. And if that report is factual, It's Sonos that is blocking things here.. OK.. So I was simply providing feedback to Sonos, that as a Spotify user I'm not happy with this. I'd rather Sonos co-operate. So they have blocked it because they are developing their own stream to a Sonos speaker like service with other music streaming services??. How about telling us which which ones they are going to move into bed with, so I can move on and not waste a heap more time getting deeper into Spotify . Why all the "mystery".?.How about treating loyal Sonos customers with some facts for a change.. That report was like a year ago. Which music services are going to have a "play on Sonos" app button? Thanks.

Jeebus Christmas dude!!! Sonos and Google Play Music have coordinated to have a "Play on Sonos" casting button from their app on Android devices. It is either not possible, or blocked by Apple, on Apple devices. If you would maybe pay attention to this forum, instead of showing up every 6 months to spout your manic word vomit all over the place, you would know this. :rolleyes:
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I believe that's because at the time Sonos clearly had the better product. It had the better GUI. But most importantly it had the better multiroom via network sync and party mode. Still does. 🙂

Clearly that was the reason Sqeeezbox floundered. Multiroom Squeeze was crap. With all due respect, it failing had nothing to do with the reasons you stated. Sonos was a better and premium multiroom experience.

Squeeze unfortunately was collateral damage in the Google TV / Logitech Revue debacle. Imagined deficiencies in multi room playback (which worked just fine) had nothing to do with it.
So there clearly has been a fall out with Spotify. And if that report is factual, It's Sonos that is blocking things here.. OK.. So I was simply providing feedback to Sonos, that as a Spotify user I'm not happy with this. I'd rather Sonos co-operate. So they have blocked it because they are developing their own stream to a Sonos speaker like service with other music streaming services??. How about telling us which which ones they are going to move into bed with, so I can move on and not waste a heap more time getting deeper into Spotify . Why all the "mystery".?.How about treating loyal Sonos customers with some facts for a change.. That report was like a year ago. Which music services are going to have a "play on Sonos" app button? Thanks.
Thanks. Appreciate it. Why did everyone just have a go at me, instead of linking me this thread??..

Now I've found the thread and this, things are explained alot: https://gigaom.com/2013/10/14/sonos-releases-new-200-speaker-ceo-dismisses-spotifys-connect-speaker-partnerships/
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
see also this thread about spotify connect
Logitech Squeezebox had 24 bit, a software zone, and an audiophile player. They went down in flames, leaving their abandoned users forced to cobble together makeshift players from Raspberry Pi computers.
I believe that's because at the time Sonos clearly had the better product. It had the better GUI. But most importantly it had the better multiroom via network sync and party mode. Still does. 🙂

Clearly that was the reason Sqeeezbox floundered. Multiroom Squeeze was crap. With all due respect, it failing had nothing to do with the reasons you stated. Sonos was a better and premium multiroom experience. The big question is without full co-operation with the music service companies, can Sonos remain the leader in this field in the future..? Particularly as new entrants like Bluesound (who appear to have this co-operation) enter the market...
Me, watching this thread...
http://www.reactiongifs.us/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/popcorn_seinfeld.gif
The overwhelming majority of customers (and more to the point, potential customers) don't care about 24 bit audio.

Why would they, how would they make money out of it?

The Connect gives a bit perfect output, nothing more is required, it's also Sonos' lowest seller unit, which just reinforces the first point that the market doesn't care about "audiophile" quality.

Logitech Squeezebox had 24 bit, a software zone, and an audiophile player. They went down in flames, leaving their abandoned users forced to cobble together makeshift players from Raspberry Pi computers.
Userlevel 1
..slowly but surely Sonos manages to annoy more and more of it's core user base...

No 24 bit file capability

The overwhelming majority of customers (and more to the point, potential customers) don't care about 24 bit audio.

No Software zone

Why would they, how would they make money out of it?

No audiophile quality zone

The Connect gives a bit perfect output, nothing more is required, it's also Sonos' lowest seller unit, which just reinforces the first point that the market doesn't care about "audiophile" quality.
..slowly but surely Sonos manages to annoy more and more of it's core user base...

No Software zone
Now this...

All perfectly logical and legitimate requests that seem to fall on deaf ears..

And all you can do is shoot the messenger...

Again, pause a second and use the quote function. Nobody can tell who is shooting who.

And FYI, Sonos has doubled their sales figures every year since 2010. That's not annoying customers, that is staggering growth of a customer base .

No Software zone
Now this...

All perfectly logical and legitimate requests that seem to fall on deaf ears..

And all you can do is shoot the messenger...
^ LOL

All in all it's just a...nother brick in the wall....

Pink Floyd
It is definitely a legitimate gripe that Sonos isn't supporting Spotify Connect and in the end, yes, it could deter potential buyers. Not having it really showcases how incomplete the Sonos integration is and people are noticing.

No one is disputing the inadequacy of the Spotify implementation on Sonos. It is certainly a legitimate gripe. However, you have to know the posting history of this particular griper, i.e. for the past 7 years, every 6 months or so he comes in here and shotguns out post after manic post about the next apocalyptic error by Sonos which is going to spell its imminent demise. Of course, every time he appears it is a different apocalyptic error, and every time Sonos miraculously survives the impending Armageddon. He's the Sonos Users Forum's very own Monster Shouter from Stephen King's The Stand.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Does anyone still use Spotify? That's a ridiculous question.

It is definitely a legitimate gripe that Sonos isn't supporting Spotify Connect and in the end, yes, it could deter potential buyers. Not having it really showcases how incomplete the Sonos integration is and people are noticing.

I've tried pretty much every service out there and none of them are as good as Spotify on a wide range of devices so please don't tell me to "just use Google, Rdio, etc". Sure others could be better on just Sonos alone but then fall short on mobile and desktop.
Does anyone still use Spotify? :)

In the US, Deezer is lossless and just slightly more expensive if one buys "in bulk" (big chunk of time).

Beats is working on rolling out $5 monthly lossy streaming.

I guess I agree with the OP premise if all one cares about is Spotify streaming. Otherwise, it's trolling.

I do find it curious that the latest flurry of posts about Spotify Connect (at 320kbps) being the imminent downfall of Sonos is by the very same person who predicted back in 2007 that lack of 24/96 hires capability would be the imminent downfall of Sonos. I dare say his market analysis is not one I would follow if I wish to make any cash.