Event

Era 100 & 300 Q&A Thread for 2nd August event (Concluded)

Era 100 & 300 Q&A Thread for 2nd August event (Concluded)
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

Hi all,

Have you seen the event? If not you can find the Era Q&A session here.

Unsure what to ask Ross & Ryan at the Era event? We have some content to inspire your questions.

Our own community announcements for Era 100 and Era 300 are a great place to start, and the global Era announcement is a great follow-up for all the details. We also have a great guide on the Era family created by Ed Gillet, that dives a bit deeper into the Era family.
Some new questions might have come up with all the “basic” information covered.
What questions do you have for Ryan Moore and the team about Era 100 and 300? Anything that comes to mind? Anything new you want to know?

Looking forward to seeing you there!

Did you miss the livestream? Don’t worry you can watch the recording here: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/sonos-live

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

My biggest question is will the Era line ever support SonosNet?

My home WiFi does not play well with Sonos and I’ve been using SonosNet and wired speakers and/or a Boost with great results for many years now.

I’ve passed on buying a Move or Roam just to avoid getting tangled up in trying to sort out my WiFi issues but I’d really like to add at least a couple Era 100s to my system.

Userlevel 7

Here are some questions about the Era 300. Some of these were posted on the Sonos subreddit a couple of weeks ago:

• When used as surrounds, the volume level of the inside-firing drivers of the Era 300 are a little lower than the outside drivers. Is this intentional?

• Is it possible to create separate surround sliders for the inside and outside drivers so the user can better balance each surround channel based on their specific room setup? Likewise, can you give users the ability to adjust the front and rear Height Levels separately?

• Can you explain the decision to disable the front-facing driver on the Era 300 when used as surrounds? Is it possible to give the user the option to enable the front driver (at least for music playback) with a future software update?

• When used as surrounds, what is the ideal placement of the Era 300s? How far should they be from your main listening position? Should they be angled directly towards your listening position or facing the opposite wall directly? How far should they be placed from a back or side wall? What is the ideal ceiling height for the Era 300's upward-firing drivers?

• When used as surrounds and playing non-Atmos audio, I notice that the upward-firing driver on the Era 300 is still being used. Can you explain how the individual drivers on the Era 300 are used when playing different audio formats (Dolby Atmos, 7.1, 5.1, Stereo) in TV and music mode?

• Can you add a way to easily see if a song or album is in Dolby Atmos when searching for music directly from Apple Music or Amazon Music in the Sonos app?

• Is TIDAL Dolby Atmos support coming to the Sonos app?

• When will shorter or longer power cables be available for the Era speakers?

• What is the status of mounting the Era 300s upside down when used as surrounds? Does the latest Sonos software support this setup?

What went into the decision to use a USB-C port for network connection, analog audio, and not for digital audio?

Are there any new features/enhancements to the Era 100 or 300 that you can tell us about?

Is ‘Era N00’ going to be the naming convention for all Sonos products going forward, or is it just these two speakers or just certain products?

Was the Era 300 thought of a replacement of, or perhaps inspired by, the Play:3 in any way?

What aspects of the Sonos One did you specifically feel needed to be improved upon in creating the Era 100?

In designing the Era 100 and 300, how much emphasize was put on the audio quality as a single speaker, ‘stereo pair’, or as surround speakers?

TIA

Please improve 300 music listening experience in home theater setup. I use Amazon unlimited streaming. Most music available is ultra hd or hd. It sounds great. However it seems that era 300 is geared more towards home theater surround sound and dolby atmos music. I believe 300 speakers should do a better job of enhancing any music listening experience regardless of configuration.

Please improve 300 music listening experience in home theater setup. I use Amazon unlimited streaming. Most music available is ultra hd or hd. It sounds great. However it seems that era 300 is geared more towards home theater surround sound and dolby atmos music. I believe 300 speakers should do a better job of enhancing any music listening experience regardless of configuration.

Disable ‘Spatial Music’ in room settings?

A question about the event itself.  Will it be recorded and available for playback to any one who can’t attend the event live?

The Spatial music setting, immersive 3D music when available. My opinion, by disabling it I have noticed nothing different when streaming non dolby atmos music. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. The theater surround sound is excellent for watching tv or movies. They could be better for non atmos music play back. Why would enabling the front be a bad thing?  Before my 300s I uses OneSLs as surrounds. 300s much better for surround sound. Night and day. For music playback the ones are better for non atoms music as surrounds, 

The Spatial music setting, immersive 3D music when available. My opinion, by disabling it I have noticed nothing different when streaming non dolby atmos music. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel. The theater surround sound is excellent for watching tv or movies. They could be better for non atmos music play back. Why would enabling the front be a bad thing?  Before my 300s I uses OneSLs as surrounds. 300s much better for surround sound. Night and day. For music playback the ones are better for non atoms music as surrounds, 

It sounds like you’re asking for the option  for audio to come out of the main front driver on Era 300s to be turned on when playing stereo music sources.  This is a common request and pretty much the same as GuitarSupehero’s third bullet point. Not trying to knock you for asking, just looking to help clarify.

Would it be possible to enable the front-facing driver on the Era 300 when used as surrounds?

Would this and an additional On/Off and volume control for front-facing driver be considered?

Nitro

Are the Era 100’s capable of playing FLAC or any of the lossless formats thru Tidal ?

Are the Era 100’s capable of playing FLAC or any of the lossless formats thru Tidal, Amazon Unlimited, or Deezer?

Research has shown that listening to music can reduce anxiety, blood pressure, and pain as well as improve sleep quality, mood, mental alertness, and memory.

I don’t understand where the answers to questions are? My question shows 2-replies, but where are they? Please help.

Is there a link to a copy of the content of this event?

Userlevel 5

You can find the recording of the event here: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/sonos-live

In case you’re having troubles viewing the content, try to turn your adblocker(s) off.

Userlevel 2

Great Q&A session. 

I would love to have a feature that avoids re-running Trueplay each day and night. My den is both my home theater and my home office. I have the Ultimate Immersive Set with Arc, Sub Gen 3, 2xEra 300.

I enjoy *stereo* music during the day, which sounds best to me as just “Era 300 stereo pair plus Sub” (not HT Surround).  I also shift 1 Era 300 from across the room, so there is 1 Era 300 on each side of my desk. 

Watching a movie or TV at night means removing the stereo pair and Sub in the app and reconfiguring the Arc with HT Surround+Sub. Fair enough, but re-running Trueplay twice a day annoys everyone in the house, including me ;)

Can the Trueplay results from those 2 configurations be “stashed away” somewhere in “Trueplay results profiles”, so that I don’t need to re-run Trueplay twice a day?  After reconfiguring, I could just select the “Trueplay results profile” name.

I know this request has been asked several times, going back many years, but now it’s time. I’m sure this would benefit others. 

Any news? Please prioritize this feature, thanks. 

Got extra memory that I can insert into my older players to hold that extra piece of data?

Hi all,

Unsure what to ask Ross & Ryan at the Era event? We have some content to inspire your questions.

Our own community announcements for Era 100 and Era 300 are a great place to start, and the global Era announcement is a great follow-up for all the details. We also have a great guide on the Era family created by Ed Gillet, that dives a bit deeper into the Era family.
What questions do you have for Ryan Moore and the team about Era 100 and 300? Anything that comes to mind? Anything new you want to know?

Did you miss the livestream? Don’t worry you can watch the recording here: https://www.sonos.com/en-us/sonos-live

Hi Mike, I couldn’t view the event as the link took me to a blank page, as does that for the recording. I know others had this problem as there were comments on Sonos’ Twitter. Do we know why this issue occurred and could the video be added to YouTube maybe, so I and others can view? Just as the recording link still doesn’t work for me (I’ve tried on a number of browsers and devices). Thanks

Userlevel 7

Hi all,

Hi Mike, I couldn’t view the event as the link took me to a blank page, as does that for the recording. I know others had this problem as there were comments on Sonos’ Twitter. Do we know why this issue occurred and could the video be added to YouTube maybe, so I and others can view? Just as the recording link still doesn’t work for me (I’ve tried on a number of browsers and devices). Thanks

Sonos posted it on YouTube yesterday: