Answered

using NAS with Sonos

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I’ve pretty much uploaded all of my music to my WDPR2100 NAS. Well at least on the tail end. It’s taking me over a week to figure it out and to copy to NAS. So I’m trying to figure out how to use my NAS to play music on Sonos now. I’m not having much luck. I’ve searched here and found a few old post. One post took me to this...https://support.sonos.com/s/article/78?language=en_US. I followed the directions on my Windows laptop and and my iPhone. Took me a few try’s on the iPhone to get to the Next button. I typed in \\y:mycloudpr2100\music and Next highlighted finally. But when I hit Next I get the message The computer y:mycloudpr2100 cannot be found. I tried my user name and password and still same message. Do I need to configure this on my Windows laptop first before my iPhone? What am I missing here? 

icon

Best answer by Dcgman#1 5 June 2021, 14:51

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

39 replies

Sonos uses the older SMBv1 protocol for sharing the library, so you probably need to change your NAS settings so that the NAS share supports that.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Sonos uses the older SMBv1 protocol for sharing the library, so you probably need to change your NAS settings so that the NAS share supports that.

That was my be of the first things I did when I was in my NAS settings. I selected all 3, SMBv1, 2

& 3.

Badge +20

The path you are using is incorrect / illegal, drop the “y:” and try again.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

The path you are using is incorrect / illegal, drop the “y:” and try again.

I dropped (y:) and typed in \\mycloudpr2100\music, user name and password and I get  access denied check user name and password. I thought maybe I typed wrong password but when I opened up on my iPad browser with user name and password I have access to my music files. 

Badge +20

Can you connect to \\mycloudpr2100\music using file explorer or whatever it’s called nowadays in Windows. In the utility you used to configure the NAS the name is mycloudpr2100 ?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Can you connect to \\mycloudpr2100\music using file explorer or whatever it’s called nowadays in Windows. In the utility you used to configure the NAS the name is mycloudpr2100 ?

Yes. I’m in it now uploading the rest of my music folders to NAS, MyCloudpr2100. While it’s uploading I’ve been trying to figure out how to use my NAS on my Sonos with my iPad and iPhone.  I knew going into this NAS thing it was going to take me some time as I am completely new to it. But I’ve figured out how to get my music library from from old Mac to new Windows laptop to NAS.

Badge +20

The music folder on the NAS is shared? in other words when you connect to \\mycloudpr2100\music you do then have tonavigate into the music folder.

beyond that try a router power cycle and then a restart of the NAS (best to use the WD utility to do this). Double check SMB 1 is still turned on,

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

The music folder on the NAS is shared? in other words when you connect to \\mycloudpr2100\music you do then navigate into the music folder.

beyond that try a router power cycle and then a restart of the NAS (best to use the WD utility to do this). Double check SMB 1 is still turned on,

If you mean shared as shared with pubic? No. When I first created the folder I named it music and another one for photos. Both are not shared to the public. But when opened it does navigate into the music file when I opened it up on my iOS (iPhone/iPad). I can see the music files being downloaded to MyCloud disk going from the Windows to NAS drive. I can’t power down the router right now as I’m still trying to finish up the music upload to NAS. I have over 64,000 files to transfer and more on another external hard drive I’ll do later. Just want to get most of my music in NAS to make sure everything works. 

Badge +20

Try just \\mycloudpr2100 and see what happens.

Do you have 64,000 music tracks?

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Try just \\mycloudpr2100 and see what happens.

Do you have 64,000 music tracks?

Yes. But 90% of it has been transferred to NAS already. I tried to transfer all of it at one time a couple of days ago and it kept stopping and I’d have to start over from where the last song took on my NAS. So I regrouped and started to go by alphabetically. I’m on the U & W’s right now. I started early this morning at 5 on the D’s. Maybe I’m doing it all wrong? But it seems to be transferring so far. Lol. I’m not that computer savvy for sure. But I think I’m getting it. I still have to do all my photos. After I can get my NAS playing on my Sonos first.

Badge +20

Sonos does not like large libraries unfortunately 65k is the max limit, there are workaround but most users hit the buffers waybefore 65k due to metadata / artwork.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Sonos does not like large libraries unfortunately 65k is the max limit, there are workaround but most users hit the buffers waybefore 65k due to metadata / artwork.

Yes I read that on the forum here. I’ll delete a lot of after I get everything in NAS. Just trying to get it into NAS first. I also have Plex, which I haven’t dealt with yet. That’s next. So I should still be able to get my Sonos to see my music files on my NAS? Correct? I just can’t sign in for it to see each other.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Maybe I need to start deleting some of the music files before?

Badge +20

You will be able to index your music on Sonos, there will be stuff missing.

when you can try a reboot , if no joy you will probably have to ring Sonos so they can connect and see what’s going on.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

You will be able to index your music on Sonos, there will be stuff missing.

when you can try a reboot 

Sorry, don’t understand. If I delete some music first? I might be able to index music on Sonos? But they’ll be stuff missing?

Badge +20

Sonos database fills up, not enough space so tracks / albums will not be listed if there are too many tracks. Less tracks, then fine.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

I think I understand you. My NAS is still filling up with my music. I’m sure it’s around 65,000 right now. The disk will keep filling up as there’s no limit except for the size of the disk (4TB, or 2TB each using one for backup). But my Sonos will not recognize the NAS disk right now because it has too many files (65,000). So that’s preventing me from signing on Sonos app you think? Do I need to delete my music files/songs down to around 60,000 before I can use NAS with Sonos? And thank you for being patient with me. I’m about to take a break from this and continue another time or day. A great way to spend a Friday. I started this venture over 10 days ago when my new laptop and WD NAS arrived. Just transferring from MAC to external drive to laptop took forever. Now I’m trying to get my Sonos to play from NAS. I was told it was an adventure and may take some time. Lol.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

That said all my music files has been transferred to NAS. Now I need to go to NAS MyCloud folder and start deleting down to 60,000 or less? Lol. I’m going backwards here. 

Badge +20

Just leave them for the time being and try and get the share connected.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Just leave them for the time being and try and get the share connected.

Okay. I’m going to take a time out and have a beer. I think it’s beer up time. I’ll regroup later. Maybe the timeout will do me some good. I know the beer will for sure. At least I have my files transferred. Geez. Thank you again for your help. I’ll be back. 

That said all my music files has been transferred to NAS. Now I need to go to NAS MyCloud folder and start deleting down to 60,000 or less? Lol. I’m going backwards here. 

It’s difficult to give exact figures, as it’s down to the number of tracks and the amount of store used by each track. So even though I only have about 38k tracks on line, I run out of Sonos store as many of those tracks are classical (which often have longer file name and more tag data).

There are ways around these limits, but none are ideal. Sonos caters more for streaming, not for local NAS access.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Update: after a nice long ipa, dinner break and tv time with the wife, I dove back in. Reading up more on the WD MyCloud community site I went back to my WD dashboard and changed a couple more settings and triple checking to make sure SMBv1 was on. There was a change in settings when you upgrade from My Cloud OS3 to OS5. Both NTLMv1 & SMBv1 has to be enabled. My SMBv1 already was. I enabled NTLMv1. After a couple more attempts in Music Library setup I get an Update Music Index Now. It was updating for 30 minutes when I went to bed. Woke up this morning and low and behold on my iPhone I guess it worked because I have the shared folder //mycloudpr2100/music along with old Mac and iTunes folder! So how do I play my NAS music library on my Sonos? I already have the My Cloud Home installed on my iPhone. Nothing happens when I open it up. No music folders/files to be found. Empty. I thought that is the app you use to play from NAS to Sonos?

Badge +20

Sonos app is what you need (music library) there is also aMy Cloud Home service that you can add to Sonos.

I thought that is the app you use to play from NAS to Sonos?

As Belly M said, the Sonos app is used to play music. However, if you’ve attempted to index all your files, then you’ll need to see what you’re missing.

Userlevel 2
Badge +6

Sonos app is what you need (music library) there is also aMy Cloud Home service that you can add to Sonos.

I thought that is the app you use to play from NAS to Sonos?

As Belly M said, the Sonos app is used to play music. However, if you’ve attempted to index all your files, then you’ll need to see what you’re missing.

I’m currently using the Sonos 2 app on my iPhone and iPad. And I went into Services & Voices and downloaded My Cloud Home (signed into my cloud account. It is in my Browse section along with all my other apps (TuneIn/Spotify/etc). When I open artist/albums/etc up there is nothing. It says No selections are available. Again, in my Music Library Setup MyCloud shared folder is listed. Am I missing something here? Amun what do you mean by attempting to index all your files? Try to pull up my music files on the My Cloud Home app?