Answered

Spotify skips to next song or stops playing, other sources work just fine meanwhile

Userlevel 1
The past couple of months when playing music from Spotify on any of the sonos speakers the music skips to the next song or stops playing at random points. It can be after 2 songs or half a day. The controller reports connection to spotify lost. Sometimes i can immediately click play again and it starts over but sometimes it takes 1-10 min before i can resume. Meanwhile i can play from other sources just fine so it seems like a Spotify specific issue. If i try to play using spotify connect then as i select the speaker, it changes it back to the previous target.
icon

Best answer by Edward R 19 June 2019, 13:58

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

269 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi there, I'm facing the exact same issue since a month or so. 502269708 please let me know where this is going wrong ? Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I've been having these issues lately. Only seems to happen with Spotify, while TuneIn and Pandora work fine. Just submitted a support diagnostics. The confirmation number is 629343782. Had Spotify dropping out, skipping songs and not being able to play the same song on 3-4 speakers at the same time within 10 minutes of submitting the diagnostics.

Hi there,

Thanks for sending in the report. Your system is having a hard time communicating wirelessly. This is likely due to wireless interference. Try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using. It may also help to move away any wireless electronics you find hear or in between your Sonos speakers.
I've been having these issues lately. Only seems to happen with Spotify, while TuneIn and Pandora work fine. Just submitted a support diagnostics. The confirmation number is 629343782. Had Spotify dropping out, skipping songs and not being able to play the same song on 3-4 speakers at the same time within 10 minutes of submitting the diagnostics.

Hi there,

Thanks for sending in the report. Your system is having a hard time communicating wirelessly. This is likely due to wireless interference. Try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using. It may also help to move away any wireless electronics you find hear or in between your Sonos speakers.

Thanks Jeff! Would it help to wire all of the Sonos speakers up? Plug them in with ethernet?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi there, I'm facing the exact same issue since a month or so. 502269708 please let me know where this is going wrong ? Thanks!

Thanks for sending in the report. Your speaker is losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. This can happen when there are many nearby wireless networks, especially if they are running on the same wireless channel as your own. Please try changing your router's wireless channel to 1, which is less crowded.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks for sending in the report. Your speaker is losing connection to your wireless network from time to time. This can happen when there are many nearby wireless networks, especially if they are running on the same wireless channel as your own. Please try changing your router's wireless channel to 1, which is less crowded.

Thank you very much for the response. I've tried switching Wifi channels using an Android app that shows which channels are in use already nearby. I tried several channels by now but the problem keeps appearing, Is there anything else I can try ? Streaming netflx for example doesn't give me any issues.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Thank you very much for the response. I've tried switching Wifi channels using an Android app that shows which channels are in use already nearby. I tried several channels by now but the problem keeps appearing, Is there anything else I can try ? Streaming netflx for example doesn't give me any issues.

You can try repositioning your speakers, or moving away any third party wireless electronics you find near or in between your speakers. If you send in a new diagnostic report I can take a look at the current wireless environment.
I am having the same issue, songs being played via Spotify cutting out, skipping and re-starting. Diagnostics #268906591.

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having the same issue, songs being played via Spotify cutting out, skipping and re-starting. Diagnostics #268906591.

Thanks!

Thanks for the report. It looks like there's a bit of interference from nearby wireless networks using the same channel as your own. Try changing your network's wireless channel over to 6 and see if that helps.
Having the same issue. I have narrowed it down to specific songs in spotify that I can reproduce the sonos device crash with. Diagnostics 941192306
Same issue. I also recently purchased Boost. Diag# 1608790465
Badge +2
@Sw00t Did you ever resolve your issue? I also have the same problem, "Connection to spotify was lost", happens on specific songs. It will play some flawlessly, then some it fails, sometimes the error is "Unable to play selected item", or "Selected file was not found", yet this is spotify, so there's no "File" to be played. Weird.

The fact that it's specific songs makes me think Sonos is having a hard time connecting to whichever server on spotify's end that's hosting it. Can someone from Sonos give us an idea of how playback from spotify works?
I am having the same problem... Cannot use Spotify with Sonos. Music keeps skipping and sometimes stops playing at all... please help! Diagnostic number 1758138165
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Spotify playback is pretty straight forward. It does depends on how you are accessing the music. For instance, starting playback from the Sonos app is different from starting playback from the Spotify app (via Direct Control). In one case, Sonos reaches out to Spotify to get the data, in the other Spotify is "casting" the data to Sonos.

In general, audio drop outs are indicative of a problem with getting data to the target player in time. In some cases, this is due to network bandwidth (downloading movies from iTunes, games from Steam, etc.) or there is interference (wireless and/or physical electronic interference) that is getting in the way of the data getting to the right place at the right time. Since each users local network is different (number and makes of all devices on the network) it can be a bit challenging to troubleshoot each individual network for each specific problem.

While it looks like the same end problem, each person in this thread could have a different reason for the same symptom of audio drop outs.

Important to note: Since mid April up to mid May, we have had a few outages both with Spotify Direct Control and Spotify playback in general on Sonos. Currently, all forms of Spotify playback should be working as expected.

@vspira - it appears three of your Sonos players (Quarto Casal, Banheiro Vivi & Banheiro Dudu) are all attaching to you network via wireless connection while the rest are going through a wired connection. Mixed setups like this can cause problems when trying to route data properly around Sonos. That said, I see you are using Google Wi-Fi, is it possible to plug any of the listed players into the network? How far are these speakers from the other Sonos speakers/units? Additionally, it may be a good idea to remove the wireless credentials from Sonos. This will force your players to talk with each other instead of being split.
I’m having the same issue. Spotify cuts out but other music services seem to work fine. Here is the diagnostic: 1106881984
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I’m having the same issue. Spotify cuts out but other music services seem to work fine. Here is the diagnostic: 1106881984

Hi there,

In your report I see quite a bit of wireless interference, which is causing some communication issues between your speakers. This could cause the issue you've described. Please try changing the wireless channel your Sonos system is using. It may also help to reboot your router and each Sonos unit.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
We have noticed this thread gaining a lot of traction of late, with most visitors to this thread opting not to actively engage in troubleshooting. The information in this post will be marked as the best answer to assist those reading along. If you are currently engaged in troubleshooting in this thread, we will of course continue to assist you.

Aside from the advice listed in this thread, if you are encountering playback issues with your Sonos devices, there are a few points you will need to explore. Some sources may seem fine, while others present problems. Often, services can be accessed in slightly different ways, with some methods being more susceptible to disruption, as when compared to others.

Is the issue the fact that your music is being interrupted? Commonly, this can come as a result of wireless interference. Are you perhaps using an incompatible network configuration or hardware that does not meet our system requirements?

Having read the information linked above, if you are still having issues, please post a response in this topic, with the following information:

• What devices do you have?
  • Has anything changed on the network?
  • Which service(s) are you trying to listen to?
  • Is the behaviour always the same?
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random?
Be sure to include the a diagnostics confirmation number, too.
Edward,

I just kind of gave up on troubleshooting my issue and avoided the songs that caused it by removing them from my playlists.

I am a cisco network engineer and my network is very simple. Cisco c9300-48p single switch, and cat6 hardwiring all patched in, single patch cable from the switch to my netgear nighthawk ac1900, single patch cable from the netgear to my comcast gigabit modem in bridge mode. All wiring has been tested and certified with my fluke. Wifi is multiple meraki mr42 all hardwired but that is no concern as the sonos and all my devices are hardwired.

The issue happens with specific songs in spotify whether i use the sonos app, or use sonos from iphone or desktop via directplay. The entire sonos crashes and goes offline. It automatically reboots itself and under directplay you see multiple devices with the same name for a couple minutes, then you can click the second one and it connects back up and works fine. But if you play the same song again it reproduces the same issue in the exact same spot/time.

I think at least in my specific case we can rule out interference or the network being the issue. What are your thoughts?
Hi I am having this issue of songs playing for around 20s then skipping. Sometimes playback stops completely needing manual intervention to restart.
  • I have 4 "Play:1"s grouped and a bridge
  • Nothing has changed on my network
  • Spotify
  • Behaviour seems a little unrepeatable in terms of the playback duration is always slightly different
  • It is fairly common lately but seems to be a bit random
Diagnostics confirmation number is: 1123297514
It is true that this is one of the undoing of spotfy. I use musconv and I can say that it works flawlessly.
I am having all kinds of skipping issues and since Spotify (and TuneIn) are my primary sources of music I really need help. I feel like the whole reason I have the system is to listen to music yet I cannot. Really frustrating.

• What devices do you have? Soundbar, subwoofer, (2) 1s, (1) 3.
  • Has anything changed on the network? Nothing
  • Which service(s) are you trying to listen to? Spotify and TuneIn
  • Is the behaviour always the same? In the sense that I can count on it skipping while I am listening, yes.
  • Can you recreate it with ease, or is it random? It is random.
Diagnostic Info Submissions:

please help!

-Hunter
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi I am having this issue of songs playing for around 20s then skipping. Sometimes playback stops completely needing manual intervention to restart.
  • I have 4 "Play:1"s grouped and a bridge
  • Nothing has changed on my network
  • Spotify
  • Behaviour seems a little unrepeatable in terms of the playback duration is always slightly different
  • It is fairly common lately but seems to be a bit random
Diagnostics confirmation number is: 1123297514

Hi there,

Thanks for the report. Overall your system's communication on your local network looks good. This issue seems to be upstream of your speakers. Try rebooting your router and each Sonos unit to update their network information, then test out Spotify again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
I am having all kinds of skipping issues and since Spotify (and TuneIn) are my primary sources of music I really need help. I feel like the whole reason I have the system is to listen to music yet I cannot. Really frustrating.

• Is the behaviour always the same? In the sense that I can count on it skipping while I am listening, yes.

please help!

-Hunter

It looks like there's a DNS issue of some sort, try rebooting your router and each Sonos player. Send along a new report if that doesn't clear things up.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
I think at least in my specific case we can rule out interference or the network being the issue. What are your thoughts?

Clearly wireless interference should not be an issue, so if you share a Diagnostic code then the Sonos folks should be able to help you. My WAG would be DNS as it sounds like you have a solid wired network but the diags should point out the root cause.

please help!

-Hunter
It looks like there's a DNS issue of some sort, try rebooting your router and each Sonos player. Send along a new report if that doesn't clear things up.

Thank you Jeff. I feel like the router and device resets seems to have helped a bit, but I am still having skipping issues, new Diagnostic: 582536583
Did a DNS reset. had some improved functionality for a bit, but things have fallen back into an intermittent mess.
Latest Diagnostic is here:

• What devices do you have? Soundbar, subwoofer, (2) 1s, (1) 3 (1) Connect
  • Has anything changed on the network? Added the Connect back to my system
This is just massively frustrating. Lots of money spent for a whole house audio system.