Recommended music - other than classical and pop

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

333 replies

Allen Toussaint, a recent discovery. His version of St James Infirmary from his album The Bright Mississippi is a good way to start the listening, but there are no duds on the entire album. Highly recommended.

I just heard Gino d'Auri, Flamenco Passion [2003]. Great recording, wonderful playing.

Good music. This also led me to albums by Gypsy Flamenco Masters - over twenty tracks on each CD. Guitars playing a range of music. Known, from Tears in Heaven to All along the Watchtower and many more, and as many that are new to me. Excellent recording and great value.
Been addicted to Ernie Watts' Classic Moods. Such a fantastic sax and piano album.
Checked out some of the recommendations, among them the Cafe Accordeon Orchestra. They are great fun and had my wife dancing through the living room in no time! So far I have been able to find everything on Spotify, so that is great. Are there any streaming services in India that let you check out the music?
Aupeo is the only one, two years after they started India services. One can select an artiste, not a specific album. I find iTunes to be handier, their 2 minute samples serve the purpose.
Thank you, I shall certainly check it out; I discovered him via The Wire - Way down in the hole is a classic.
I was lucky to go to a Vieux Farka Toure live show last month and after some searching I found Vieux Farka Toure Live and bought it. Excellent music of a genre I don't listen to often, driving African blues infused guitars, vocals and percussion.
Listening to the music at home again highlighted for me how much more of an experience the live show was. Not just the sound quality, but also the visible interactions between the members as well as the infectious joy in their music.
While the album is also live, I doubt I can sit through it at one sitting. The live show, at about 80 minutes, seemed to get over too soon!
In the meantime, from an Amazon review:
"The Small Change vocals are the Maginot Line for me. Any raspier and I can't listen. If I were stranded on a desert island and I could take only one Waits album, it would be Small Change. If I could take two, it would be Small Change and Heart of Saturday Night. If I could take three, I would pass and take an extra pair of underwear."
Also read this:
"Waits has a distinctive voice, described by critic Daniel Durchholz as sounding as though "it was soaked in a vat of bourbon, left hanging in the smokehouse for a few months, and then taken outside and run over with a car".
LOL.
Excellent recent find - sax/bass/drums played tight, well recorded jazz standards and originals released in 2014: Background Music, Noah Preminger.
Veronica Swift is a gifted young jazz vocalist, 2nd place winner of the Thelonious Monk competition a couple of years ago. No CDs yet, but rough mixes of her upcoming release are on SoundCloud, search for Unlimited Myles.

https://www.veronicaswift.com

GREAT find! Love it! Can never go wrong with sax, especially when it is playing the Sinatra standards...
In my recent blues music trawl, I came across the digital remaster of what reportedly is the only performance together of two greats - Louis Armstrong and Duke Ellington.
The remaster brings the sound quality right up to date, without suffering the over production present in the last of the Armstrong albums. Sublime music. Armstrong has never been in better voice and Ellington is solid in support as is the rest of the band. Does anyone know who else is on the horns?
Can never go wrong with sax, especially when it is playing the Sinatra standards...
Indeed. Another recent find is Ron Carter/Dear Miles - tribute to Miles album from 2007. No sax on this one, just Carter with piano and percussion, but very good. The Sub adds lots of depth to the bass lines.
Fado was defined by Amália Rodriguez. Perhaps the best of today's Fadistas is Cristina Branco. She sticks to the traditions of this great art form, instead of trying to make it on one of the dreadful Europop contests, as other Fadistas have done in recent years.

If you like Collin Walcott, may I suggest the group "Oregon". Walcott was a founding member, playing tabla and sitar until his untimely death in 1984. There are many Oregon albums on Deezer or equivalent, and they are consistently good.

Trilok Gurtu replaced Walcott in Oregon. He is a sensational percussionist, and has some solo albums too. I would recommend "Crazy Saints". He also played on a live album as part of the John McLaughlin Trio, with Kai Eckhardt, called "Live at the Royal Festival Hall" (not on subscription services).

Oregon came from "The Paul Winter Consort". Their album "Icarus" is worth a try (unfortunately also not on subscription services).

Cheers, Peter.
Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges Side by Side. Great album.

I have a lot of jazz, blues, roots music but I'm really loving Google Play and SONOS. I can search all the albums people suggest here and have a listen. If I like I save into a play list or favourites.

Great thread.
The king of Tango.

If you like Collin Walcott, may I suggest the group "Oregon".
Nice one, thanks. I am listening to their Winter Light and it is very good.
Duke Ellington and Johnny Hodges Side by Side. Great album.

Those two are just as good on Back to Back - be sure to listen to that one as well.

Another new find is Rez Abbasi - Guitar jazz trio with just a hint of South Asia. I found Continuous Beat to be the best yet.
For solo guitar - a good new find: One/Jonathan Kreisberg.
And an older just discovered gem: Characters/John Abercrombie.

An unusual trio of sax, guitar and bassist well worth a listen - Wolfgang Muthspiel: Drumfree.
No drums, the guitar and bass fill in for them.

Thanks, Drumfree is very enjoyable. I've not heard Wolfgang Muthspiel with this combination of instruments before, and I think it works very well.

I've seen him play in a trio of guitarists, with Slava Grigoryan (Australian classical guitarist) and Ralph Towner (guitarist from Oregon). The Muthspiel solos using a loop station were excellent, although I still prefer Towner's raw emotion.

Cheers, Peter.

I'd like to share my latest discovery - a US-based collective called "Snarky Puppy". Perhaps described as modern big-band jazz/rock/fusion, they may not be for everyone. However, their latest album "We Like It Here" is, in my opinion, very listenable. Very tight, very energetic, very talented, interesting compositions, and some of the best solos I've heard. It also sounds great with the Sonos SUB - the band leader is a bass player.

I particularly recommend the last track "Lingus". The keyboard solo by Cory Henry is simply outstanding. The album is available on subscription services, but also on youtube. Well worth watching that solo.

Cheers, Peter.