Recommended music - other than classical and pop

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

333 replies

Andra Day has been getting a lot of attention lately for her R&B/Soul/Jazz influenced singing. I love the fact that she has such a great sense of style and grace, so unlike most of today's singers. Not to mention a great voice.

She talks about her jazz influences, among other things, here:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/video/know-andra-day-margaret-cho-144415024.html
Badge
I don't know if you already talked about that, but I usually just listen to jazzradio.com when I am "too lazy" to pick my songs or I just use it as an inspiration, they have quite a big variety on their playlist.
Jazz radio was a favourite, right up to the time they stopped streaming to many countries outside the US.
Another wonderful fadista, Helena Sarmento. The timeless art of Fado.

I've no doubt mentioned Irene Kral here before, but the search on this forum is sooooo bad. Was she the perfect jazz vocalist? Her albums with Alan Broadbent have me believing it.

Also check out the second album, Countdown, by the 13 year old jazz prodigy, Joey Alexander, that is possibly even better than his extraordinary debut album, My Favorite Things.
And her diction is very clear in spite of being Italian, in a music genre where this is a challenge. And an aside on the easy on eyes subject - how many successful and ugly female singers have you come across? Double blind tests aren't only valid for audio kit, but I don't plan to go down that road much further:-). Eye candy always works.

Top of the line jazz, that. Chris Potter on some tracks is a nice bonus too.
Yes, very enjoyable. Thanks. And this guy's 13! I gotta say the second track, "Sunday Waltz", reminded me of of the Peter Allen song "I Still Call Australia Home".
I've no doubt mentioned Irene Kral here before, but the search on this forum is sooooo bad. Was she the perfect jazz vocalist? Her albums with Alan Broadbent have me believing it.

He, do I see a Quad ESL63 in the background? Great speakers. Irene Kral is going to sound great on that!
Has anyone mentioned the Spanish singer Andrea Motis yet (I missed a page in this thread)? Also check out her stuff on youtube. Watch her carefully on some of the older videos, she is only 16 and sings like a pro (with a dreadful English accent)! She has matured since then, but she charms my socks off!

Oops, saw Kumar recommended her on a previous page. I should have known.
Kumar,

Have you come across Anat Cohen yet? I would strongly recommend a track originally written by Dr "And The World Weeps". It is on her album Claroscuro but I prefer the live Youtube version with Paquito D'Rivera.
Oops, that should read Dr Lonnie Smith.
Emile, yes and I have her Vanguard album, I will look up Chiaroscuro, thanks. Couple of other Cohens too - Avishai Cohen who I think is a brother, is a good jazz trumpet player and another Avishai Cohen, on double bass. Also interesting, though I don't care for all of his music.

He, do I see a Quad ESL63 in the background? Great speakers. Irene Kral is going to sound great on that!

Good eye! Yes, she sounds very natural through the QUADs, as does most anything I listen to, if well recorded. I drove them with a Connect:Amp for years, but couldn't resist the "eye candy" appeal of the ONIX when it showed up on Craigslist for a song, lol.
I used to drive them with a (modified) Quad 306 (no eye candy I am afraid) and they sounded fantastic. The Onix looks smashing. I also love the contrast between it and the rough cabinet. Do you feel there is enough bass in the low register or do you compensate for that by means of a subwoofer?

Apologies for straying off topic.
Not a rock fan, so plenty of natural bass for my tastes. I've had plenty of sealed and ported designs, all sounded unnaturally boomy/boxy to me. The sound from the ESLs is just in the room, doesn't sound like it's coming from boxes, far more natural sounding to these ears.
While looking up Claroscuro, I found another Anat Cohen album that I liked - Luminosa. And on the former album I liked her rendering of an old favourite, La Vie En Rose; fresh take of an old tune that's nicely done, down to a Louis Armstrong imitation by someone, gravelly voice and all.
Seeing that it is that time of the year again, some music for the season that probably isn't heard to the death by now already:
Jazz for a Christmas present: Houston Person/Etta Jones
Christmas with Roger Whittaker
Winter Wonderland: Nicki Parrott
Blue Christmas: Various artistes on a Blue Note release -Kurt Elling, Benny Green, Joe Lovano and others
A Baroque Christmas: Boston Camerata
Christmas Album: Solo Guitar music by John Fahey

Not new music, but listenable. I haven't found any new releases this year that are not in the usual rut of what one hears over and over. Has anyone else been luckier?:-)
I was pawing through my grandfather's vinyls the other day and found Chet Atkins' East Tennessee Christmas. Beegie Adair's Winter Romance is quite enjoyable also. Nothing tops Karen Carpenter's voice in their Christmas Portrait. And, of course, A Jolly Christmas from Frank Sinatra.

I agree... nothing new and exciting in terms of Christmas music this season.
The Aimee Mann album is a cut above the usual, certainly and the Grinch song is a nice addition.

Lack of anything new led me to some interesting French and German Christmas music though, some of which is good and unique and not just the same music surrounding a different language. And although in English, Fairuz sings Christmas is also a nice change, from the Lebanon.

That is an album I haven't been able to buy on iTunes or find on Apple Music, for a couple of years now.