Recommended music - other than classical and pop

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

333 replies

Interesting and it is also well recorded, by the same folk responsible for some of the best recorded Oscar Peterson, the Exclusively for my Friends albums.
And available to stream from Apple Music...nice.
Thanks for highlighting the release:-)
I recently discovered a few compilations of great late night listening - superb blowing sessions from masters of the sax. The albums are culled from different records for a "Lovers" theme, but for the most part the music is very coherent across the album, being from one artiste. All jazz recordings of the 50s/60s, sounding fresh as any performed today. Very decent sound quality as well.
1. Ballads - Ike Quebec
2. Music for Lovers - albums by Dexter Gordon, Hank Mobley and Stanley Turrentine

And for one with more energy and swing, Curtis Fuller and Benny Golson on Bluesette.
Another excellent album from Ike Quebec is his Bossa Nova Soul Samba. Brazilian flavoured classic jazz without it being overtly so to the extent it gets predictable.
A great short description of the Ike Quebec Samba album: "Think of it as vintage Quebec blue note in the tint of a relaxed Brazilian glow."
He died of cancer in 1963 just three months after recording this one.
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - S.O.B. Love this song.
Nathaniel Rateliff & The Night Sweats - S.O.B. Love this song.

Interesting R&B and soul influences; Ray Charles and Van Morrison come to mind. Listen to Ray's early records to get a very similar groove.
Couple of new finds:
A jazz piano trio that does things that trios are well known for, but does it very well indeed - the Jeff Hamilton Trio. Tight and in the pocket are words that come to mind. Check the track Poinciana on the album The Best Things Happen to see what I mean. All tracks are good, but the trio gives a fresh new approach to music that Ahmad Jamal has owned for decades now.
And a new to me lady jazz vocalist who is Italian but still does an very good job with the American Songbook: Roberta Gambarini. Her debut album is excellent - Easy To Love. Well named, with a high quality back up ensemble as well..
And for piano jazz with a fresh twist, check out Jacky Terrasson, album Smile. Listen to Nardis and Autumn Leaves to get a sense of what he does to refresh old tunes. Recording is audiophile quality, best heard on a play 1 pair in the near field.