Recommended music - other than classical and pop

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

333 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +8
Radio Paradise is also good for an eclectic mix of music.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
This is a great thread. TY @Kumar and all the other participants.

This is removed from what I usually listen to (downtempo/ chill/ electronic and classical) so I am looking forward to exploring!
Radio Paradise is also good for an eclectic mix of music.
Yes, and although I think their streams are lower kbps that the Linn ones, it doesn't seem to affect how good their selections sound.

I am not sure there is a thread on what Sonos is truly about - the music, so this might be an interesting thread. I have left out classical because that deserves a thread of its own and modern pop because it all sounds the same to me.
I have Phil Keaggy strumming Solitude from his Acoustic Sketches album right now in the bedroom on a play 1 pair and sounding very good indeed.
Recently heard and equally good music and mastering:
1. Michel Petrucciani and NHOP
2. Beyond the Missouri Sky - Metheny and Haden
3. Chiaroscuro - Fresu and Towner
4. Jan Johannsen - Jazz pa Svenska
5. The Astounding Eyes of Rita - Anouar Brahem
6. Last Dance/Jasmine - Jarrett and Haden
7. Saturday Morning - Ahmad Jamal
8. Melos - Paolo Fresu
All but the last are ITunes 256kbps purchases, the last a lossless CD rip.
Very little lost in translation for the lossy thing and Sonos convenience.
Any recommendations on similar music that uses the silence between the notes effectively?

Amazing, with one or two alterations I could have written this. Great taste:D

I just heard Gino d'Auri, Flamenco Passion [2003]. Great recording, wonderful playing.
Don't forget Brahem's Le pas du chat noir with the absolutely astounding track 'Leila Au Pays Du Carrousel'

I just heard Gino d'Auri, Flamenco Passion [2003]. Great recording, wonderful playing.
Don't forget Brahem's Le pas du chat noir with the absolutely astounding track 'Leila Au Pays Du Carrousel'

Thanks, I will check that out.
I have all of the Brahem ECM albums, I mentioned just the one to keep the list short. Some are better than others, but all are good.
Great thread thanks for all the recommendations!
What about
Lars Danielsson & Leszek Mozdzer - Pasodoble
Ulrich Drechsler Cello Quartet - Concinnity (not all great but some real jewels)
Arifa - Anatolian Alchemy (features superb clarinetist Alex Simu)
Chantal Chamberland - This is our time (late at night)

I have never heard of Chantal Chamberland. Wow. Just bought three of her albums from Amazon. Can't wait to pour that first martini tonight while listening to her.
I have never heard of Chantal Chamberland. Wow. Just bought three of her albums from Amazon. Can't wait to pour that first martini tonight while listening to her.

If you like Chantal, you might also enjoy Cafe Accordion Orchestra.

http://www.cafeaccordion.com/
Not new, but an old favorite, a true classic, conjured up by voice command!

Thanks, I'll check it out too (why else do we have a subscription to Spotify?).
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Yes Chicks - Know it well - a classic. Still have it on cd (stored in a box in the attic ! ) I tried - but voice command failed to wake it up.! 😠 I blame Sonos. They should have anticipated this surely!!

Anything else from anyone?

Paul White on alto-sax on "This is our time" is outstanding ... and incredibly sexy especially on the title track. Also check out "Here comes the rain again", "Don't explain" and "When you leave".
There is so much from Oscar Peterson, that it isn't easy to pick his best. My personal preferences include his We Get Requests album, and the 4-5 albums recorded at a residence in Germany, all titled Exclusively For My Friends, with sub titles and volume numbers distinguishing each album in the set.

For a different time/mood, Joe Bonamassa, with Different Shades of Blue as an excellent introduction to his work.

Lars Danielsson & Leszek Mozdzer - Pasodoble
Chantal Chamberland - This is our time (late at night)

Good ones these - I bought them and while doing so I also found another great album, Ulf Wakenius - Vagabond.
More favourites, very well recorded:
Rosslyn - John Taylor
Heartplay - Haden and Forcione
Cloud Dance - Collin Wallcott
Things - Fresu and Caine
Michel Petrucciani - Solo live in Germany
Enrico Rava - Easy Living
My idea of "smooth jazz". Can't abide the Kenny G. kind...

You're putting up some fantastic stuff, Kumar... stuff I never knew existed. One of the best parts is Amazon is now recommending related artists and I'm finding even more. Interesting though... Cloud Dance - Collin Wallcott... they have a copy for a thousand bucks. Wow. No thanks... I'll just download it for $10.32.

Is this stuff big in India, or just to your tastes?
Clifford Brown, a huge talent sadly cut down in his prime.

. Cloud Dance - Collin Wallcott... they have a copy for a thousand bucks. Wow. No thanks... I'll just download it for $10.32.

Is this stuff big in India, or just to your tastes?

No, it isn't big here. Perhaps that is why it is very well priced on iTunes for India located buyers - Cloud Dance is for Rs 96, approx USD 1.50:D.
Wallcott's Dawn Dance is good too, more introspective.
PS: And I too say God bless the internet! And digressing a little, I have found excellent sound quality from most of my ITunes albums, played via Sonos front end set ups - equalling any I have heard in the past via CDs/SACDs with high end kit. It just comes down to performance/recording/mastering quality.
I also found another great album, Ulf Wakenius - Vagabond.

This led to a couple of more excellent finds - his Momento Magico.
And a Korean jazz woman singer, almost all in English - an unusual combination. Youn Sun Nah, album Same Girl - very well recorded too.
Thanks to you, Amazon recommended someone named Beverly Kenney. I just bought her album Born To Be Blue. Awesome album with the instrumentation that I love and her jazz-style voice.
A third release already? I must search it out. Monk isn't easy to interpret well.
PS: Glorious. My first purchase on iTunes this year, some albums merit more than just being available for streaming when necessary.
Where does he go from here, given that he is just 14?!
Amazon does a great job - in their interest, but even so very useful - of allowing users to explore more similar music. One con is that the 5 star ratings have been devalued by over liberal user use, almost every album with double digit and more reviews seems to have a few 5 star ratings.
My approach is to use Amazon for browsing and then switch to iTunes where the samples are more useful, being longer. And in my case because ITunes is priced for the market, while Amazon music downloads are not, it makes sense for me to save up to 90% of the Amazon prices by using iTunes.